How Much Money Is Enough?

SUJagFan

Considering the recent thread about what we would do with $500+ million in lottery winnings, I was wondering how much money would be "enough" money for us?

At what dollar amount would you say "that's enough ... I don't need another dollar for the rest of my life"?

Interesting.

I remember being a high school senior and having a discussion with some of my classmates about what we intended to do with our lives. I remember saying that I wanted to do what I'm doing now and retire being worth $10 million. At the time, 10 million dollars seemed like a LOT of money to me. Now, not so much.

However, I think there is a limit for me. I just don't know what it is.

I don't know. I will let you know when I get there. I do want to be a millionaire though.

I guess it depends on what type of lifestyle you live or want to live. I don't need Joey Votto money to live a meaningful and productive life.

I think probably anyone can retire and live very comfortably on 1 million dollars. You just need a little financial wisdom and you can net 10k/month off of that fo' life!

My point on the topic is that we as people are taught via society that no amt is enough. The reason is that society teaches us to want that next new product (the iphone, that next BMW, 10 acre mansion ect). Some of us are fortunate to have self imposed limits thereby we can state what would be though of as enough. I would think I would be happy with twelve million. Half million donation to church and half to charities, two million to enjoy, set up trust for the kids with three million, and six million to set up a funds to create a residual cash cow for the future.

Last edited:
My point on the topic is that we as people are taught via society that no amt is enough. The reason is that society teaches us to want that next new product (the iphone, that next BMW, 10 acre mansion ect). Some of us are fortunate to have self imposed limits thereby we can state what would be though of as enough. I would think I would be happy with twelve million. Half million donation to church and half to charities, two million to enjoy, set up trust for the kids with three million, and six million to set up a funds to create a residual cash cow for the future.

I agree with you.

I think there is a limit for me. A point at which I'll be satisfied to go off and write books in the South Pacific rather than pursue that next dollar.

I think probably anyone can retire and live very comfortably on 1 million dollars. You just need a little financial wisdom and you can net 10k/month off of that fo' life!

This got me thinking.

Ten thousand dollars a month would be $120,000 per year which would be in the top 10% as far as income is concerned. From a one million dollar investment, that would require a 12% return. Possible, but challenging to accomplish for most.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

Which led me to think about other combinations of investment and return required to generate $120,000:

$ 2,000,000 X 6.0% = $120,000
$ 3,000,000 X 4.0% = $120,000
$ 5,000,000 X 2.4% = $120,000
$10,000,000 X 1.2% = $120,000

Income of four percent should be relatively easy to accomplish with municipal bonds, utility stocks and such. So, that would mean anything above 3 million would put you in the top 10% of income earners without ever touching your principal.

$ 5,000,000 X 4.0% = $200,000
$10,000,000 X 4.0% = $400,000

Before tax and not considering inflation, of course.

Hmmm.

Makes me wonder how these athletes ever go broke.

This got me thinking.

Ten thousand dollars a month would be $120,000 per year which would be in the top 10% as far as income is concerned. From a one million dollar investment, that would require a 12% return. Possible, but challenging to accomplish for most.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

Which led me to think about other combinations of investment and return required to generate $120,000:

$ 2,000,000 X 6.0% = $120,000
$ 5,000,000 X 2.4% = $120,000
$10,000,000 X 1.2% = $120,000

Income of four percent should be relatively easy to accomplish with municipal bonds, utility stocks and such. So, that would mean anything above 3 million would put you in the top 10% of income earners without ever touching your principal.

$ 5,000,000 X 4.0% = $200,000
$10,000,000 X 4.0% = $400,000

Before tax and not considering inflation, of course.

Hmmm.

Makes me wonder how these athletes ever go broke.
This is my thinking...

If someone had $1 million cash they can do 1 of the 2 following things to retire comfortably:

1st.
Buy 8 houses cash for 100k each. These will be in nice / decent neighborhoods with rentals in the $1,250/month range. Rent them out. 8 rentals at $1250/mo will net you 10k/month = 120k/year. Pay a management company to take care of them so that you never have to deal them. You write off the depreciation so ALL income is NET. So you'll have 120k/year NET to live on (that's like 160k GROSS), plus a 200k cushion in the bank never to be touched except for emergencies.

2nd.
Buy into apartment complexes (800k divided amongst 2 or 3 apartment properties) and collect payouts NET $$$ every month, and equity cash-outs NET $$$ every couple years. More to it than that but it can all be learned.

These are real numbers based on the Houston market and it has retired several colleaques in the past couple years. Pretty safe and higher returns than 99.9% of other investments. And if you can't live well off of this then I guess use 2 million as the example and double all of the numbers above.

Make sure you support a few good charities...

Last edited:
This is my thinking...

If someone had $1 million cash they can do 1 of the 2 following things to retire comfortably:

1st.
Buy 8 houses cash for 100k each. These will be in nice / decent neighborhoods with rentals in the $1,250/month range. Rent them out. 8 rentals at $1250/mo will net you 10k/month = 120k/year. Pay a management company to take care of them so that you never have to deal them. You write off the depreciation so ALL income is NET. So you'll have 120k/year NET to live on (that's like 160k GROSS), plus a 200k cushion in the bank never to be touched except for emergencies.

2nd.
Buy into apartment complexes (800k divided amongst 2 or 3 apartment properties) and collect payouts NET $$$ every month, and equity cash-outs NET $$$ every couple years. More to it than that but it can all be learned.

These are real numbers based on the Houston market and it has retired several colleaques in the past couple years. Pretty safe and higher returns than 99.9% of other investments. And if you can't live well off of this then I guess use 2 million as the example and double all of the numbers above.

Make sure you support a few good charities...

I figured you were talking about some sort of real estate investing when I saw that the rate of return needed to make your example work was 12%.

I'm thinking the rate of return will be somewhat less than 12% in the example you gave because you have to consider taxes, insurance, maintenance, management fees and occupancy rate. Not to say that 12% isn't possible.

Thanks though.

More to think about ....

You folks are some bright people with heads on your shoulders. Glad to see brothers talk real business. :tup:

Give me a few millions to put away (including for Seth's education and first home), pay off my house (that I will continue to live in) and other debt (including parent's debt), make some smart, small investments with the help of a credible financial planner/real estate/rental property. Then I'd devote full time to writing and promoting my book to the point where hopefully and eventually it can be the primary income and the milllions can sit in the bank and make more money.

I figured you were talking about some sort of real estate investing when I saw that the rate of return needed to make your example work was 12%.

I'm thinking the rate of return will be somewhat less than 12% in the example you gave because you have to consider taxes, insurance, maintenance, management fees and occupancy rate. Not to say that 12% isn't possible.

Thanks though.

More to think about ....
Yes, you are 100% correct. Taxes, ins, etc must come out...

You folks are some bright people with heads on your shoulders. Glad to see brothers talk real business. :tup:

True! I'm sitting her like these brothers are really explaining some good information. I think we need more of that on here.

Back