Is There a ‘Right Time’ for Booking a Hotel Room to Get the Best Rate? (Short Answer: Yes)

Olde Hornet

This is a good article for those that travel.

Is There a ‘Right Time’ for Booking a Hotel Room to Get the Best Rate? (Short Answer: Yes)​

Brendan Abraham, general manager at the Bellyard Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, says, “Be sure to book in advance for the best rates. In most instances, hotels will increase their rates as they approach the two-week arrival.”

It makes sense to book postpaid rates in advance to secure the space, and if rates go down, reservations can be canceled and rebooked without penalty. During high-demand periods, booking far in advance can ensure space is available at any rate if the hotel is likely to sell out quickly.

Rebook When Rates Fall

Daniel Borkowski, the area director of revenue management for InterContinental New York Barclay, recommends booking far in advance but continuing to monitor for sales. “The best time to book would be about six months out.  As hotels price, they are likely to identify and anticipate slower dates further out and price them at a discount.” Guests who have booked flexible rates will be able to cancel and rebook at the lower rate, but guests who are already locked into non-refundable rates won’t have the ability to make changes.

Be sure to pay attention to rate rules when booking. When not booking directly with the hotel, nonrefundable prepaid rates are even more rigid because they typically involve hotel inventory sold to a third party at a steep discount, with significant restrictions on the cancellation or change to a reservation.

The best advice here is not to book a prepaid or nonrefundable rate unless you’re absolutely certain that both the property and the rate are the best options, and that won’t change before arrival.

This is a good article for those that travel.

Is There a ‘Right Time’ for Booking a Hotel Room to Get the Best Rate? (Short Answer: Yes)​

Brendan Abraham, general manager at the Bellyard Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, says, “Be sure to book in advance for the best rates. In most instances, hotels will increase their rates as they approach the two-week arrival.”

It makes sense to book postpaid rates in advance to secure the space, and if rates go down, reservations can be canceled and rebooked without penalty. During high-demand periods, booking far in advance can ensure space is available at any rate if the hotel is likely to sell out quickly.

Rebook When Rates Fall

Daniel Borkowski, the area director of revenue management for InterContinental New York Barclay, recommends booking far in advance but continuing to monitor for sales. “The best time to book would be about six months out.  As hotels price, they are likely to identify and anticipate slower dates further out and price them at a discount.” Guests who have booked flexible rates will be able to cancel and rebook at the lower rate, but guests who are already locked into non-refundable rates won’t have the ability to make changes.

Be sure to pay attention to rate rules when booking. When not booking directly with the hotel, nonrefundable prepaid rates are even more rigid because they typically involve hotel inventory sold to a third party at a steep discount, with significant restrictions on the cancellation or change to a reservation.

The best advice here is not to book a prepaid or nonrefundable rate unless you’re absolutely certain that both the property and the rate are the best options, and that won’t change before arrival.
I'm flying to Sacramento tomorrow. I booked my flight, but haven't reserved my room or car. I will do that this evening. Hopefully I can get cheap rates.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back