How do you navigate: Google Maps or Waze?

Olde Hornet

It’s always been a wonder why Google has two fantastic navigation apps under one umbrella. What does Google get from people going to Waze? Shouldn’t they all just be at Google Maps?

New features to Google Maps make this question more relevant. Forbes suggests those features mean a "death knell" to Waze.

But please enjoy both while we have them. Google has two great navigation apps, but each has distinct differences, and both are 100% free. So why not mix and match?

However, Google comes with a cost: your personal privacy. More on that below.

How they're different
In a nutshell, Waze is bare-bones and just the facts. Use it to find the best route anywhere, usually through some crazy side streets you’ve never been on before, with little advertising clogging up your ride. Traffic results come from crowd-sourcing. Wazers are connected to the master Waze machine, which alerts the computer to where traffic is backed up.

I always use Google Maps... Waze seems to not be as updated sometimes. And it often freezes for me more. But Google freezes too. I honestly think its my phone that slows Google down. Google maps even works better on the CPU.

Google has integrated most of the features of Waze except the most important ones! The reporting of where the cops, accidents, etc are in real time.

I use waze most of the times since it usually picks up slow traffic and accidents occurring live. When I'm planning long trips, I usually will compare the routes on my computer and see what they show.

Back