How Japan Has Almost Eradicated Gun Crime

Olde Hornet

Japan has one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world. In 2014 there were just six gun deaths, compared to 33,599 in the US. What is the secret?

If you want to buy a gun in Japan you need patience and determination. You have to attend an all-day class, take a written exam and pass a shooting-range test with a mark of at least 95 percent.

There are also mental health and drugs tests. Your criminal record is checked and police look for links to extremist groups. Then they check your relatives too - and even your work colleagues. And as well as having the power to deny gun licences, police also have sweeping powers to search and seize weapons.

That's not all. Handguns are banned outright. Only shotguns and air rifles are allowed.

The law restricts the number of gun shops. In most of Japan's 40 or so prefectures there can be no more than three, and you can only buy fresh cartridges by returning the spent cartridges you bought on your last visit.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Checking your family I could sort of understand, because that goes back to possibly extremist ties. I still disagree with it, but checking your coworkers?
What about returning spent cartridges in order to buy more ammo? The only time I see people picking up spent cartridges are those that are reloaders.

This country's origin is in war. You can't separate the gun from this country. Each citizen has the right to defend themselves.
we'd like to think that but we know it's not practically true. the 2nd amendment was written while we were enslaved. the language about a well armed militia was inserted so that virginia could have slave patrols (that grew into modern day police departments) to put down slave revolts. they never intended for us to have firearms and we saw what happened when the black panthers armed up. then conservatives decided gun control wasn't a bad thing.
what would work in this country is for every person of color to carry. lots of us would get shot and killed b/c in many cases that firearm is justification for your death, but maybe then they'd change gun laws. I... just don't want to die that badly.

Back