How To Roast Any Vegetable

Olde Hornet

What Vegetables to Roast​

Root vegetables — like potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and carrots — are old standbys when it comes to roasting, of course, but take a look through your crisper drawer and you’ll find all sorts of roasting candidates — from crucifers like broccoli and Brussels sprouts to surprises like zucchini, onions, bell peppers, and cabbage. Even tomatoes can be roasted.

If you’re not sure if a particular vegetable can be roasted, my recommendation is to just give it a try. It might not end up being your favorite way to eat that vegetable, but it’s definitely worth the experiment to find out.

Don’t Skimp on the Oil​

Once you’ve cut your vegetables down into bite-sized pieces, toss them with some good-tasting oil. Use enough to give the vegetables a slick, glossy coating, but not so much that you have puddles in the bottom of your bowl — a tablespoon or two will usually get the job done. Not only does the oil help the vegetables cook more evenly and crisp up in the oven, but it also adds a rich flavor that makes roasted vegetables irresistible.

I usually use a mild olive oil when roasting vegetables, but you could also use coconut oil, avocado oil, or any other oil you like to use. Also, I usually toss the vegetables with my hands so I can rub the oil into the vegetables and make sure they’re evenly coated.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back