Is Jefferson St. Joe in Pro Football Hall of Fame? Should he be in? And Why?

TheOneAndOnlyFB

I got a question Is Joe Gilliam or Gillam (sp) in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? If not, Should he be in or should he not be in? Please give a reason for it....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
- He's not in the HOF, he really didn't get a fair chance to play. Although he won several games and beat Terry Bradshaw out that one year, the city of Pittsburg and some of his teammates wasn't ready, nor did they really want a Black QB. Should he be in the HOF, I'm from TnSTU, and would be a little prejuice(sp), we just don't know what kind of numbers Joe could have put up if played any length of time.

Joe Gilliam was one of the most talented to ever play qb in the NFL. It's unfortunate that prejudice and later his drug addiction cost him his career. Even Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw admitted on National TV (Fox Pre-game show) that he thought Gilliam was better (I commend Bradshaw for that).

Unfortunately, I don't think Joe will or should be in the Hall of Fame. Although a lot of what happened was not his fault, he did not stay around long enuff to put up numbers. He only had about 10 starts total in the league and that just doesn't get it, despite my personal admiration for his talent!

HOF? Hell naw....

What did Joe do in the NFL to deserve to make the HOF? His career wasn't that long.......

And yes I know the man sufered from a great amount of racism and the fans treated him like crap because they didn't want to see a black QB......but Pittsburgh is not the reason Joe didn't get to have a longer career and put up more numbers. He was the starter until he self destructed! And that can't be blamed on anyone else but Joe.

In my opinion his transgressions set black QB's back even further, and made the road to the NFL, especially for HBCU QB's, that much harder!

HOF

Only two African-American are worthy of the Hall and that is Doug Williams and Warren Moon.........................

This may be off the subject...but I just bought his daughter's CD...JOI. She has a song dedicated to him. It's pretty nice. Just wanted to add that.

NN

Joi that married Gipp of Goodie Mobb and who replaced ol girl in Lucy Pearl??? I didn't know that was his daughter! Must check her out.

What were his college numbers like? Perhaps he may be eligible for CFHOF one day, but NFL? No way, no how...Perhaps one day there will be a section honoring the AA QB and he may be in that. That's the only way he'll touch Canton.

Gilliam didn't play long enough, so he won't be considered.

Unfortunately, I don't think Doug will be seriously, if at all, considered either. And that's a shame. In his first five years, Doug was solidly the reason why Tampa Bay made the playoffs the years that it did. However, he didn't get as much credit as he deserved during that time. I still remember the criticism by some that he "threw the ball to hard". And to me, it's crazy to say a QB has too much arm-strength in that leaque; especially when Elway was doing the same thing and being praised for it.

Doug's WFL days will hurt him also. Plus, the year he won the superbowl, Jay Shroider (or however he spelled it) started for a good portion of that season. Joe Gibbs got most of the credit for winning the superbowl, anyway, although he never played a down.

Regards.

Back