How to make the SWAC Tournament better

Well he's failed miserably at that. So "IMO" we need to go back to the top seeded school hosting it or firing him and getting somebody who can actually get it done.
The schools/teams like the experience of playing the tourney in Toyota Center. The presidents voted to have it there.

One place they made a mistake this time i think is not having a concert along with the finals. The year they had a concert (I think the first year) there was a really good crowd...although many did not come for the game there was a really good crowd and I think sTu and PV were in the finals.

The concert drew the casual and concert going fans.

Get SWAC alums (who live in the Houston metro area) to come and problem is solved.

Houston resident SWAC alums need to show up no matter who is in the finals. Solve that riddle and everything else is a moot point.

I will grant you that parking downtown is nightmare price-wise. For many that may be an issue. Find a way to incorporate the Light Rail in transporting to and from the Toyota Center.

Why didn't ya'll just pull up this thread from last year?

I personally like it being in Houston BUT I think they should move it to that arena that Fiyah (or somebody) proposed last year out by the Galleria.

The schools/teams like the experience of playing the tourney in Toyota Center. The presidents voted to have it there.

I think we're all aware of that. Doesn't changed the fact that he has failed to get the corporate sponsorship that's needed to keep the conference from going in the red.

Nor should it have any bearing on doing what makes cent$ for the conference

Well he's failed miserably at that. So "IMO" we need to go back to the top seeded school hosting it or firing him and getting somebody who can actually get it done.

The thing is, he doesn't work for us. He works for the C.O.P. and they think he's doing a awesome job.

I think we're all aware of that. Doesn't changed the fact that he has failed to get the corporate sponsorship that's needed to keep the conference from going in the red.

With us not seeing the actual books , we really don't know that the conference is in the red. With the major sponsor being Toyota, they are the one's taking on the debts of the tournament.

The thing is, he doesn't work for us. He works for the C.O.P. and they think he's doing a awesome job.

With us not seeing the actual books , we really don't know that the conference is in the red. With the major sponsor being Toyota, they are the one's taking on the debts of the tournament.

We also picked up Wells Fargo Bank as a sponsor this year.

I would like to know if you post on this thread if you ever been to the tournament in the Toyota Center.

For the record I have. I've missed one year in Houston due to a funeral. I been to at least 7 tournaments outside of Houston.

As much as I have to agree that the Commissioner blew this. I can't help but have equal empathy for the job he has to do after reading all these post and the million and one different directions everybody that's criticizing him is going .

No kidding.

I think if there were more sensible, data driven decisions being made, the criticism (from myself included) would calm some. Its one thing to make an unpopular decision that makes sense based on data...its another to make an emotional decision based on wanting to stay in good graces with certain university presidents

B Ham is the home of the conference, why not use Legion Field (Football), Regions Field (Baseball) and The BJCC (Basketball). Package all three up for a multi year deal and get a discount on them, shoot, maybe throw in a deal for hotels and accomidations for fans since you will be generating money for the local economy.
The BJCC: https://www.bjcc.org/, also
Regions: http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?sid=t247&ymd=20120127&content_id=26491494&vkey=team4
Legion Field: http://www.birminghamal.gov/parks-and-recreation/legion-field/

Birmingham is too far east to appease the Texas & Louisiana schools.

Birmingham is too far east to appease the Texas & Louisiana schools.

There is nothing appealing about Bham. Football is MUCH better in Houston and its not like bball was setting the world on fire in Bham. Toyota Center is simply too big for us.

There is nothing appealing about Bham. Football is MUCH better in Houston and its not like bball was setting the world on fire in Bham. Toyota Center is simply too big for us.

Its a basketball tournament. Some of yall make it sound like somebody is asking you to MOVE to Bham. I agree that Houston is an overall better city with more things to do.

The JSU Queen Dome would be a perfect venue. Centralized to the whole conference. Whats the status on that project?

The actual basketball games arent the biggest draw. Just ask the CIAA.

