If the preacher said it,

MsJag4Jag

does that settle it? Is the preacher always right? Do you agree with his every sermon? If so, why? If not, why not? How do you handle when your pastor states something you do NOT believe or agree with?

Heavens NO!!!!

No Ms. J4J, that doesn't settle it......Now, if GOD said it, well.....that settles it.

If the preacher states something that I'm not in agreeance with then I check it out in the word for myself. If scripture wasn't given to back it up, I just pray for revelation.

Read and understand for yourself...

The preacher is human...just like u.
No difference. Heed and Seek God's Word and Kingdom.
Not man.;)

a preacher is like your high school teacher, somtimes they know what they are saying and then they don't. it is like not trusting information until you investigate totally by reading the Bible. salvation comes from within with truth, understanding, and acknowledgement. if you don't read the Bible with understanding, you just might believe anything the preacher says.

In my christian walk, I have learned to follow the word with the Pastor. In other words, if Pastor says his text is coming from Thessalonians 3:1-5 I have my bible. If it's not in the bible, I don't believe it. Give me scripture reference. If God said it, I believe it. If I don't understand something in which he said, I take notes and ask someone later. Pastors are human and bound to make mistakes. No one is perfect, so their words are not the gospel. :)

Ok. With all that y'all said in mind,

How do you take when your pastor says something like, Christmas is Pagan. Henceforth, now, and forevermore there will be no more Pagan Christmas trees or decorations in this church anymore.

I have forgotten the scripture reference that refers to the Pagans. What do y'all think?

ON THAT SAME NOTE: Another Pastor, different church, USED to NOT allow Christmas Celebrations or Holiday Celebrations even THANKSGIVING was NOT allowed. Then years and years lady the pastor said they were living in BONDAGE. He explained that God did not want them to simply follow these rules mechanically and almost like in the military.

What do you think? Just asking.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't be a member of a Pastor who said something like that. Outside of when I was a child, I have allowed God to guide and direct me to the 2 churches in which I joined. In my search for a church home, I was making certain that the Pastor was in accordance to God's word. I don't know how I would have addressed the issue because my Pastor's wouldn't have said it. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, it goes back to my original saying, if God said, I believe it. Both of your example are in the bible. Paganism is not referenced to Christmas nor Thanksgiving.

Originally posted by Alexxus
Well, first of all, I wouldn't be a member of a Pastor who said something like that. Outside of when I was a child, I have allowed God to guide and direct me to the 2 churches in which I joined. In my search for a church home, I was making certain that the Pastor was in accordance to God's word. I don't know how I would have addressed the issue because my Pastor's wouldn't have said it. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, it goes back to my original saying, if God said, I believe it. Both of your example are in the bible. Paganism is not referenced to Christmas nor Thanksgiving.

Do you know the scriptures I am speaking of .. that speaks of decorations on a tree ... or describing what the "pagans" do with trees???

i would love to see ANY scriptural passage that speaks of Christmas trees ... since the "holiday" wasnt observed until after the last book of the Bible was written

folks do tend to take things too far....

hmm....

IceMan ... send help

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Originally posted by Alexxus

Do you know the scriptures I am speaking of .. that speaks of decorations on a tree ... or describing what the "pagans" do with trees???

There are two scripture references that I am aware of pertaining to what we call Christmas trees. They do not directly refer to decorating the trees.

Isaiah 41:19
I will plant trees ? cedar, acacia, myrtle, olive, cypress, fir, and pine ? on barren land

Isaiah 60:13
The glory of Lebanon will be yours ? the forests of cypress, fir, and pine ? to beautify my sanctuary. My Temple will be glorious!

As far as the pagans are concerned, the only thing that they did with trees are set up their shrines under the trees. It was ordered that their shrines, pillars, and altars be destroyed, but the pagans didn't do the destroying.

Thanks Lexx. I'll have to find it. I've read something about trees. It does not say "Christmas". It was describing what the "pagans" do to trees. Geesh, I can't remember. I'll try to find it this weekend and bring it out for discussion. Thanks again!

Originally posted by hassan
i would love to see ANY scriptural passage that speaks of Christmas trees ... since the "holiday" wasnt observed until after the last book of the Bible was written

folks do tend to take things too far....

hmm....

IceMan ... send help

Hassan, indirectly "Christmas" trees are listed in the Bible. Isn't "Fir Trees" and "Pine Trees" called Christmas trees??? Of course people gave those trees the name of Christmas trees. :)

If he is preaching God's words, then I don't have a problem. He is human, thus he is prone to making plenty of mistakes. If it's God's words....that is really what settles it!!!!

Back