If you had to pick a surprise team in the SWAC this year, who???

Since most of you prognosticators are picking GSU to be depleted, I would have to say that Grambling will be the surprise team. Despite the loss of 9 starters from last year's offense, our team is deep and talented. The offensive line will be the strength of our offense as they will be opening gaping holes in undermanned defenses to allow our runners to perform.

Brad Hill was a talented and experienced runner, but we return last year's fullback Jadaw Lawrence (a more physical runner than Hill), impressive Karrell Charles (who had a good spring game), and Lindsay Sanders of Baker High (a speed merchant with good toughness). We also signed some very talented runners from Birmingham plus All-State Taycho Cleveland of State Champion Farmerville High. A talented youngster, who might have to take a redshirt this season due to the ability of Lawrence, Charles, and Sanders.

We are not concerned about our receiving corp. These guys are ready to make the passing game go. Tramon Douglas will surprise and impress you with sheer strength and talent. This kid was highly recruited out of Glen Oaks High school. As a matter of fact, he was the focus of LSU's interest moreso than Marcus Randall (an excellent athlete and no knock on Marcus). He will be joined by veterans DJ Clay, Thyron Anderson and talented newcomers (redshirts) Latroy Calhoun, Delvin Lewis, and Jason Hatcher. These kids are ready for bust out years. Our triggerman is ready! Bruce "Passo" Eugene is one of the most gifted passers that the SWAC will see in quite some time. This young man is still learning (from one of the best to ever play) and will only get better as the wins continue to mount. Look for him to have a huge percentage completion rate with very few interceptions.

GSU has the ability to go undefeated!

MH,

SU Jag 79 summed it up. I think ASU will compete to another "6-5" season but they won't be great. LC is not a loser. He might be a cheater but he is no loser so you all won't be rock bottom with him. However, losing Kennedy is not good. "L" you went 6-5 with Kennedy!!!! Then you hired a defensive coach from AAMU..a school that gives scholarships...knowing that your team just scored 30 on them and that he has never stopped or beat the Big Three. Other than Gramling, you all are probably the next MOST depleted.

Mike,

I like your confidence but GSU is going to suffer from inexperience. Off sides and other penalties are going to kill you. I have no doubt that Gram has talent but without experience you all looking to give up more points than you want to. Your offense has never been good anyway. It has rode the defense. Remember SCG 2. I get sleepy thinking about that 2000 GSU offense. I am not expecting anything more than 7 wins out of Grambling and you won't be in Bham unless you can beat Jackson State, AlaState, Alcorn and Southern.

SU Jag 79 summed it up. I think ASU will compete to another "6-5" season b

Don't judge a book by it's cover. What would you expect from Kennedy in 2000 going 6-5. He had to learn a whole different offense and was hurt before that season. He came back from a broken ankle injury and turned a 2-9 team into winners. We play 12 games this year(13 if you count the SCG). Our record this year will probably be 9-3. We may have lost a good offense but we still return a solid team.

Let me explain what I thought about ASU .... I said you would be a disappointment because (a) you lost Kennedy. Even though I didn't like the kid, he was a great player for you. I don't think you can replace him to be honest. (lack of changes would apply here). (b) the emergence of Alcorn State. They beat you last season and nothing coming from the Hornet camp makes me believe that they should have a problem with you this season. The East would have been down to your matchup with J-State if not for this. (THEY HAD the "changes" here.) (c) Your defense. We all know LC as an offensive threat, but he defenses have been ... well .... less than desirable. From what I have heard so far, you returned players, but otherwise Nothing has changed

You brought up some interesting points but let reply to all of those (a) There are 11 people on the field Kennedy didnt do it by himself(b) Anybody can have a lucky season now we will see if last season for Alcorn was a fluke or hard work, if you think Bama State will let Alcorn beat them again, you got anotha thing coming, that was the first game of the season for Bama State and Alcorn had already had the edge since we had 4 offensive starters out and played Grambling the weak before.(c) Our defense only lost 2 players (a LB and a DE). We already know that know one could control Earl Cochran last year and this year the defense will dominant!

Offensively, our weakness will be receivers for a few games. We return 85% of our offense so we're set. Defensively, someone will have to replace Bobby Perry but I feel that can happen with time.

Like TSU, our special teams have a lot to be desired. We lost a freshman prospect to Valley. We need full rides.

