It Is Time For All NBA D-Leaguers To Be Paid A Living Wage

Discussion in 'The Sports Board' started by Kendrick, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Kendrick

Kendrick The conscious Hulk Hogan Staff Member

Each D-League team has a salary cap of $209,000, with a roster limit of 12. D-Leaguers sign one-year contracts with the league, and receive one of two salaries: $26,000 or $19,500. Each team may only have up to five players with the $26,000 “A-level” contracts, meaning the majority of players make $19,500. That’s actually an improvement, as until this season, the majority of players made just $13,000. The federal poverty level for single person households is $12,050.

The NBA, obviously, has the money to pay all D-Leaguers living wages, but despite skyrocketing revenue in recent years, seems unwilling to do so. There were hopes that the recently agreed upon Collective Bargaining Agreement extension would address D-League salaries, but the only provision that does so is the introduction of “two-way” contracts that would pay two players per team between $50,000 and $75,000, and may not actually be all that good for them.

http://deadspin.com/it-is-time-for-...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. In_The_662

In_The_662 Deeeeep In The Delta.....

I saw the $75K salary mentioned on ESPN but now that it has been put in context, it doesn't help anyone but the two designated players. The MLS's starting salary is $50K so there's no reason the NBA shouldn't start there with D-League .... my bad G-League players.

Side note: Southaven is getting a G-League team. Would be nice to see some SWAC players on the roster of that team next year

3. jsupop33

jsupop33 Loyalty & Respect

G-league? At that level, its time to move on lol... I still got old teammates playing in Indoor Leagues in their 30's though. I couldn't do it but I guess if that is what you enjoy then you should go for it.

4. the band fan

the band fan Baseball Fan

they chose to play basketball, basketball did not choose them. NBA ain't dumb as you'll have career d-leaguers

5. Kendrick

Kendrick The conscious Hulk Hogan Staff Member

There are career minor league baseball players.