Howard has the best version of Neck by all HBCU bands

Y’all leave state alone ... they the size of Howard and sound wonderful. Have you jags no shame smh .... y’all need to give Taylor back to Alabama since that’s where he really from ... state will pay 300 k for him 😭😭😂😂

Ralph Chapman is from Alabama as well. SU has had quite of few kids from BAMA, especially along the Gulf Coast, all the way over to Pensacola, FL. I think Haymer is from Mississippi Gulf Coast with Louisiana roots. That's why Mobile is like a second home to SU.

Last edited:

Also, the Jukebox plays second line music as well, but arranged more for a marching band. The Jukebox has been doing that ever since Doc. Greggs got there in 1969. The Brass Band music (South Rampart Street Parade, Bourbon Street Parade, Way Down Yonder, Basin Street Blues, Closer Walk With Thee, etc.) they played back then was written for a marching band. Most of it was played along side the like of Pete Fountain during the first Super Bowl in New Orleans.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59TmlOludg

Howard is in DC, so Go-Go music should be their thing, whereas the Jukebox is the closes HBCU marching band to New Orleans, so Brass Band music and jazz is our thing. We even have a jazz version to our fight song. Brass Band music played by other schools that are not the Jukebox sounds out of place to me, such as FAMU trying to claim Do Whatcha Wanna as one of their signature songs.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4HHhHlXQkI

Man, that sounds really good!

Envious of what? lol
I work with a old school Juke who marched under Issac. Even he said SU's current band isnt the same as the old ones. If we wanted to sound like SU, we would simplify our arrangements lol!

Atl Hornet, you know as well as I do that Alabama State's band program holds SU's Band program in high esteem. There isn't a single band program in America that doesn't. We SU people are used to a little envy and jealousy when it comes to our band program. It has been going on for decades. As a Houston, Texas sophomore who marches with Langston University Lions said recently, "everyone is always talking about Southern University, I want people to start talking about Langston University." Look! We get it!

Last edited:
Atl Hornet, you know as well as I do that Alabama State's band program holds SU's Band program in high esteem. There isn't a single band program in America that doesn't. We SU people are used to a little envy and jealousy when it comes to our band program. It has been going on for decades. As a Houston, Texas sophmore who marches with Langston University Lions said recently, "everyone is always talking about Southern University, I want people to start talking about Langston University." Look! We get it!

giphy.gif

Back