Originally posted by SU Jag 79
Okay Mighty One,

Let me explain what I thought about ASU .... I said you would be a disappointment because (a) you lost Kennedy. Even though I didn't like the kid, he was a great player for you. I don't think you can replace him to be honest. (lack of changes would apply here).
Well, I won't discount the loss of Kennedy cause the brotha was a great QB. Of course, he'll be missed. But life goes on and if you think ASU is standing pat you're wrong. ASU signed a QB who was a Parade All-American coming out of hs, rated the #3 QB in the country. For whatever reason, he initially chose to attend other schools coming out of school. But, he's headed to ASU now. I'm quite confident that he'll flourish in that offense, if he wins the job. If not, I'm sure LC and Johnny will have a QB in place to carry this team for the season. They always do. Look at the numbers that Murray put up at Tenn. State while they were there and the numbers that Kennedy put up at ASU since they've been here.
(b) the emergence of Alcorn State. They beat you last season and nothing coming from the Hornet camp makes me believe that they should have a problem with you this season.
Since people keep bringing it up, yes, Alcorn won against us last year. First game of the season, without our regular QB, running a very limited offense (we threw the least amount of passes all year that game, only 1 pass down field, QBs were simply not ready). Won't be the case this year. We don't play them until Sep. 28., game 5.

The East would have been down to your matchup with J-State if not for this. (THEY HAD the "changes" here.)
Who had changes? jsu? If so, what changes??
(c) Your defense. We all know LC as an offensive threat, but he defenses have been ... well .... less than desirable. From what I have heard so far, you returned players, but otherwise Nothing has changed.
Well, we have a new DC. That's a change. The unit he coached has led the country in sacks, rushing defense, and fewest yards per carry. (jsue folks, you can explain it all you want. Just like how you can justify all you want about your new DC.) Also, keep your eye out for a few transfers on the defensive side of the ball. :snicker:
Imagine the usual COLE<font color=red>BLOODED</FONT> offense teamed up with a strong defense. :eek::eek::eek:

Seems that your are forgetting the intangibles. First and foremost, COACHING. That counts for a whole lot. LC is a good coach. In the last 2 years, he has led ASU to a win over EVERY school in the conference. There's a good deal of confidence in him to put together a winning team (even TP, with all his "logic" knows that) I doubt anybody from Alcorn would say that Dr. Johnny is a good coach and I know nobody from jsue would say that JW is a good coach. They go to games hoping their coach don't screw up too bad. I go to games expecting my coach to do something to win. Big difference!

2) The schedule. It clearly works in ASU's favor. First two games of the season are nonconference games. Work out the "newness". LOL Next two games are conference games, both at home. In fact, 9 of ASU's 13 games (SCG included) are in Alabama. Let go of the pride, take a look at our conference schedule and you'll see. I've read a lot on this board that the cap city classic will determine the East champ. HA!HA! If anything, it will serve to knock out Alcorn again, jsue will long be finished by then. Alcorn can not beat jsue.

3) Special teams. Simply put, ours are better than most. Our punter is better than all. Our FG kicker is good. Our return teams are always good!!! (jsue, it was a combination of our good returners and your lousy coverage teams--lol)

This thread is the eptiome of blind myopic fans.

GSU (Mike)....I know you dont want to admit it, but saying that GRambling could possibly go undefeated is the appex of of bind support. You conveniently missed your Spring Game where your own coach and paper told how terrible Grambling looked. Come on man....cant you have a real conversation about Grambling football. It doesnt hurt to tell the truth...really it doesnt.

Sting.....I cant even believe Im responding to you but..... Please bring those losers back you had on defense last year. Please do. Memo to Bama fans....you will not have a good season. Your saving grace is will be playing Miles, Savannah, and whatever else loser school you have scheduled.

Why even open threads like this on the Sports Board? Its not like you are going to an honest answer from anybody about their school. All topics like this should be posted on the Smack board.....youre only gong to get smack anyway.

MH,

We all know how that DC got all of those sacks, etc. He put 11 men in the box. LOL TC and Story were converted to WR. Manning and Jones are real WR's. Your DB's ain't been burned yet. Didn't AlaState lose 3 of 4 defensive linemen? Not that it really matters but AlaState will not have a clue on defense as usual. You hired a known failure to run the defense and he has no excuse except for the fact that he was coaching for the lowly AAMU.

You are right, Alcorn cannot beat JSU but they can beat AlaState in game five. LC is almost starting over. Remember your last trip to the reservation? Well, Dr. Thomas is well ahead of where he was then. Also, his coaching staff has improved.

BTW, I knew you believed in the week later theory all along. I ain't crazy. Working out the "newness". LOL

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Remember your last trip to the reservation?
Yes, we won!

BTW, I knew you believed in the week later theory all along. I ain't crazy. Working out the "newness".
First game of the season is new. (Until you found out we were not playing Alcorn until week 5, you were on that kick about they would win because of the early date, once the schedule came out, well....:lol: )

Your week later theory was invented after ASU stomped jsue in Week 5. Actually, that week later theory is dumb any time of the year. :goof:

btw, I knew you would explain about our new DC. Now, go ahead and justify yours. I'll give you a head start..........no scholarships :lol::lol:

...so my SURPRISE team would be AAMU.

They have an unproven coach in the 1AA ranks but the AAMU posters swear they have talent. If Jones' philosophy carries over into wins, AAMU will be the surprise team. I already have them beating AlaState this year but not Alcorn and J-State. If they do that, that will be the surprise.

