Jenkins announces three new coaches to ASU Football staff

Sting

Alabama State University head football coach Brian Jenkins announced the hiring of three new coaches to his staff on Monday.

Osita Alaribe, Grady Brown and Rob Hudson will join Jenkins and the Hornets football staff this season. Alaribe comes to Alabama State as the defensive coordinator from Tennessee State.

"Osita is a bright defensive minded coach," Jenkins said. "His teachings, philosophy and expected style of play should allow us to play championship football."

During eight seasons at Tennessee State, Alaribe was the defensive line and defensive coordinator for the Tigers. In 2013, he guided Tennessee State to a No. 1 national ranking in total defense for eight straight weeks and finished sixth in the nation. The Tigers were ranked No. 1 in every major defensive category in the Ohio Valley Conference, which helped produce a 10-4 and their first playoff appearance since 1999.

http://bamastatesports.com/news/201...-three-new-coaches-to-asu-football-staff.aspx

Alabama State University head football coach Brian Jenkins announced the hiring of three new coaches to his staff on Monday.

Osita Alaribe, Grady Brown and Rob Hudson will join Jenkins and the Hornets football staff this season. Alaribe comes to Alabama State as the defensive coordinator from Tennessee State.

"Osita is a bright defensive minded coach," Jenkins said. "His teachings, philosophy and expected style of play should allow us to play championship football."

During eight seasons at Tennessee State, Alaribe was the defensive line and defensive coordinator for the Tigers. In 2013, he guided Tennessee State to a No. 1 national ranking in total defense for eight straight weeks and finished sixth in the nation. The Tigers were ranked No. 1 in every major defensive category in the Ohio Valley Conference, which helped produce a 10-4 and their first playoff appearance since 1999.

http://bamastatesports.com/news/201...-three-new-coaches-to-asu-football-staff.aspx

Good hires...The Tennessee State former coach should bring a lot to the defense. Actually, I would have preferred that State waited another year to hire him. Grady is a former A&M player and has been around at some top quality programs and will be good for State.

Good hires...The Tennessee State former coach should bring a lot to the defense. Actually, I would have preferred that State waited another year to hire him. Grady is a former A&M player and has been around at some top quality programs and will be good for State.
Hated to see him leave the first time he was here. Why do you prefer we hire our DC next year?

TNState's defense is typically very talented all over AND strong up front. If ASU can't duplicate the talent, the hire won't matter.

I agree, you got to have the talent that Tenn St usually has. Rod Reed let him go, so obviously they wanted to move in a different direction. I hope it works out, but Jenkins has a reputation of running coaches off and micromanaging. We will see Bama St at the MCC, good luck!!!

Jenkins better make the right moves because I can't see him surviving after this season. He has been a major disappointment so far.

He had a staggered contract that paid him 175k yr 1, 200k yr 2, and 250 yr 3. So I agree, if he doesn't win this year, he is gone with the financial situation at ASU.

Jenkins seat is very warm at the moment. I feel that if Alabama St. doesn't challenge Alcorn for the EAST they will be calling for his head. I thought he was going to come in and become a major threat to Alcorn. However Spady seat is Hell HOT. if Spady doesn't win the EAST with him returning the most starters in the SWAC and don't have to play Southern or Grambling, I believe he is gone.

Jenkins seat is very warm at the moment. I feel that if Alabama St. doesn't challenge Alcorn for the EAST they will be calling for his head. I thought he was going to come in and become a major threat to Alcorn. However Spady seat is Hell HOT. if Spady doesn't win the EAST with him returning the most starters in the SWAC and don't have to play Southern or Grambling, I believe he is gone.

we only play SU! Spady is in the last year of his contract so its all on him if he wants a renewal.

TNState's defense is typically very talented all over AND strong up front. If ASU can't duplicate the talent, the hire won't matter.

Probably the first and only time I ever agreed with you.

Alaribe is not that good. He used the scheme of the previous coordinator who went to Southern Miss and couldn't do that right. Coach Reed took over the defense the last two games of the season.

He is not very good at making in game adjustments but is a decent recruiter.

Good luck with the hire tho!

Inexperience killed us last season. We had several teams on the ropes last year but choked in the 4th quarter. We will be bringing about a lot of guys with experience plus some key players on both sides of the ball.

Honestly, all the SWAC East coaches on the Hot Seat! It should be an interesting year!!!

Alcorn- use to winning championships under Hobson. Fans support McNair, but he needs to win. If they don't win in 2017, he better get in done in 2018.
AAMU- Last year of Spady contract, 6-5 and challenge for a SWAC Championship is a must.
Bama St- Last year of Jenkins contract, paying him 250k this year so SWAC Championship or bust.
JSU- Hughes the recruiter better show he can coach and show progress in year 2, if not he will be exposed and JSU fans will be calling for his head.
MVSU- Comegy has to win more than 2 games, I get the feeling no one can win at Valley!

As you can see, this is my predicted order of finish in the East, but don't be surprised if my Bulldogs are in the SWAC Championship. I am being objective and not just picking with my heart, on paper and what Alcorn has, they are the team to beat in the East, but that is why we play the game.

Honestly, all the SWAC East coaches on the Hot Seat! It should be an interesting year!!!

Alcorn- use to winning championships under Hobson. Fans support McNair, but he needs to win. If they don't win in 2017, he better get in done in 2018.
AAMU- Last year of Spady contract, 6-5 and challenge for a SWAC Championship is a must.
Bama St- Last year of Jenkins contract, paying him 250k this year so SWAC Championship or bust.
JSU- Hughes the recruiter better show he can coach and show progress in year 2, if not he will be exposed and JSU fans will be calling for his head.
MVSU- Comegy has to win more than 2 games, I get the feeling no one can win at Valley!

As you can see, this is my predicted order of finish in the East, but don't be surprised if my Bulldogs are in the SWAC Championship. I am being objective and not just picking with my heart, on paper and what Alcorn has, they are the team to beat in the East, but that is why we play the game.

If Hughes is worth anything, he will be in Houston. A good JSU coach does not lose to sorry teams. Comegy lost to some sorry teams his first year and did well after that. Maybe Hughes will do the same. Maybe...

If Hughes is worth anything, he will be in Houston. A good JSU coach does not lose to sorry teams. Comegy lost to some sorry teams his first year and did well after that. Maybe Hughes will do the same. Maybe...

JSU does not have the player talent or coaching to be successful. At one time your talent pool was good, especially when you all had those transfers who were extremely talented. Right now Milsaps College is the best college football team in Jackson, Mississippi. However, I hope things get better and you all are once again competitive.

Back