I Need Some Help:

rev t

The Cream of the Crop
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STUDENT ARRANGERS WITHIN MANY OF THESE BAND PROGRAMS? I HAVE TRIED TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR THE LONGEST AS TO WHY THE PRIMARY ARREANGERS FOR MOST BAND ARE STUDENTS. DON'T GET ME WRONG SOME ARRANGEMENTS BY STUDENTS CAN BE NICE BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE WHO REALLY CAN'T PLAY A PIANO YET THEY TRY TO ARRANGE SONGS FOR BAND TO PLAY. AN OLD BAND DIRECTOR ONCE TOLD ME THAT YOU ARRANGE THE WAY YOU PLAY THE PIANO. I DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE THAT IS BUT I NEED SOME HELP UNDERSTANDING THIS ONE.

You don't have to play the piano well to do a good arrangement. It just might take a little longer than someone who is fluent at piano but I found that the more you arrange the better and faster you get. What really makes or breaks you is your back ground in theory and what kind of ear you have. If you don't have a good ear you might put in wrong chords or make something that just doesn't sound good. The theory part makes it easier too because you know what notes come in like a V chord or a I chord or a V7 chord.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Also to add to what he said,....

It is very important that you know the tonal ranges for each instruments you are writing for,..... "overtone series"
Too many times I come across music that is written too high for my particular instrument all because the writer did not understand that concept.

Originally posted by Legend35
Also to add to what he said,....

It is very important that you know the tonal ranges for each instruments you are writing for,..... "overtone series"
Too many times I come across music that is written too high for my particular instrument all because the writer did not understand that concept.
Also very true too!

i agree wit Prof K bout that theory background a good ear, those are the basics of arranging. personally, i think it's a good idea for student music majors to arrange, it's kinda like an internship in music, i think. it helps them with their training and perfects their skills, it's better for them to get out the kinks while they are still students than to get their own program and be a lost cause....

Well, on second thought, if we were, it would be easier to get our arrangements played. Ain't that right, 35?:cool:

I'm about to fall out AGAIN!!!!!!!;

Originally posted by GoodFella
ProfK and Legend you all should be over the staff at Grambling, thats all I got to say.....
Thank You. You really surprise me more and more!!!!!!
I can't believe............:confused:

Originally posted by Prof K
Well, on second thought, if we were, it would be easier to get our arrangements played. Ain't that right, 35?:cool:
Hold it down. I'm playing hookie!!!

Back