How Is Your Football Recruiting Class Shaping Up?

THAMES

How is football recruiting starting to look? Most Black Colleges are very tight lipped this time of year. Are expections and needs being met? Someone should have some info. Who do you think will have the best recruting class in the SWAC?

Originally posted by THAMES
How is football recruiting starting to look? Most Black Colleges are very tight lipped this time of year. Are expections and needs being met? Someone should have some info. Who do you think will have the best recruting class in the SWAC?

From what I hear SU will do okay in recruiting this year. We have 2 verbal committments that was posted on here a month ago. A top notch Qb and DL from Bastrop I believe. So it is still too early to tell.

I expect Gram, JSU and I think Valley will surprise some folks with their recruits. I hear through the Valley grapevine that Totten and company are recruiting hard. But you never know until signing day especially for us HBCUs. Kids change their minds all the time. Especially if we are going against a PWC for a kid. Never know how that will turn out. I think the SWAC in football will be tough next year. Despite all the offseason rumblings. Just got that feeling. PV will be improved and so will Valley.

Look for JSU new coach to bring in some out of state kids that might shock a few folks.

We only have 10-15 scholarships to give out since we only lost about 10 scholarship seniors off of last year's squad. I'm not expecting a great recruiting class this year simply because the staff isn't in place yet. I'm sure we'll get some good athletes but I'm more excited about some of the guys that sat out last year.

We signed a bunch of players last year...anyone we sign this year are gonna have to be studs or look for Doug to sign only a few top blue chips and stash a few for D1 transfers.

Mike, I doubt seriously that you all can keep 35+ new recruits happy. I still think that is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in college football. JR, I think our coach is more interested in MS talent than out of state talent. Like Kool-Aide said, we don't have a lot of scholarships to give out. I think Hughes had about 24 to give out last year and I am not sure if he gave all of those out. We return 17 starters and we have a slew of redshirts, I look for Bell's next class to be outstanding but not this one.

Signing a bunch of recruits was smart if they're all good athletes and players. If you have 35 people worthy of your program who are willing to come, then why not.

Why do you think John Flen left JSU? Why do a lot of 1A bench riders transfer to 1-AA schools. Good athletes want to play not sit on the bench. If you have 35 new recruites only 22 can get on the field at one time. You won't be able to keep that many people happy if they are any good. The good thing is that the weaker, bench riding players would weed themselves out and leave and you would be left with the better athletes but you still wasted the time of about 20 young men.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Why do you think John Flen left JSU? Why do a lot of 1A bench riders transfer to 1-AA schools. Good athletes want to play not sit on the bench. If you have 35 new recruites only 22 can get on the field at one time. You won't be able to keep that many people happy if they are any good. The good thing is that the weaker, bench riding players would weed themselves out and leave and you would be left with the better athletes but you still wasted the time of about 20 young men.

OUR SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE WORKING FOR US.

I was told by a friend, Bell is doing a good job in the Houston area. Yall are supposed to be getting one hell of a linebacker out of Jack Yate High School. I think his name is Zachary East (6-2, 230, 4.7).

Running backLYNELL HAMILTONand wide receiverDECODY FAGG , two of the highest-rated players in California and Florida, respectively, will be among 30 players making official visits this weekend at Alabama A&M.

Hamilton, who played at Eddison High in Stockton, Calif., is considered among the top three running backs in the state. At 6-0 and 200 pounds, Hamilton has blazing speed.

Fagg, 6-3 and 190, who played at Shanks High in Quincy, Fla., is ranked among the top three wide receivers in the state and is also fast.

Two other players from the state of Florida - linebacker Henry Roberson, 6-0 and 215, of Madison and defensive lineman Kevin Lockhart, 6-2 and 275, of Tall - will also be in town.

Other players expected to visit A&M include Decatur High offensive lineman Brandon Bell, Parker receiver Demetrice Beverly, linebacker Marcel Binion, Lithonia (Ga.) defensive back Marcus Black, Mays-Atlanta receiver Curtis Blake, Wenonah defensive end Lloyd Blevins, Parker offensive lineman Jamarius Dismuke, LeFlore receiver Willie Edwards, Quincy-Shanks offensive lineman Cedric Fisher, Russellville defensive back Terrell Groce, Therrell-Atlanta defensive back Broderick Jamerson, LeFlore offensive lineman Roderick Johnson, Woodson-Washington receiver Paul Kellum, Wayne-Ohio quarterback A.J. Lash, Stephenson-Atlanta defensive lineman Brian Lomax, Tarrant linebacker Avery Molard, McAdory receiver James Nelson, Tri-Cities (Ga.) defensive back Jawwaad Payne, Russellville receiver Quinton Phillips, Johnson running back Carlton Rice, Therrell-Atlanta running back Antoine Varner and Wenonah defensive back Carnell Williams.

Reggie Benson

This will be PV's best class ever since we can offer scholarships. I befriended the recruiting coordinator this past fall and hope the kids we offered sign with us.

We're just trying to get back in touch with strong hs programs.

Most of last year's class was redshirted and some of them were prop players. In the past, Doug has followed up on most of the props with a red-shirt year (especially offensive linemen who need time to develop anyway).

Don'know how many of the guys from last year are still there but having too much talent is never a bad thing. It' how the coach deals with all the talent and how he handles playing time. We normally play a lot of backup players on specialty teams plus use heavy substitution in our front seven on defense. This allows us to get a lot of people in the game. The only area we don't sub a lot is at qb and odffensive line.

JSU is very tight lipped about recruits as all HBCs should be. I hear that we are doing pretty well though. Looking specifically for defensive linemen...PERIOD.

