Is Arena Football now a legit "pro sport"?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
I see where Arena Football is expanding to N.O. and Denver and NBC has picked them up for prime time games starting in febuary. They have also approved either new are acquisition ownership by 9 NFL owners.

It looks like to me the Arena League is on the brink of becoming a permanent fixture in the American sports genra. What do you think? :wavey:

I'd have to say that Arena Football is now a legitimate sport. This is in part due to the league's effort to expand to across the nation and their efforts to gain national exposure due to TV deals with ESPN, TNN and now NBC. In addition, the success of guys such as Kurt Warner and others in the NFL, has also brought attention to the league and served notice that Arena Football can be sort of a training ground for aspiring NFL hopefuls. It's another avenue for players that don't quite make it in the NFL or NFL Europe, to work on thier skills and hopefully get looked at by the big boys. I'm all for it. Besides, its great for football fans that crave football in late Spring and early Summer!:cool:

Roger that nupe_6

The Arena Football League has quietly built over 10+ years. They didn't get too big for their britches too quickly. They built a fan base. They methodically put together the TV packages that you mention. The value of their teams as an investment from when the league started to now have doubled, tripled, quardrupled and more. Just a classic, classic, textbook business startup is all I can say,, and looks like they will continue to grow to 32 teams for the next 10-20 years. :tup:

I really like Area Football and I think it is rapidly becoming a major sport. They were smart (unlike other leagues) and didn't break the bank trying to outbid the NFL for stars but instead make it fun, legitament football (unlike the XFL who made a mockery of the game, but I did like that sprint to the 50 instead of the coin flip) and affordable. People watch it for the game, not for a few stars. I watch it every chance I get.

Back