It's Baseball Time!!!

b8sball17

North Carolina A&T begins the season this weekend (Jan 25)against Savannah State and Morris Brown takes on Mercer.

Del State begins the 31st in LA against McNeese State.

The rest was taken from the Black College Baseball site.

January 20 - Maryland Eastern Shore - Charles ?Chucky? Pickard, a former baseball standout for the University of Maryland Eastern Shore signed a professional contract with the Cook County Cheetahs of the Frontier League in early January. The Cheetahs finished third in the West Division of the league last season.

2003 Polls

RANK/COLLEGE/ UNIVERSITY

1.Bethune-Cookman College
2.Southern University
3.Delaware State University
4.Florida A&M University
5.Texas Southern University
6.North Carolina A&T
7.Jackson State University
8.Univ. Arkansas-Pine Bluff
9.Grambling State University
10.Alabama State University

MEAC Predicted Finishes

South

*Bethune Cookman
Florida A&M
North Carolina A&T
Norfolk State

North
Delaware State
Coppin State
Maryland- Eastern Shore

SWAC Predicted Finishes

East

Jackson State
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Alabama A&M
Mississippi Valley

West

*Southern University
Texas Southern
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Grambling State
Prairie View A&M

b8sball17,

Someone said last season said that Bethune's Coach and more than half of their team was Hispanic. Is this true? Also, why are they ranked higher than SU if SU is ranked like 37 in the nation by one big time national publication? How does the SWAC compare overall to the MEAC and Independents in Baseball?

They are rank 37th by Collegiate Baseball.

Originally posted by THAMES
b8sball17,

Someone said last season said that Bethune's Coach and more than half of their team was Hispanic. Is this true? Also, why are they ranked higher than SU if SU is ranked like 37 in the nation by one big time national publication? How does the SWAC compare overall to the MEAC and Independents in Baseball?

Bethune has a large number of hispanics.

Collegiate Baseball has SU Ranked 37th. Baseball America does not have them or BCC ranked in the top 50. BCC does have 5 top 50 teams on their schedule that they split with (won some/ lost some) last year. From what I could make out on SU's schedule, I only counted 2.

I had a good talk with a SU alum and scout who says SU may have as many as 10 draft pics (later rounds, but who cares) at the end of this season.

According to BA, The MEAC (27) was ranked higher than the SWAC (29) last season by rpi. However, BA ranked the SWAC (27) and the MEAC (30) when it comes to "talent and relative strenght to all teams in the conference."

particle article in BA on Weeks. (The All-American Report)

MIDDLE INFIELD
It used to be that second base was the position where college prospects go to die, but not anymore. In recent years, college second basemen have become hot commodities in the draft. Three went in the first round alone in 2001: Louisiana State?s Mike Fontenot, Southern?s Michael Woods and Georgia Tech?s Richard Lewis.

But now comes the ultimate challenge?can a college second baseman be the first overall pick in the draft? Southern?s Rickie Weeks is projected to do just that after leading NCAA Division I in batting, slugging (.996), triples (for the second straight year) and tying for the lead in RBIs last year. His upside masks a pedestrian draft-eligible class of middle infielders.

"We have this tendency as scouts to be a little psycho with tools," an NL scouting director said. "But you look at the World Series, and those two shortstops (David Eckstein and Rich Aurilia) were college guys who weren?t supposed to play shortstop in the big leagues."

Rickie Weeks, 2b, Southern
Weeks has the raw tools for shortstop, but his lack of soft hands and inexperience have led to a pair of less-than-rousing experiments at the position his first two years in college. He has played more outfield than anything else as a collegian and may yet be an outfielder in the pro ranks. But he made significant strides when pressed into second-base duty last summer for Team USA. One scout compares Weeks defensively to big leaguers Ray Durham and Eric Young?less than pretty, but adequate.

If Weeks can develop into even an average defender, he?ll be a true five-tool player, even more shocking considering he wasn?t drafted out of high school and was offered scholarships by only George Washington and Southern. His bat clearly stands out. His quick hands and wrists rocket the bat head through the strike zone and produce plus power. He has good balance and plate coverage, runs well and has a strong enough arm to overcome most fumbles in the field.

"Playing the infield is about repetition, if you?re a good enough athlete to begin with," another scouting director said. "He?s a good enough athlete. If he doesn?t get it, you can put him in center field and he?ll be good enough there to still be considered a five-tool guy."

Weeks is simply the best player in the country til someone shows me otherwise. Awesome numbers and awesome skills as a hitter.

someone made agreat point and said Weeks is a great player in a bad baseball conference.

glad we're picked last at PV. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
someone made agreat point and said Weeks is a great player in a bad baseball conference.

Thats not a great point blu ....thats asinine :slap: :slap:

Weeks skill level and abilities has nothing to do with the league he plays in. Granted our pitching may be weak overall, but that dude can mash. What I like is that he doesn't disappear in big game against other major opponents. Against ULL and LSU his numbers were legit. The difference being that they pitch around him when he's at the plate.

Remember blu these are the same people that said Jerry Rice was to slow etc. Steve McNair wasn't playing any comp. or wasn't SEC. caliber Doug wasn't smart enough to beat John Elway :retard: :retard: :retard:
Dude stop the hate come on this ain't the smack board

coming from baseball folks, Weeks is not that hot with the wood bat and he needs more speed. He only had 12 stolen bases.

If I was hating I would say he is arrogant and won't do well but I did not say that.

coming from baseball folks, Weeks is not that hot with the wood bat and he needs more speed. He only had 12 stolen bases.

If I was hating I would say he is arrogant and won't do well but I did not say that.
So I guess your "BASEBALL FOLKS"know more then every sports writer and pro scout in the country... :smh: :smh:
Sounds more like wannabees know it all's ..oh and bty Im a baseball folk

Back