Everything else is tight for the next couple of years.....we should go after a bigtime RB too.

We only lost a safety from last years defense, but our best safety partially qualified (Vincent Dancy...remember that name). I expect Brandon Jones or Larry McSwain to step right in where Elgin left off. The best D in the conference should be even better.

Hell I hope we give 10 scholarships to 10 defensive linemen and 4 of those need to be JUCU transfers....thats all we need. Our starting 4 linemen are seniors next year.

Originally posted by Get Ready
JSU is very tight lipped about recruits as all HBCs should be. I hear that we are doing pretty well though. Looking specifically for defensive linemen...PERIOD.

Everything else is tight for the next couple of years.....we should go after a bigtime RB too.

We only lost a safety from last years defense, but our best safety partially qualified (Vincent Dancy...remember that name). I expect Brandon Jones or Larry McSwain to step right in where Elgin left off. The best D in the conference should be even better.

Hell I hope we give 10 scholarships to 10 defensive linemen and 4 of those need to be JUCU transfers....thats all we need. Our starting 4 linemen are seniors next year.

is Noah Ingam ( I believe that is his name) playing for JSU? I remember reading at article on him when I came down there for the Texas So game in 2000 while he was still in high school. I believe he had ran for about 300 or 400 yards in one game.

Good question

I havent heard anything from him. Havent even been able to find him on the net. Im gonna ask somebody though. He wasnt suited for Asberry's offense, but just may fit with Bell (depending).

Originally posted by Tigerpride

Not that many are leaving 1A, one or two. They dress more than a 100 player for home games, sometimes three guys wear the same number.

It worse in D1 basketball, high school all-americans are sitting on the bench for four years at top 25 schools. You would think good athlete would want to play but I guess there is a lot of pride and glory in participating in the practices.

AAMU may get commitment from player.

http://www.al.com/sports/birmingham...standard.xsl?/base/sports/104314413690620.xml

More From Today's Birmingham News

Sports News

Jackson verbally commits to Florida

01/21/03

JOHN DAWSON
News staff writer

Hoover High School wide receiver Chad Jackson, rated the state's top football prospect, said Monday he has committed to the University of Florida.

He said he likely will not take his scheduled official visit to the University of Alabama on Jan.31. He visited Auburn this past weekend.

This weekend he is scheduled to visit Georgia, but Jackson said he hasn't decided if he'll make the trip.

"I might go to Georgia this weekend to see what they have, but my mind is pretty much made up," Jackson said. "I'm going to announce it later this week, or Monday when I get back from Georgia."

The Hoover senior said he told the Gators of his commitment last Wednesday. He described his commitment as "soft," but when asked if there's a chance he will change his mind he replied: "Probably not."

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day for Jackson to sign a national letter of intent with Florida is Feb. 5.

Jackson was the Birmingham News' No. 1 Super Senior and this week was named to the PARADE All-America team. During his senior season, he led the Bucs to the 6A state title with a flurry of touchdown receptions. Jackson also was a Mr. Football award finalist.

He has already qualified academically.

"They did a great job of recruiting him. He felt more wanted by Florida," said Hoover coach Rush Propst. "I'm not surprised."

Jackson's first real exposure to the Gators came during summer football camps. Later, the senior's visit to Gainesville on Jan.10-12 apparently sealed the deal.

He cited the crop of young quarterbacks at Florida as one of the reasons for his decision. The Gators received an oral commitment from Charlotte, N.C., quarterback Chris Leak, one of the nation's most sought-after quarterback recruits.

"They've got great quarterbacks and it's good for receivers," Jackson said.

Alabama had made inroads with Jackson following the hire of Mike Price as head coach. Jackson had shied away from Alabama and Dennis Franchione's more run-oriented offense. But the new Crimson Tide coach reached out to Jackson in a meeting after Price's first official press conference. Jackson later agreed to schedule an official visit to Tuscaloosa.

Because Jackson told Florida of his commitment last week, it's possible that his visit to Auburn this past weekend was merely a courtesy.

"We didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings," said Kay Jackson, Chad's mother.

"We leave things up to him and it's been his decision. He's a level-headed guy."

Auburn

Auburn received commitments from a pair of defensive players Monday.

Cornerback Patrick Lee of Columbus High School in Miami, Fla., and defensive lineman Doug Langenfeld of Reedley (Calif.) Junior College both said they would sign with Auburn on Feb. 5.

Lee was the second Miami-area player to say he'll play for the Tigers in two days. Tight end Kenny Williams of Hialeah, Fla., committed Sunday.

The Tigers now have 15 commitments. Lloyd Blevins, a defensive end from Wenonah High School, is off the commitment list and is exploring other options.

Lee, who visited Auburn last weekend, said he chose the Tigers because cornerbacks Roderick Hood, Rashaud Walker and Horace Willis have graduated from last year's team.

The 6-foot, 183-pound Lee had 70 tackles, three interceptions and four blocked kicks last year. He won the Florida 6A state championship in the long jump last year.

Langenfeld, who is 6-3, 245, has two years of eligibility remaining. He had 72 tackles and 13? sacks last season. He said he chose Auburn over Tennessee, Nebraska and Oregon.

Langenfeld is originally from Monck's Corner, S.C. He was out of football for two years after high school before attending junior college in California....

[AAMU]

Russellville coach Perry Swindall says 5-10 defensive back Terrell Groce will commit to Alabama A&M today. Groce picked off six passes during the 2002 season.

News staff writers Charles Goldberg, Ryan Moloney and John Dawson contributed to this story.

[___________________________________________________

Groce is a 6A all-state player. He had offers from several major colleges, but chose AAMU.

Back