Interested in TSA PreCheck? It might soon be cheaper and easier to sign up

Olde Hornet

Enrollment in the expedited screening program, which is $85 for five years and allows vetted travelers to keep on their shoes, coats and belts and leave laptops and eligible liquids in their bags, has fallen far short of projections of 5 million new enrollments a year.

Enrollment began in 2013 and peaked at 2.2 million new enrollees in 2016. The total fell to 1.64 million enrollees in 2017 and last year totaled 1.8 million, according to TSA figures. There are currently 8.54 million PreCheck members, compared with previous projections as high as 25 million.

Renewal rates aren't where TSA officials would like to see them either, at 68%.

The TSA and travel industry officials want more people in PreCheck because they are lower-risk travelers and the screening process is streamlined and generally quicker. During a record travel day on the Friday before Memorial Day, 91.5% of PreCheck members waited less than five minutes in a checkpoint line, the TSA says.

"The more people who are in that environment,'' Cogswell said, "(is) the best place that we could be.''

Finally broke down and did this. Enrolled online, got a appointment to go in and let them check my papers and take my picture this past friday. I received a email yesterday letting me know I'm good and got my number to put in my airline accounts.

No more getting undress when I travel and getting in that long line. I figured if I fly 3-4 times a year in a 5 year span, it only cost me a extra 4-5 dollars.

Back