How I got an airline to pay for items in a delayed bag

Olde Hornet

VERY IMPORTANT READ!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...09/05/delayed-luggage-compensation/632631001/

The first thing I did upon realizing my bag wasn’t showing up anytime soon was to fill out a lost bag claim with the airline. Next, I alerted my credit card company that the bag was delayed. Since I had booked the trip with my Chase card I knew that it would cover me for up to $100 a day for five days if I needed to replace things, in the event that the airline denied my claim.

I’d never filed an airline complaint with the DOT, but at this point I was stark raving mad. Really, airline? Are you kidding me? Am I not entitled, in your opinion, to clean underwear? I know the rules! So I filed a complaint online, sent a copy to the airline, and the very next day I got what seemed to be a personal response from one Kimberly C. Hargett, aviation industry analyst, saying that I had a case. And later that afternoon, the airline that had previously denied all responsibility, emailed me to say the check was in the mail.

Three lessons here: First, airlines are required to replace essential items whether they are in lost bags or delayed bags. Second, complaining to the DOT works. Third, don’t take “no” for an answer.

Back