How Many of You Have Kids Who are Being Actively Recruited to Play Football

The Founder

You dont get better athletes by NOT playing better teams.

2Kool made this post and it really got me to thinking....

We have a number of posters commenting on recruiting etc...yet are any of you parents? This is not a sarcastic question or a comment to say you should be commenting.

This thread is to gauge how parents of those being recruited or trying to get their kids on a college roster feel.

It’s everything. Everything matters in recruiting(facilities, weight room, history of success, culture) because these coaches are mackin at an unbelievable level to get kids.

2Kool made this post and it really got me to thinking....

We have a number of posters commenting on recruiting etc...yet are any of you parents? This is not a sarcastic question or a comment to say you should be commenting.

This thread is to gauge how parents of those being recruited or trying to get their kids on a college roster feel.

I'm not a parent yet, but I have close friends and relatives who's kids were recruited. Most parents are delusional. My cousin played RB in high school after I told him he needed to switch to defense if he wanted to play in college. He got letters but no offers from any school at any level, but his momma kept swearing up and down that all that snail mail from Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi State actually meant he was being recruited.

I told her straight up... If a coach hasn't picked up the phone to call you, or scheduled a visit in your home...it ain't happening.

Had another friend who's kid was offered by a some D2 HBCUs that will remain nameless. He chose to walk-on at a D1-AA PWC because his momma saw some letters and thought he should "strive for the best". He was not even a preferred walk on either. The kid never played a down and was miserable the whole time he was there. Fast foward a year and a half, and his momma is asking ME if I can push him on the coaches at A&M.

Nope.

Going through it right now with my son, senior DTackle and Right Tackle. It's a learning process for sure! I agree with Kendrick........facilities, strength and conditioning staff culture...... most importantly the educational opportunties On a personal input level....he's got at least 20 looks......some by way of personal twitter messages, text messages and/or visits to the school..Mostly D1-AA, D2.........and one BIg 12 school.
But I've come to find out through those who have been down this road that out of all those "looks", he MIGHT get one offer......he might get 5.....he might get none. . What I've learned after listening to coaches speak and college counselors..........that if you're not a blue chipper and like 2Kool said, if they're not blowing up your phone or coming to your house....then go find you a good D1-AA or D2 school to play at and get all or some of your education paid for and focus on a good major. He has a good shot at quite a few schools on the list but because he's coming from a small private school, the big schools aren't gonna come knocking down the door so I've got him to buy in to EDUCATION......no need to walk on to Texas, Tech, A&M and be a tackling dummy for 4 years and not be able to walk to class or focus on schoolwork and not having a chance to get on the field. Some of these small schools have VERY good facilities and staffs. BEING REALISTIC IS KEY.

Going through it right now with my son, senior DTackle and Right Tackle. It's a learning process for sure! I agree with Kendrick........facilities, strength and conditioning staff culture...... most importantly the educational opportunties On a personal input level....he's got at least 20 looks......some by way of personal twitter messages, text messages and/or visits to the school..Mostly D1-AA, D2.........and one BIg 12 school.
But I've come to find out through those who have been down this road that out of all those "looks", he MIGHT get one offer......he might get 5.....he might get none. . What I've learned after listening to coaches speak and college counselors..........that if you're not a blue chipper and like 2Kool said, if they're not blowing up your phone or coming to your house....then go find you a good D1-AA or D2 school to play at and get all or some of your education paid for and focus on a good major. He has a good shot at quite a few schools on the list but because he's coming from a small private school, the big schools aren't gonna come knocking down the door so I've got him to buy in to EDUCATION......no need to walk on to Texas, Tech, A&M and be a tackling dummy for 4 years and not be able to walk to class or focus on schoolwork and not having a chance to get on the field. Some of these small schools have VERY good facilities and staffs. BEING REALISTIC IS KEY.

I completely agree. I experienced similar things when I tagged along with one of my nephews

Absolutely.

And if a guy gets to college, works his ass off and perfects himself, the pros will find him if they believe he can play on Sundays.

There are probably more G5, 1AA, D2, D3 players on an NFL roster than former 4/5 star HS recruits.

Absolutely.

And if a guy gets to college, works his ass off and perfects himself, the pros will find him if they believe he can play on Sundays.

There are probably more G5, 1AA, D2, D3 players on an NFL roster than former 4/5 star HS recruits.
That's because there are only a few 4/5 star recruits in any given year anyway. Some do not pan out in college and never make it, but it's at a lower rate than those who don't make it from the vast list you compared them to.

I know this is off topic a little but, My son is basketball not football. But his balling stopped in HS, these Mansfield ISD coaches, namely coach Wilson at Lakeridge got their favorites and if you not one of them you will get screwed. He averaged 13 points a game freshman year and the coach wouldn't even let him be in athletics sophomore year. He is headed to PV now for just the education part, so it works out for him in the end. The favorites still didn't get much love because he can't coach anyway. The HS coach sometimes can mess you up in recruiting because they don't care about anything but what you do for them in HS. If you good enough in sports even in HS they start cutting you slack on the academics, much as I like sports, I hate seeing our sons sacrificed at the large schools thinking they going to the NFL and some foregoing actually getting a usable degree while they are being pimped by the P5 schools.

Absolutely.

Yep, he said he has no aspirations of going pro.........so I said, then go to a smaller school and play..........but play your ass off because at 6'5 255-260lbs, you'll pick up 30-40lbs and if you can ball, then you never know. But get that degree!

