'In The Moment, You Just Fly': Jon Batiste Lets Loose At The Piano

Olde Hornet

'In The Moment, You Just Fly': Jon Batiste Lets Loose At The Piano

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/26/6517...-just-fly-jon-batiste-lets-loose-at-the-piano

Interview Highlights
On the rhythm that's at the heart of his music

There's an African rhythm that is at the base of much of New Orleans music and that's the bamboula rhythm and before I even understood that I was even being taught this rhythm or that I was internalizing this rhythm rather, I was. ... It's in so much of our repertoire, and me being the youngest drummer in my family at the time — there were four other drummers, my cousins, who were incredible, and still are, incredible musicians who have inspired me — and not only was I learning the bamboula, but I was learning it from them. So I had four variations of it. So by the time I started really playing and getting into the piano, I had such a rhythmic approach to it that it's still with me today.

On branching out beyond the New Orleans sound he grew up with

I wanted to find something that I hadn't quite identified yet, and I was listening to a lot of albums that were made in New York. ... I would go and pick up bags and bags of CDs and I would listen to those and nerd out on who was playing on what and start to make connections and that led me to really want to go to New York to meet and collaborate with a lot of people that I had seen in the liner notes on records that I liked.

Back