Actually, I can agree with most of what you say there. Jones is unproven, and yes...we DO have talent!
2 of the 3 Mississippi WILL be beaten this year! :D
I'm not sure which 2, but 2 indeed.
I'm not gonna say that we are gonna win the SWAC or anything this year...but we will win a helluva lot more games than most of y'all think we will.

2002's dark horse is AAMU!!!! :cool:

Intangibles............

That seems to be everybodys answer these days. Its seems like all of you guys feel like something inside so strong is going to help you win this year. Nevermind the fact that you have no talent.

The best part about this whole thing is that MH actually thinks his team has a chance against anybody. Just be glad you have Miles and Savannah State on schedule.

Do you really believe you have a chance this year?

You speak about the coaching excellence of the Coles, why werent they able to coach your backup to a victory over Alcorn. Its not like Donald Carrie was on his 12th start. He was a Freshman too and didnt work out at QB the year before.

Truth be told, your defense stank worse than ours last year. And then you went out and hired the man that gave up over 30 points to ASU. I hope he has the same philosophy at ASU that he had at AAMU. Now that was the dumbest defense I think Ive ever seen.

And if you lost any linemen from that run defense, you are really in serious trouble.

Living in a glass house....

Truth be told, your defense stank worse than ours last year. And then you went out and hired the man that gave up over 30 points to ASU.
Numbers don't lie. People do! The numbers say that your defense was worse than ours. And then you went out and hired the man that gave up over 50 points to everybody!

But we bent jsue over. In Mississippi. On your homecoming. For 9 touchdowns. Our numbers counted that day.

And contrary to what JW led you all to believe, Tn. State's numbers counted against jsue too.
:bawling:

MH, your first string defense sucked last year. You lost almost your entire defensive front and they STILL schooled your offense in the spring. You return your secondary. The worst secondary in BCF and you want us to think you have a team? If your offense could not score on them, they won't score on anybody. All JSU needs to do is run the ball every play 'cause with your defensive line, you won't be able to do anything about it.

GR, how many TD's do you think Flenn is going to score on AlaState when we put him in during the 3rd quarter??

Originally posted by Ntelekt

Actually, I can agree with most of what you say there. Jones is unproven, and yes...we DO have talent!
2 of the 3 Mississippi WILL be beaten this year! :D
I'm not sure which 2, but 2 indeed.
I'm not gonna say that we are gonna win the SWAC or anything this year...but we will win a helluva lot more games than most of y'all think we will.

2002's dark horse is AAMU!!!! :cool:

Dude, just try to focus on AlaState, PV, Valley and UAPB. You won't beat JSU or Alcorn. Crawl before you try to walk. That was the mistake you all made the last time. YOu return about 17 starters. They are losers but you are still ahead of Grambling. Well actually, I am trying to figure out if a team is in a better position is they return un-talented experienced (AAMU) or talented waterboys from the previous season (Gram).

When you are a GMan you always realize the potential to be undefeated exist! It's not likely, but it is always a strong possibility. True, we lost some very talented players. They were proven winners (hell didn't they sign with GSU)! But we feel good about what we have returning and the folk that will be coaching them.

There isn't a team on our schedule that our defense can't hold in check. We only face two teams with experienced qb's and neither of them has ever won a game against GSU. As long as Kent plays for Jackson State we have to be considered favorites...any qb that throws 21 interceptions in a single season gets no respect from me!

..any team that gets 6 turnovers and still can't score gets no respect from me. Dude, your offense is going to start with a G.

MikeBigg

I am riding the balls on that note. You absolutely nailed it on the head. I wish FAMU was on that schedule as well. Cuz aside from Miami and Cookman their schedule is weak. No Gram, no SU.

MH, your first string defense sucked last year. You lost almost your entire defensiv

We only lost one DE(Robert Malone) and he's in the NFL with the Baltimore Ravens. We already got him replaced with Jamal Cooper(6'4, 295) probably.

Sting.....I cant even believe Im responding to you but..... Please bring those losers back you had on defense last year. Please do. Memo to Bama fans....you will not have a good season. Your saving grace is will be playing Miles, Savannah, and whatever else loser school you have scheduled.
-Our defense got the job done. They stood up when they had to. What happened when Story caught a pass and was stripped from behind. The last 2 plays of the games are also proof that we stand up when we need to.I like that Name you got(Get Ready) cause you gonna need to Get Ready when ASU put thta foot up that arse to make it a 3peat. You need to get ready for to be in second place again. You know your weak offensive line cant stop our defensive front, that's why Kent had to run and throw the ball just but every time. Kent cant throw it to nobody now. The original score of that game last year was supposed to be 61-51. Them refs know they gave y'all a TD on that kickoff return. Our defense will take Kent out.

..any team that gets 6 turnovers and still can't score gets no respect from me.

TALK ABOUT CAN'T SCORE. YOUR TEAM REALLY ONLY SCORED 7 POINTS THAT GAME. YOU MUST BE HIGH :lmao:

Back