Jerry Rice Post-Retirement

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Was sitting here watching ESPN pre-superbowl stuff and they enterviewed Jerry Rice on his career and of coarse asked if this was his last year, when would he retire if it wasn't.

Will Jerry Rice find his way back to a coaching position in the SWAC after he retires,, kinda like Doug Williams?

If I was running a program....I'll already know whether Jerry Rice wants to coachor not. He shouldn't have to fine his way back to the SWAC. Jerry would be an upgrade for every school in the SWAC.

If Rice goes into coaching, it would only be because he can't stay away from the game. He sure as hell doesn't need the money. I look for him to get a front office type job somewhere a la Marino, probably with the Niners.....

Originally posted by PNeck019
If Rice goes into coaching, it would only be because he can't stay away from the game. He sure as hell doesn't need the money. I look for him to get a front office type job somewhere a la Marino, probably with the Niners.....

I agree.

I would be shocked that Rice would want to coach. With his personal standards so high, it is my experience that such persons tend not to make good coaches. They tend to expect too much of their players. Still, Jerry could be one of those exceptions.

Originally posted by dacontinent
I would be shocked that Rice would want to coach. With his personal standards so high, it is my experience that such persons tend not to make good coaches. They tend to expect too much of their players. Still, Jerry could be one of those exceptions.

I don't know if he wants to get into coaching, but it sure would be nice if the SWAC as a conference would do something to encourage Rice and many of our former standouts to get involved in SWAC activities. The one area they could have an impact would be in promotion's. These guys would be good at selling the conference to new fans and corporate America for sponsorships.

A little off topic, but related.....

Does anyone know if Rice has made many significant financial contributions to MVSU?

There's no Valley folks on here....lol, so maybe no one knows.....

A little off topic, but related.....

Does anyone know if Rice has made many significant financial contributions to MVSU?

There's no Valley folks on here....lol, so maybe no one knows.....

The schools get a cut of all those SWAC throwbacks, by agreement with the players -- or their estates (Rice, Payton and Williams). So, in that way, at least ... the answer is yes.

Originally posted by cat daddy
I don't know if he wants to get into coaching, but it sure would be nice if the SWAC as a conference would do something to encourage Rice and many of our former standouts to get involved in SWAC activities. The one area they could have an impact would be in promotion's. These guys would be good at selling the conference to new fans and corporate America for sponsorships.

Good point. That would be a great idea for the SWAC. All HBCU conferences need to somehow parlay their NFL connections into good promotion. Maybe it will happen.

To the other posts, i could see Rice's personality being a factor in him not being interested in coaching. points taken. i would then say, why did Doug Williams comeback? Will McNair come back and coach? maybe since McNair is in the south and still has exposure to the HBCU environment, he'd come back. you think?

Originally posted by Bartram
... i would then say, why did Doug Williams comeback? Will McNair come back and coach? maybe since McNair is in the south and still has exposure to the HBCU environment, he'd come back. you think?

You'll really have to ask Coach Williams.

My guess is that he knew that he was the only guy who could follow the legend AND that he really does love Grambling. I think that it is significant that he took jobs as an assistant in other places before coming back to Grambling. Part of that was surely to learn what is done for the programs in other places and to use those lessons to build a better program at Grambling. Another part was to develop his own coaching philosophy apart from that of Coach Robinson.

It's tough following a legend. Doug was always a coach on the field as a player both in the college and professional ranks. I just don't see the same kinds of qualities in Jerry Rice.

With all due respect to Doug and his playing accomplishments, you can't compare his pro career with Rice's.

Rice is the greatest WR of all time, without much argument for anyone else.

Doug, while he won a Super Bowl, was an average to slightly above average NFL quarterback. Nobody ever mentions him when the all-time great QBs are talked about.

Back