How "the Great 8" comes from PrinceHall Masonry/OES

So most of the Pan Hell founders were Masons or OES?

So what?

Like Suge said, I HAVE 4 Founders, 3 charter members and 6 LB's . That's where it stops for me.

Do your thing, "OH Father of us all" members. Nothing but love.

I bet you most if not all of the founders were members of their respective fraternity/sorority before they became a mason or eastern star.

I disagree, a majority of the men, especially if they had been in the military or their father or grandfather were a member of the Lodge, became Mason while in the Military or in High School. Afterwards, they attended college and organized or pledged a fraternity.

While I was at TN State, I helped raise several APA, Q and Sigmas.

I cannot speak for the OES.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Dr H.. said:
While I was at TN State, I helped raise several APA, Q and Sigmas.

You helped bring in Black men who were already Omegas, Alphas, Sigmas into your Order.

Crazies thing though. I had a dream about Masonry. :confused:

SONNY said:
You helped bring in Black men who were already Omegas, Alphas, Sigmas into your Order.

No, they were Masons first and pledged during their Junior and Senior year at TSU. The best part is we have are remained close friend. It's funny I was on the initiation committee for my Temple and two names was called, I looked and there they were. My first reaction was [What!] not them. Yes they had a ?hot? time crossing the desert. :lmao:

SONNY said:

Sonny, I do know some bruhs that became Masons after crossing the burning sands.

As a 33rd Degree Mason, it is always interesting to read what individuals think about the order.

Do we have anyone on the boad that is a member of the Commander of The Rite?

buckwheat1911 said:
Sonny, I do know some bruhs that became Masons after crossing the burning sands.

Team, Im going to call you after work. This dream was CRAZY YO!!
I dont even want to say half of it on this site.

It was bananas....

MightyDog said:
As a 33rd Degree Mason, it is always interesting to read what individuals think about the order.

Do we have anyone on the boad that is a member of the Commander of The Rite?

MD, it is interesting to read comments from non- Masons. While I don't get hyped as someone said about Masons being founding members of these Fraternities. I have to laugh when I hear folks say that Masonry has not influenced their rituals and other things within their said organizations. They all have a Masonic overtone but yet were not meant to be any relation to Masonry. I can remember being raised PHA in 92 with a couple of my KKPSI frats from Morehouse who also happened to both be Alphas. We were all like these rituals sure seem similiar to what we experienced pledging PSI and for them pledging PSI and Alpha. The correlation was the founders who happened to be Masons just used what they already knew and incorporated some of it in the rituals of the Fraternities they were creating. Nothing more and nothing less. Masonry is on a way different level than the fraternities and sororities ever will be. So it is no comparison.

Now for Masons wanting to step and all that other non sense. Well I will say this. Just like you have Alphas, Omegas, and Kappas that misrepresent your organizations. The same has happened in Masonry as well. Some do not represent like they are supposed to. That is one of the reasons I waited to be raised after college. The youngsters don't always get it. That is in all organizations. A certain maturity level has to develop. Just my 2 cents.

Dr H.. said:
True, decades ago the Masons, Elks and OES were three of the organizations individuals could become a member of, without attending college.

While some college students may think the Masons are a fraternity and the OES is a Sorority, they are not. Contrary to popular belief, the Masons did not organize any College Fraternities, nor did the OES organize any Sororities.

There are similarities in the rituals of the Masons, College Frat's, Elks, KKK and so on. If you continue to research, you will find that the Masons and OES has it roots deeply imbedded in Ancient African Secret Societies, in fact the Masons goes back to the Building of King Solomon?s Temple. The Masons started as an organization for Brick or Stone Masons. Similiar to the modern day Labor Union

I was raised in 1971 -

camelleft.gif

Well Bruh Dr H I am afraid that you don't know what you are talking about. because every founder of A phi A was a memeber of Prince Hall. In fact they were founded in a lodge in Ithica, NY before requesting a charter at Cornell U.

That's just one example

Well Bruh Dr H I am afraid that you don't know what you are talking about. because every founder of A phi A was a memeber of Prince Hall. In fact they were founded in a lodge in Ithica, NY before requesting a charter at Cornell U.

