Jam Master Jay, Run-DMC DJ, Killed In Shooting

jelli

Music Lover
Jam Master Jay, Run-DMC DJ, Killed In Shooting
10.30.2002 10:48 PM EST

Jam Master Jay
Photo: Arista
sq-jay-face-on-black-aris.jpg

NEW YORK ? Legendary hip-hop DJ Jam Master Jay of Run-DMC was shot and killed in Queens on Wednesday (October 30), according to group representative Dave Goodsen.

Police have confirmed that two men were shot inside a studio on Merrick Boulevard at 7:30 p.m. local time and say the victims have not been identified.

According to police, one man was dead on arrival after being rushed to a local hospital. Representatives for Run-DMC claim the victim was Jam Master Jay, a.k.a. Jason Mizell.

Police did not disclose the condition of the other victim.

Right before the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards in August, Darryl McDaniels, a.k.a. Jay's longtime musical compatriot DMC, said that the Queens group was going to hit the studio and road for an album and tour in commemoration of their 20th anniversary (see "Run-DMC Plan Return To B-Boyism On Anniversary LP").

Run-DMC, who recently wrapped a tour with Kid Rock and Aerosmith, were scheduled to perform Thursday (October 31) as part of the half-time festivities at a Washington Wizards home game.

MTV News will have more on this story as it develops.

This from Yahoo News

Jam Master Jay Dies in NYC Shooting
6 minutes ago
By DEVLIN BARRETT and NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, Associated Press Writers

NEW YORK (AP) - Jam Master Jay, part of the pioneering rap trio Run DMC, was shot and killed Wednesday, the group's publicist said.

Publicist Tracy Miller confirmed the death of the 37-year-old rapper, whose real name was Jason Mizell.

The shooting happened on Merrick Boulevard in the Jamaica section of Queens, a law enforcement source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Run DMC fans were gathering at the scene, some hugging each other and crying.

this is a sad day in hip -hop....

The law enforcement source said the rapper was shot in the head about 7:30 p.m. and a second person was shot in the ankle and rushed to a nearby hospital. The source said the shooter was at large.

Run DMC is widely credited with helping bring hip-hop into music's mainstream, including the group's smash collaboration with Aerosmith (news - web sites) on the 1980s standard "Walk This Way."

"We always knew rap was for everyone," Mizell said in a 2001 interview with MTV. "Anyone could rap over all kinds of music."

"It wasn't the soulful R&B of the '70s and '80s," he said of the group's early work. "So we didn't want to be like the soft R&B. We wanted to go hardcore, so we put the rock-and-roll on our rap."

The trio released a greatest-hits album earlier this year. In 2001, the rappers produced Crown Royal, breaking an eight-year silence.

In 1986, the trio said they were outraged by the rise of fatal gang violence in that Los Angeles area. They called for a day of peace between warring street gangs.

"This is the first town where you feel the gangs from the minute you step into town to the time you leave," Mizell said at the time.

This from Yahoo News

Jam Master Jay Dies in NYC Shooting
6 minutes ago
By DEVLIN BARRETT and NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, Associated Press Writers

NEW YORK (AP) - Jam Master Jay, part of the pioneering rap trio Run DMC, was shot and killed Wednesday, the group's publicist said.

Publicist Tracy Miller confirmed the death of the 37-year-old rapper, whose real name was Jason Mizell.

The shooting happened on Merrick Boulevard in the Jamaica section of Queens, a law enforcement source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. Run DMC fans were gathering at the scene, some hugging each other and crying.

this is a sad day in hip -hop....

The law enforcement source said the rapper was shot in the head about 7:30 p.m. and a second person was shot in the ankle and rushed to a nearby hospital. The source said the shooter was at large.

Run DMC is widely credited with helping bring hip-hop into music's mainstream, including the group's smash collaboration with Aerosmith (news - web sites) on the 1980s standard "Walk This Way."

"We always knew rap was for everyone," Mizell said in a 2001 interview with MTV. "Anyone could rap over all kinds of music."

"It wasn't the soulful R&B of the '70s and '80s," he said of the group's early work. "So we didn't want to be like the soft R&B. We wanted to go hardcore, so we put the rock-and-roll on our rap."

The trio released a greatest-hits album earlier this year. In 2001, the rappers produced Crown Royal, breaking an eight-year silence.

In 1986, the trio said they were outraged by the rise of fatal gang violence in that Los Angeles area. They called for a day of peace between warring street gangs.

"This is the first town where you feel the gangs from the minute you step into town to the time you leave," Mizell said at the time.

These guys were legends. They were the guys who broke through on MTV when they recorded "Walk this way" with AeroSmith. Before then, MTV wasn't playing Rap.

Hate to hear this. I hope there's Rap in heaven.

WTF? I didn't believe it when I first heard it. I still can't.

my mom is in tears.....she old school to heart and this was her favorite group..........it must be gettin very entertaining in heaven with all these musical greats.....biggie....pac...left eye.....and my girl aaliyah....now a legend....:(

Originally posted by XHALE9802
dang, this nicca was just in B'ham for Classic, he was DJ'ing for one of the parties, this is so sad.

one day u r here the next u r gone

R. I. P Dj Jam Master Jay u will be missed:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I heard it on BET also. This is sad. RUN-DMC was my favorite hip hop group from back in the day. I'm still kinda in denial it just hasn't really hit me yet.

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
I heard it on BET also. This is sad. RUN-DMC was my favorite hip hop group from back in the day. I'm still kinda in denial it just hasn't really hit me yet.

Ditto

We're RUN DMC, & Jam Master Jay

RUN-DMC were slated to perform here tonight, at halftime of the Wizards home opener.

"He's Jam Master Jay, the big beat blasta, he gets better cause he knows he has ta, in 84 he'll be a little fasta, on the turntables he's a real Grand Masta."

"....he'll make ya say, g'dayum dat dj made my day..."

RIP JMJ.

NICE

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Unbelievable. When will it all stop. Just a senseless loss of life.:shame:

RIP JMJ, one of the greatest DJ's ever in Hip-Hop.

this is so foul. Then they say that two men were buzzed in the building just prior to the shooting..hmmmmm and I guess no one knows who the two men were either:confused:

My prayers go out to the family he leaves behind.

Originally posted by ms.sonic96
Then they say that two men were buzzed in the building just prior to the shooting..hmmmmm and I guess no one knows who the two men were either:confused:

Precisely. Two men buzzed in wearing masks. JMJ gets shot in the head and the other guy shot in the ankle? I dont think that there was no attempt of robbery or anything like that, cause they did not say that the guys tried or stole anything. Sounds fishy to me.

Well DJ Run my name,
Jam Master J is his,
hes DMC its like that and thats the way its isssssssss

:bawling:

RIP Jam Master J!

Back