Jevon Kear$e

northern tiger

PHILADELPHIA -- Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jevon Kearse passed a physical Thursday and will join the Eagles to fill the team's biggest need on defense.

Kearse and the Eagles agreed to a $66 million, eight-year contract on Wednesday, the first day of the NFL's free agency period.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1750868

Did he get paid too much or is that just me. I wish he had signed with the Bears but he's too injury prone for that price.

Foot injuries are a byotch. It's either going to heal properly or it's just going to be a problem for the rest of his career. You see whats become of a "minor" ankle injury for Grant Hill. ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by jstate83
Foot injuries are a byotch. It's either going to heal properly or it's just going to be a problem for the rest of his career.

If he's playing in the NFC East, I'm hoping it'll be the latter.:D

Bad move on Philadelphia's part.

I wouldn't pay an injury prone veteran like Kearse an average of $8.5 Million a year. Philadelphia signed Kearse based on what he did in his first two years which was getting a combined 26 sacks. I say to hell with all of that potential stuff. Get the guys who are producing. There are a few young defensive ends that are making a name for themselves that they could have signed at a lower salary like Bertrand Berry of the Broncos. In his second year of starting he had 11.5 sacks. Berry's backup, Reggie Hayward, also had a good year with 8.5 sacks, although he isn't a speed rusher like Kearse is. There are other guys out there that they could have signed like Grant Wistrom who signed with Seattle. Wistrom signed a 6 yr $33M contract with the Seahawks. That's half of the value of Kearse's deal. Besides those three that I named, there are many many free agent defensive ends on the market.

IMO, what Philadelphia needed to be doing instead of signing an injury-prone defensive end was to sign some decent offensive players to surround Donovan McNabb with. Surely, anyone that watches football know that those WRs they have (i.e. Thrash and others) cost them big time in the NFC Championship.

However, while it pains me to see these NFL teams throwing money around like this to players who aren't worth the money, I'm not disappointed. Philadelphia is following the same pattern that the Redskins are: Waste money now. Pay for it later. They are spending big money only to take cap hits in the next several years after they rid themselves of players that aren't worth what they are being paid (still SMH@ the Mark Brunell deal). As my Cowboys are beginning to make waves and come back up, those two teams and their spending "ways" will make it easier for the Cowboys to rule the NFC East for a number of years.

BTW, for the record, I'll hate seeing Keyshawn's punk arse wearing the Silver Star.

There are a few young defensive ends that are making a name for themselves that they could have signed at a lower salary like Bertrand Berry of the Broncos. In his second year of starting he had 11.5 sacks. Berry's backup, Reggie Hayward, also had a good year with 8.5 sacks, although he isn't a speed rusher like Kearse is.

That's just it. Players like Bert Berry (btw is from Humble High outside Houston) are not going to be that easy to get from their teams. Denver will probably ink him to a deal. He is a bargain for them and they will pay him enough for him to be happy to stay.

Also Philly fans don't want to hear about no signing of a Bert Berry guy for big money. They have no idea he is a good player. Jevon Kearse's signing has Philly fan talking Super Bowl again even after the 3 year heartbreak. He's a big name. The owners know that. That will keep them ticket sells going. Kearse when healthy is obviously a very talented player. Remember NFL contracts are not guarnteed. So it was not a bad gamble.

Originally posted by JR
Remember NFL contracts are not guarnteed. So it was not a bad gamble.

The signing bonus is in the sense that it's up front money that counts against the cap for the duration of the contract.

Originally posted by SoloMan
The signing bonus is in the sense that it's up front money that counts against the cap for the duration of the contract.

True. That's why they have signing bonuses in the NFL. The players have to get something out the deal and it lets the team circumvent the cap. Like Peyton Manning's deal. He'll never play that long probably, but he got 34 million up front. So essentially he got his money and the team got cap relief to sign other players.

Kearse got 16 million up front and a 4 million roster bonus for the next 2 years, so basically 2million extra per year. Now his overall deal is 66 million for 8 years so break it out like this.

So his salary each year will be 8 million for the first 2 years. That includes the 2 year roster bonus. And 6 million per year for the next 6 after that. We know Kearse aint going to play at that level for the next 8 years. Philly knows it too. They will be letting Kearse go in about 4 years unless he is really kicking arse or be asking him to redo his deal to get them under the cap. So in reality the Eagles will probably only have to pay out a total of 36 million if Kearse plays 4 years with them. At that time he will be 32 and heading on the downside of his career. Then Philly will do what all teams do, cut him. Those contracts are a joke compared to baseball and basketball. Aint like the NBA contracts, where 66 million is 66 million no matter what.

Correction, I just found his contract breakdown online. Heck the Eagles actually did better than I originally posted. Read below.

The breakdown on the Jevon Kearse contract with the Eagles: an initial signing bonus of $12 million and roster bonuses totaling $8 million in the first three years. Base salaries of $535,000 (for 2004), $825,000 (2005), $2.14 million (2006), $5.2 million (2007), $6.46 million (2008), $7.72 million (2009), $8.98 million (2010) and $10.24 million (2011). There are annual workout bonuses of $125,000 for 2005-2008. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1751618

He will never see those big salary increases in 2007-2011. That's 38.6 million of the 66 million right there.

Originally posted by GramFan
Bad move on Philadelphia's part.
There are a few young defensive ends that are making a name for themselves that they could have signed at a lower salary like Bertrand Berry of the Broncos. In his second year of starting he had 11.5 sacks.

You can just about wrap Berry up in Blue and Gray!:nod:
He and his agent visited the Cowboys yesterday and had some promising discussions.

And I feel the same about Keyshawn!:redhot:
Why'd you do it Tuna? Why?

Back