How millions of jobless Americans can afford to ditch work

Olde Hornet

How millions of jobless Americans can afford to ditch work​

One of the more insidious myths this year was that young people didn't want to work because they were getting by just fine on government aid. People had too much money, went the narrative.

Only trouble is, the numbers don't back it up.

Instead, early retirement — whether forced by the pandemic or made possible otherwise — is playing a big role in America's evolving labor market.
People have left the workforce for myriad reasons in the past two years — layoffs, health insecurity, child care needs, and any number of personal issues that arose from the disruption caused by the pandemic. But among those who have left and are not able to — or don't want to — return, the vast majority are older Americans who accelerated their retirement.

Earlier this month, ADP Chief Economist Nela Richardson said the strong stock market along with soaring home prices "has given some higher income people options. We already saw a large portion of the Boomer workforce retiring. And they're in a better position now."

The other reason is due to the pandemic people have learned to live on less and the gig economy is helping some folks. The most people at the company I'm at that make between $15-20 an hour didn't come back to work after our long furlough from March 2020 to this summer ( I work for a company that support meetings for the hotel industry) and they are doing gig type jobs or just not coming back at all maybe living with parents or room mates and doing uber eats and small temp or contract work which is causing some of the physical type work (constructing trusses and pulling cables installing large screens and speakers) to fall on us salary folk (where I used to only manage the internet) and it's tough, which is one of the reasons I'm leaving this job.

The other reason jobs aren't being filled is due to the job screening algorithm of HR portals such as Workday, Taleo, etc which can reject a perfectly qualified candidate and cause jobs to go unfilled because their resume didn't say the right things to get past the initial screen. I have proof of this because the new job I'm going to, workday screened me and gave me a reject letter and the only reason I moved on because my old Director referred me to the CISO of the company and he asked why I wasn't scheduled for an interview. The HR rep had to pull my application and force it through and I start my new job I was rejected for on Monday 12/23. Amerikkka is jacked up right now and I'm not smart enough to say what needs to happen next but what's down the road for us isn't good if something drastic isn't done.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The other reason is due to the pandemic people have learned to live on less and the gig economy is helping some folks. The most people at the company I'm at that make between $15-20 an hour didn't come back to work after our long furlough from March 2020 to this summer ( I work for a company that support meetings for the hotel industry) and they are doing gig type jobs or just not coming back at all maybe living with parents or room mates and doing uber eats and small temp or contract work which is causing some of the physical type work (constructing trusses and pulling cables installing large screens and speakers) to fall on us salary folk (where I used to only manage the internet) and it's tough, which is one of the reasons I'm leaving this job.

The other reason jobs aren't being filled is due to the job screening algorithm of HR portals such as Workday, Taleo, etc which can reject a perfectly qualified candidate and cause jobs to go unfilled because their resume didn't say the right things to get past the initial screen. I have proof of this because the new job I'm going to, workday screened me and gave me a reject letter and the only reason I moved on because my old Director referred me to the CISO of the company and he asked why I wasn't scheduled for an interview. The HR rep had to pull my application and force it through and I start my new job I was rejected for on Monday 12/23. Amerikkka is jacked up right now and I'm not smart enough to say what needs to happen next but what's down the road for us isn't good if something drastic isn't done.
America needs to get over their problem with immigrants. It will need young immigrants to pay into social security, otherwise ss will go bankrupt sooner than expected.

Back