I know this is off topic a little but, My son is basketball not football. But his balling stopped in HS, these Mansfield ISD coaches, namely coach Wilson at Lakeridge got their favorites and if you not one of them you will get screwed. He averaged 13 points a game freshman year and the coach wouldn't even let him be in athletics sophomore year. He is headed to PV now for just the education part, so it works out for him in the end. The favorites still didn't get much love because he can't coach anyway. The HS coach sometimes can mess you up in recruiting because they don't care about anything but what you do for them in HS. If you good enough in sports even in HS they start cutting you slack on the academics, much as I like sports, I hate seeing our sons sacrificed at the large schools thinking they going to the NFL and some foregoing actually getting a usable degree while they are being pimped by the P5 schools.

Funny you mentioned that.........I got a nephew at Allen HS, basketball........my bro-law says the same thing. A lot of these HS coaches don't care about anything past their HS program.. L Just like Allen HS football.......they run the show around here in HS but how many have we heard of that go on to college/NFL from Allen/Southlake that make an impact?. Kyler Murray, MAYBE?

It depends on the region

In the fcs areas such as texas, facilities don’t matter to a certain extent cause perception of schools takes over and kids play in college level stadiums in high school. Folks who went to SWAC schools won’t automatically send their kids back but they’ll have no issue going to a league/conference with lesser facilities, no national TV and less fans in the stands.

In some areas some kids just want to play and will take the first thing smoking. On the east coast it’s about opportunity and campus fit more than looks. Howard can recruit a better kid than some SWAC schools (all sports) cause they sell DC and school name.

Well my kids are swimmers. I know I have a long way before they're of age to be recruited. We put our son in swim camp at the University of Texas. He participates on two swim teams and has some great coaches. I am trying to get him to buy into getting a college scholarship in swimming even though he is only eleven. There are not that many of us swimming on teams and the opportunities are limitless if you get the proper training and exposure. Grades are important also. I wish Grambling had a swim team like Howard.

Last edited:
I live in Mansfield also. I live close to the football stadium and natatorium.

Last edited:
Well my kids are swimmers. I know I have a long way before they're of age to be recruited. We put our son in swim camp at the University of Texas. He participates on two swim teams and has some great coaches. I am trying to get him to buy into getting a college scholarship in swimming even though he is only eleven. There are not that many of us swimming on teams and the opportunities are limitless if you get the proper training and exposure. Grades are important also. I wish Grambling had a swim team like Howard.

Man that's so true!

My son was a 3* DE in Ohio initially (fball) and then his sr yr moved to NC. He was reared as bballer/t&f/tennis athlete but fball recruiters tickled his mom in the ass and sold her and him to play fbs fball and accept that one offer over my desire for him to do an academic ride and do a bball walk-on deal.

My youngest is not as tall as his 6’5” older brother but he’s showing signs of putting his name in record books @ TB (jrHS texan). I brainwashed him into nutrition & strength training from the time he started pee wee fball to now lol. I feel sorry for some folks’ kids because I put a big “i hate ppl” dog in his ass :D .

This really isn't rocket science. I am the son of a coach and have been around sports my whole life. One of my degrees is in sports management and administration. All it takes is some research and simple common and street sense. Everybody think's their kid is the next Cam Newton, but if your kid isn't DOMINATING whatever division they play in then you have to be realistic. Take the emotions out of it and always remember that coaches will for the most part lie to get you to sign with their school. Pick a school that you would attend REGARDLESS of the coach because in many instances the guy that recruits you won't be the guy that's there your junior or senior year. LOOK AT THE DEPTH CHARTS!!!!!! It makes no sense to go to a school that already has a load of talent at your position, unless you don't care about being switched to another position. PLEASE GET YOUR GRADES!!! There aren't many things sadder than a great athlete that can't qualify. SEE THE BIG PICTURE. Chances are you won't go pro, but position yourself through this chance at a free education to be able to take care of yourself when your football career is over. BE YOUR OWN PERSON. Only you know what's best for you. Don't let other people live out their fantasies through you. Sit down and make an EDUCATED and INFORMED decision because you are the one that has to do those 3-5 years.

my son is a senior playing out of position at a mid-size high school. He went camping this summer for the first time. Enlighting experience. Let's just say, my next son will start that circuit after his 8th-grade year because if you aren't on their board, and just have average numbers, you get no love. Its been a learning experience for sure, but it let him see the guys who he's competing against and where he stands...which is in the middle. If he wants to play in college he likely could, as a DII or NAIA baller. That being said, I've seen some guys who were smaller & less athletic playing, starting and producing in the ACC, one of which lived across the street from me.

Yea my son is in the 10th grade and our attitude is simple....who ever offers that's where he is going.

my son is a senior playing out of position at a mid-size high school. He went camping this summer for the first time. Enlighting experience. Let's just say, my next son will start that circuit after his 8th-grade year because if you aren't on their board, and just have average numbers, you get no love. Its been a learning experience for sure, but it let him see the guys who he's competing against and where he stands...which is in the middle. If he wants to play in college he likely could, as a DII or NAIA baller. That being said, I've seen some guys who were smaller & less athletic playing, starting and producing in the ACC, one of which lived across the street from me.

Yea my son started this year and it was eye opening. He went to West Point's and that got his mind right. the earlier the better.

Had another friend who's kid was offered by a some D2 HBCUs that will remain nameless. He chose to walk-on at a D1-AA PWC because his momma saw some letters and thought he should "strive for the best". He was not even a preferred walk on either. The kid never played a down and was miserable the whole time he was there. Fast foward a year and a half, and his momma is asking ME if I can push him on the coaches at A&M.

Nope.
Nope! LOL

Back