is it hard to attract white athletes to your school?

Blu Panther

The name says it all
I had a conversation with a fellow 1-AA alumnus yesterday and he was bragging about his new transfers. Then I mentioned the that predominately white 1-AA schools will have the upper hand because you all can recruit some of the better white kids easily and you sometimes have an easier time recruiting black kids than their own schools. What I hate is that when the white QBs transfer, they usually bring a talented receiver or skill player with them.

Looking at schools like Montana, I don't know how a brotha goes up there. But they think those schools are way better than a HBCU even if their going to be a PE major.

If the world was even I would be out recruiting those 6-6, 340 white kids to play on the offensive line and other positions. But since we have a "black stigma" attatched to us it is hard to get decent white athletes as well as good black athletes.

Some schools get a few white kids but I've never seen any that have much of an impact besides kicker.

Another issue: Brothas will rather go to a 1-AA that average 7,000 fans instead of 25K. I told someone that I can put you in front of 30K right away if you went to TSU or PV. You will not see that many in a year at your 1-AA school.

The problem is that these kids get fooled into coming to those 1-AA programs like you mentioned instead of an HBCU. Sometimes a kid will follow a coach to whatever 1AA program he goes to from 1A. At SU we were able to get CB Terence Arnold #28 to follow DB coach Henry Miller from Utah State to SU. I am sure if Miller had took a job at NW La. State, Arnold would have went there. Now to recruiting white players to an HBCU, well you know much flak is given by alumni, fans and even people on this board when we HBCUs play a white guy instead of a black player. Unless he kicks the ball, most of us think we should not ever have a white player.

SU has been able to get some good ones. Steve Wofford got fellow Bakerfield, Calif. buddy Brett Clark to come to SU with him. That white guy was a hell of a center and made all SWAC. Other than that we have been able to get kickers to come like Bushart and presently we have Mattingly. Then you have the Jacoby deal where it did kind of hurt us from getting another white kid to come to SU. His chronicled bad experience at SU did us no favors. So some white kids will remember that and I am sure their coaches are like no way you want to go to SU. Look what happened to Jacoby. So the backlash goes both ways if you try to recruit a good white player. So most schools just choose not to recruit white players. Especially in an impact position besides kicker. Good topic for discussion.

at AAMU we have white people in every sport except probably soccer and mens basketball. Coach Cooper had a LOT of white people on the foottball team, the baseball team is damn near half and half, the softball team has a white head coach and assistant coach,the womens bball team had 2 white sisters this year, I am sure the golf team has white people. There are actually a lot of white people that go to school at AAMU. People talk about Tenn State not being a HBCU, but AAMU has more white folks than TSU. At TSU, I can say I had one class with a white person. Most of them are in the nursing program and locked in one building or either they take classes at the downtown campus. The main difference is that at TSU, white people actually stay on campus and at AAMU they are commuters.

I don't know how many white athletes they have, but Howard has quite a few white students. Most of them are in the school of Dentistry or Law. I did see a few white players on the football team. ASU has a few white athletes, I saw some on the football team and the baseball team.

If a highly recruited white kid here in Arkansas decides to go to UAPB, man the Razorback faithful will blackmail that kid and his family. He could'nt get a job no where in the state. UAPB has some white athletes on the football team but they are from outside the state. Recruiting has a lot to do with image. The more a school is on the tube, there is a better chance that school will attract quality players.

Hey JSU fans,is it true that Eli Manning want to play ball at JSU?

Originally posted by pbla
Hey JSU fans,is it true that Eli Manning want to play ball at JSU?

I believe that he wanted to stay close to home and wanted to attend SU, but they had some guys by the name of Levy and Reeshard. :confused:

eli.jpg

Hometown:
New Orleans, La.

High School:
Isadore Newman

when LC came to A-State he had a few 6-7 white linemen. I don't know how he pulled it off.

When Greg Johnson came to PV he brought a few white guys with him. However, only the JUCO linemen stayed and the rest lowered our grad. rates since they only survived after 2 years.

It seems we hae no prblems getting white athletes for softball or baseball. But when it comes to hoops or football, it increasingly gets harder.

what u must do is some how get some white GIRLS :confused: to come to your school like ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

don't they all play tennis? The tennis coach is white and he told me he looks on the internet at a site that hosts international students. (they seem to know how to play tennis :rolleyes:)

tbf, unless folks actually get involved in the financial aspect of athletics, they would never understand the big picture. A lot of schools will take non qualifiers and pay their way to school and many other legal benefits. If we don't start putting money in the areas that will allow us to bring in non-qualifiers then we get what we get.

Just think of the 1 million that Dug just received. He should be in good shape for as long as he wants to coach at GSU. He identified the areas where he is going to spend the money.

A few years ago, UAPB had a with quarterback (Barry Switzer's son) to transfer to UAPB from some white college. A lot of it has to do with several factors. The biggest factor may be the environment. Being a black kid at a PWC is far more different than being a white kid at a HBCU.

Environment - blacks can adapt to a white college more so than white adapting to a black college (Ex Idaho, Montana, etc).

I think the bigger question is, why can't we get our schools and alumni to support our program in order to get better talent. Meaning, many of us will attend games, but hardly any of us belong to a schools sports foundation that will aid the school in funding projects such as a new field house or money to supplement a coaches salary.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I think the bigger question is, why can't we get our schools and alumni to support our program in order to get better talent. Meaning, many of us will attend games, but hardly any of us belong to a schools sports foundation that will aid the school in funding projects such as a new field house or money to supplement a coaches salary.

At HBCUs, athletics is not the priority. Academics/Education are the issuses facing most Presidents. Although athletics programs are very expensive, overall HBCUs do a very good job of stretching the dollar. Alumni at most HBCUs are given back more than some of us realize, but our checks cannot support every call. I cannot give to every request from the community, church and college but I try to do the best I can. In general, blacks make about $15,000 to 20,000 less than the average white doing the exact same job. Athletics is just the tip of the iceberg, but I do understand your question.

I agree, I too try to stretch my dollars between church, community, and my school. However, there is something that they (white folks) are doing that we are not.

When Nolan Richardson got fired, the Razorback foundation came up with the money to buy out his contract, not the school. University of Arkansas has less number of students than Southern. (Just using SU as an example).

Alumni at UAPB would rather stand in line every game to buy a ticket (and miss most of the first half) rather than buy season tickets. I'm sure that is the case at most universities. Why can't we just support!!!

DaSperm, I am not making excuses for what is not being done, but I can tell you that if we can educate our alums on establishing independent associations things would be a lot easier. For some reason our alums do not understand that we actually excluded when we think we are included.

Back