That's just one example

alpha and the masonic connection

from

http://www.skipmason.com/hm/hm21.htm

MASONIC AND OTHER FRATERNAL
TIES TO THE SEVEN JEWELS
By Skip Mason

Many brothers have questioned whether or not the founders were Masons or
members of some other fraternal lodges. My research has found documentation
that Jewels Robert Harold Ogle and George Biddle Kelley were. It is also speculated though not documented at this time that Chapman, Tandy and Callis
may have been also through circumstantial evidence. Let me deal with each one. Chapman, much older than the others by as much as ten years owned a brick yard and restaurant and was far more established in the city outside of Ithaca called Spencer. Keep in mind that it was Chapman who secured the Masonic Hall. Jewel Tandy's father was the Grand master of several lodges in Lexington, Kentucky so it is likely that he would have been a member. The lack of authentication regarding Callis's membership in a lodge still perplexes me. There is no mention of his affiliation in a Masonic Lodge in Wesley's book Henry Arthur Callis: Life and Legacy. Callis's father, the Reverend Henry Jesse Callis was a member of the Odds Fellows. After having gone through his papers at the Moorland Spingarn, there too was no indication that he was Masonic member, though many brothers are quick to say that he was. Ogle was a National Officer for the Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks. Jewel Kelley was very active in Masonic circles. He served as First master of the Mt. Moriah Lodge No 25 in Troy, District Deputy Grandmaster of the Grand Lodge of he State of New York and was a 33rd degree Mason of Utica Consitory of Scottish Rites. Brother also keep in mind that C.C. Poindexter witnessed the first initiation. He had not disbanded from the group at that point. It is possible that he may have been a Mason too. (I AM WORKING ON AN ARTICLE ON POINDEXTER FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE DYING TO KNOW WHETHER OR NOT HE WAS ON OMEGA.)

The four of them (Jewels Kelley, Callis, Chapman and Tandy) served on the first initiation committee. Kelley and Callis both worked in white fraternity houses at Cornell and was privy to the secret documents shared to them by the members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Beta Theta fraternities. Their research combined with Tandy and Chapman's participation helped to constitute the first ritual. Know that the ritual changed over the years. Later brothers such as Eugene Kinckle Jones and Roscoe C. Giles(Alpha's second president worked on the ritual). If you recall, Jones rewrote the ritual by memory.

*In my research I rely on primary and secondary source material for documentation. To affirm their Masonic affiliations, sources such as a biography, obituary or funeral program would have indicated those ties. As I have stated in the obituaries for Callis, Chapman, Jones, Murray or Tandy, there is no mention of their having been a member of a lodge or any fraternal rites being done at the funeral. If a brother has other documentation, please let me know!

Sonny,

It sounds like you have some issues with the masons. I wonder where this comes from. You and I were cool in school and the topic of me being a mason was never a roadblock for us. Anyway bruh, it's good to see that you are doing good.

Rashad
Class of 2000

rashad lewis said:
Sonny,

It sounds like you have some issues with the masons. I wonder where this comes from. You and I were cool in school and the topic of me being a mason was never a roadblock for us. Anyway bruh, it's good to see that you are doing good.

Rashad
Class of 2000

WTH!?!?!!!?

Where this Ni99a come from. RASHAD get your behind off the NET!!!!! :lol:

Naw I aint got no problems with the ORDER. I just dont have any ties to it. My Founders may have been Masons, but that aint got nothing to do with my current membership in Omega.

Just all this "WE YO DADDIES....without us, it aint no YOU" rhetoric is getting old..............FAST!!!!!
Mason is Mason, Greek is Greek.
Just leave it at that, but if it makes yall feel better say what you wanna.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
In all honesty no one but Masons should know that you are a Mason. That's why I participated very little in this conversation. I feel it is so dumb to compare SOCIAL frats to the Masons and vice versa to the sororities. Their differences are SO phenomenal. Well, I can only speak for KAPSI and Prince Halls Masons.

To Be One Means to Ask One and quite frankly no one asked. Plus I wouldn't tell you over email anyway.

So carry on...

Suge said:
Here is your fact, SOME masons wanted to be in BGLO's so they treat the masons like it is a frat. They get jackets and other para that from my understanding is all out of order. There is a guy I work with that constantly wants to compare the two groups, and he is a perfect example of what i mentioned. He wanted to be a que.

I can't stand that shiiit and I am not even a member!!! In my humble opinion, I feel that Masons and Eastern Stars should be set by a different standard from your average college frat or soro. I think the fact that I see people treat them like Greek orgs was the main reason why I was never interested. If you want to be Greek, GO GREEK!

I also feel the same way about Professional Organizations and Band, but that is a whole nother topic.

Back