How free trials trick you into thinking you’ll get something for nothing

Olde Hornet

How free trials trick you into thinking you’ll get something for nothing​

Why we can’t resist the idea of something for nothing.

I have become embarrassingly susceptible to Instagram ads, and the other day, I got sucked into yet another one, this time for makeup. After filling out a questionnaire about my skin type and tone and care routine, I landed at the deal: a “try before you buy” offer for “woke up like this” foundation, shade No. 35.

The company said it would send me the nearly $50 product for free, except for $5 for shipping and handling. If I didn’t like it, I could return it within 14 days to avoid being charged. At checkout, it also offered an “auto-replenish” option for me to have a new bottle shipped every few months. The language made it seem like it would be easy enough to return the makeup or cancel the subscription when the time came.

However, over on the Better Business Bureau’s website, customer reviews and complaints told me that might not be the case. Dozens upon dozens of people detailed stories of the company making unauthorized charges to their credit cards, describing their struggles to make returns and cancellations.

That’s how they get you.

Back