Is It Just My Imagination

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Is it just my imagination running away with me or has the world, indeed, gotten meaner? Over the past few weeks I've witnessed two situations involving the elderly and disabled that has me pondering if it has.

One involved a situation where a person that has just recently recovered from a life threatening occurrence, life threatening surgery and has a very a close family member with a very progressive degenerative illness exhibited little to no compassion to speak of when given an opportunity to help others similarly situated.

The other situation happened days ago while I was in the grocery store. A middle age man was rolling himself around by wheel-chair, through the aisles of the store. He was repetitively pushing a grocery basket a few feet in front of him, rolling his way up to it and repeating the same sequence to move along. I first noticed him as he was making his way from the back of the store towards the front. I couldn't help but notice that no one was offering to help him, not even one of three employees of the store who were engaged in a conversation while he passed them by. My heart sunk, I thought to myself how could they see him pushing that basket ahead of him a few feet, roll himself up to it and repeat the same and not help him? Where is their compassion, where is their heart?

I made my way up to the brother to help him and I asked was he headed to check out? He said he was, I told him I'll help and pulled the cart to the check-out line for him and placed the items he had on the conveyor belt at the register. He said thanks, I said you're welcome, God bless and moved along. That brother had one leg, and his other was not in good shape.

Those aforementioned occurrences have been on my mind lately, and have me questioning the decency of humanity while wondering has the world simply gotten meaner?

Have a good number of people collectively, and errantly moved away from considering how God feels about what they think and do?

In times like these, it appears the world is in need of much prayer.

2 Chronicles 7:14​

King James Version​

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, @LAW DAWG , no, it is not your imagination. The world is definitely meaner. In the stores; in traffic; at work; in families; you name it, folks are just meaner. No compassion; no love for our fellow man/woman.

Is it just my imagination running away with me or has the world, indeed, gotten meaner? Over the past few weeks I've witnessed two situations involving the elderly and disabled that has me pondering if it has.

One involved a situation where a person that has just recently recovered from a life threatening occurrence, life threatening surgery and has a very a close family member with a very progressive degenerative illness exhibited little to no compassion to speak of when given an opportunity to help others similarly situated.

The other situation happened days ago while I was in the grocery store. A middle age man was rolling himself around by wheel-chair, through the aisles of the store. He was repetitively pushing a grocery basket a few feet in front of him, rolling his way up to it and repeating the same sequence to move along. I first noticed him as he was making his way from the back of the store towards the front. I couldn't help but notice that no one was offering to help him, not even one of three employees of the store who were engaged in a conversation while he passed them by. My heart sunk, I thought to myself how could they see him pushing that basket ahead of him a few feet, roll himself up to it and repeat the same and not help him? Where is their compassion, where is their heart?

I made my way up to the brother to help him and I asked was he headed to check out? He said he was, I told him I'll help and pulled the cart to the check-out line for him and placed the items he had on the conveyor belt at the register. He said thanks, I said you're welcome, God bless and moved along. That brother had one leg, and his other was not in good shape.

Those aforementioned occurrences have been on my mind lately, and have me questioning the decency of humanity while wondering has the world simply gotten meaner?

Have a good number of people collectively, and errantly moved away from considering how God feels about what they think and do?

King James Version​

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
For the situation you mentioned, I believe another scripture can also apply:

Matthew 25:34-46 KJV

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

It's not just about meanness or malice, some people no longer have or care to show that Spirit of Love, Kindness, or even compassion as you stated.
In your two situations, I don't necessarily believe we're becoming more evil. Instead we are becoming and have been for some time, is oblivious to the needs of others. Ten there's the attitude of, 'it's not my problem" or someone else will help them. It may sound like I'm excusing people, and I'm not. I know there are people who just don't care about others and for them, a time may come when they regret their ways, but for the rest of us, I would say; continue being kind and compassionate towards others, we never know how we may have brightened their day or even their life.

My short answer, there is indeed still good in the world and good peeps.

Well, one thing that I've noted in these recent times is the media. They definitely take pride in negativity. I guess many that control media outlets feel like this is what bring in viewers and ratings. I can pull up a homepage that automatically comes up when I am browsing the net and it does seem like that focus on all the bad that is going on. I want to be informed, not depressed.

At least at one time there seemed to be a balance of sort. In addition, the powers that be who control the most powerful media outlets will use slick propaganda to have viewers feel some type of way. No doubt such negativity weighs heavily on my spirit.

So how have I tried to adjust? I guard my spirit.

I am just selective with what my eyes see, and ears hear. I make sure I try to check out peeps who speak truth to power. I don't agree with everyone but still it is good to a proper perspective of all presented views of current world affairs. Then when I'm posting or sharing, no matter how frustrated with life I get, I try to keep it positive. It's not easy but I do what I have to do to guard my spirt if that make sense.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhEP3Qy6T6o

Last edited:

King James Version​

People are more uptight. Politics, finances, social media has caused these problems

My short answer, there is indeed still good in the world and good peeps.

Well, one thing that I've noted in these recent times is the media. They definitely take pride in negativity. I guess many that control media outlets feel like this is what bring in viewers and ratings. I can pull up a homepage that automatically comes up when I am browsing the net and it does seem like that focus on all the bad that is going on. I want to be informed, not depressed.

At least at one time there seemed to be a balance of sort. In addition, the powers that be who control the most powerful media outlets will use slick propaganda to have viewers feel some type of way. No doubt such negativity weighs heavily on my spirit.

So how have I tried to adjust? I guard my spirit.

I am just selective with what my eyes see, and ears hear. I make sure I try to check out peeps who speak truth to power. I don't agree with everyone but still it is good to a proper perspective of all presented views of current world affairs. Then when I'm posting or sharing, no matter how frustrated with life I get, I try to keep it positive. It's not easy but I do what I have to do to guard my spirt if that make sense.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhEP3Qy6T6o
Guarding one's spirit, to the extent we're capable, makes plenty of sense to me.

1 Corinthians 15:33
King James Version​

33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Back