Black folks dont support black events anymore unless its entertainment, sad to say. If there is no concert or juke joints, nobody goes. Thats not a Houston/bham problem...thats an US problem, and thats why we cant outrecruit midmajor PWIs. Players want to be the central focus. Not the entertainment

The actual basketball games arent the biggest draw. Just ask the CIAA.

Black folks dont support black events anymore unless its entertainment, sad to say. If there is no concert or juke joints, nobody goes. Thats not a Houston/bham problem...thats an US problem, and thats why we cant outrecruit midmajor PWIs. Players want to be the central focus. Not the entertainment

I can't say that I agree with that assessment. That may be true in some cases for some schools but not all.

It is 100% truth in regards to the SWAC basketball tournament.

In the bamas case yes that's been proving but I think people simply have unrealistic expectations when it comes to basketball .

As someone stated earlier in 2015 there were 7K there and we weren't even eligible .

If the tournament is being underwritten by Toyota and Wells Fargo that may be one reason it was scaled back to two days at Toyota Center and this conversation is moot...unless you want to continue to argue how it looks on TV. If the conference is not losing money I do not see a problem.

My comments were made from purely a financial position.

In the bamas case yes that's been proving but I think people simply have unrealistic expectations when it comes to basketball .

As someone stated earlier in 2015 there were 7K there and we weren't even eligible .

Was there or was there not entertainment in 2015?

Bama State and AAMU (the "Bamas") had 6,000+ in Legacy Arena in Bham in 2005. Both schools had to drive 1.5 hours to the neutral site location. Both schools have alumni bases in Birmingham.

There were 3,041 folks in attendance when SU won last year. 2500 when TXSU won this year. SU supposedy has a large alumni base in Houston. TXSU is across town from the Toyota Center.

5-7k in Houston isnt unrealistic. YALL just love giving excuses for showing up to everything but your schools basketball tourney & championship games.

Bama State and AAMU (the "Bamas") had 6,000+ in Legacy Arena in Bham in 2005. Both schools had to drive 1.5 hours to the neutral site location. Both schools have alumni bases in Birmingham.

There were 3,041 folks in attendance when SU won last year. 2500 when TXSU won this year. SU supposedy has a large alumni base in Houston. TXSU is across town from the Toyota Center.

5-7k in Houston isnt unrealistic. YALL just love giving excuses for showing up to everything but your schools basketball tourney & championship games.

You seem to be getting things twisted again. You're the one that implied fans won't come out unless there is a concert. aka an excuse

Everybody know that the bamas support the bamas and there in lies the problem. The tournament isn't about you or any one school. So saying that you had 6k for what basically was a cross town rivalry game isn't some huge accomplishment especially when that number drop down below a thousand when just one of the local schools are participating .

Last edited:
You seem to be getting things twisted again. You're the one that implied fans won't come out unless their is a concert. aka an excuse

Everybody know that the bamas support the bamas and their in lies the problem the tournament isn't about you or any one school. So saying that you had 6k for what basically was a cross town rivalry game isn't some huge accomplishment especially when that number drop down below a thousand when just one of the local schools are participating .

Apparently 6k IS an accomplishment compared to the tumbleweeds tumbling around the Toyota Center.

Show me when the tournament in Bham was ever below 1000 with one of the in-state teams participating...

Apparently 6k IS an accomplishment compared to the tumbleweeds tumbling around the Toyota Center.

Show me when the tournament in Bham was ever below 1000 with one of the in-state teams participating...

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. As I stated before I never was for them going away from the top seeded school hosting the game and going to one set site.

So you can have that pissing contest with one of the other folks who are more concern about trying to be the tallest midget in the building rather than what makes more cent $ for the conference .

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. As I stated before I never was for them going away from the top seeded school hosting the game and going to one set site.

So you can have that pissing contest with one of the other folks who are more concern about trying to be the tallest midget in the building rather than what makes more cent $ for the conference .

Whats the ROI on the current contract?

Back