How to Pay for Pricey Prescriptions

Olde Hornet

How to Pay for Pricey Prescriptions​

Over the past several months, my eyes have been dry. And I’m not talking about a little scratchy here and there. It’s more like no amount of sleep or Visine or time forgoing contact lenses can keep me from waking up looking like I spent the night with Cheech and Chong. So you can imagine the tears of joy I cried (or not) when the ophthalmologist wrote me a prescription for eyedrops that treat chronic dry eye. He told me the drug wasn’t available as a generic, so it might be pricey, but handed me a coupon. “Pay as little as $5* a month,” it said on the front. Sold!

I should have paid more attention to the asterisk. Because when I handed my prescription, along with my coupon, to the pharmacist, she told me I owed her $270 for my first month’s worth of eyedrops. My coupon only entitled me to a $250 discount on a drug that cost an eye-watering (sorry) $520 per month.

I use GoodRx for some of my prescriptions. There was one that was $27 for a 30 day supply at Walgreens and I checked GoodRx and got a 90 day supply from Kroger for $29. I also check the makers as they have discounts you can use to take your deductible down.

Back