How could the SWAC/MEAC & Tenn St force the promoters to pay...

Roar Man

...the "true" worth of the "CLASSICS"??

I say the commishoners of the MEAC/SWAC along with TnSU should get together and form a "union" similar to what the BCS schools has done.

THEY NEED A MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE THAT IS A LAWYER. THE SCHOOLS CAN'T EXPECT TO MAKE MORE THAN THE PROMOTER.
*THEY COULD SET A MINIMUM OF 200K + EXPENSES EACH.
*THEY NEED TO GET THE MONEY BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS.
*COME UP WITH A STANDARD CONTRACT THAT THEY WOULD PROVIDE TO ALL PROMOTERS.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Roar Man,

How could the SWAC/MEAC & Tenn St force the promoters to pay...
...the "true" worth of the "CLASSICS"??

I say the commishoners of the MEAC/SWAC along with TnSU should get together and form a "union" similar to what the BCS schools has done.

First we must find out, what is the true value and networth of a Classic event? Can anybody provide that type of information?

MACHIAVELLI,

Interesting Assessment!!

THEY NEED A MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE THAT IS A LAWYER.
I agree

THE SCHOOLS CAN'T EXPECT TO MAKE MORE THAN THE PROMOTER.
What are promoters making from a Classic event? I think the general public that post and voices their concern on this board may have different thought on how much promoters our receiving from Black College Classics.

*THEY COULD SET A MINIMUM OF 200K + EXPENSES EACH.
What information do you base this minimum guarantee on? Just curious

*THEY NEED TO GET THE MONEY BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS.
If this is the case, then would not the promoter ask for more guarantees on the institutions part as well?

*COME UP WITH A STANDARD CONTRACT THAT THEY WOULD PROVIDE TO ALL PROMOTERS.
Good Idea!

Out of curiousity.

What are most promoters making from HBCU Classic Games?

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)

*What information do you base this minimum guarantee on? Just curious

*If this is the case, then would not the promoter ask for more guarantees on the institutions part as well?

*THE FIGURE WOULD BE LEFT UP TO THE GROUP. BUT IF CAME UP WITH A MINIMUM THEY WOULD AT LEAST GET WHAT THEY THINK COLLECTIVELY IS FAIR. EVEN THOUGH SOME SCHOOLS GET DIFFERENT AMOUNTS FOR THE SAME CLASSIC.

*WHAT GUARANTEES COULD THE PROMOTER WANT? SCHOOLS GETTING THE MONEY IN AN A REASONABLE TIME HAS BEEN THE MOST OF THE PROBLEMS IN DEALING WITH PROMOTERS. PROMOTERS NOT MEETING PAYMENT DEAD LINES, PUTTING TEAMS IN SUBPAR LIVING CONDITIONS, MODE OF TRAVEL, TEAM MEALS ARE TOPS ON THE LIST OF CONCERNS FOR THE SCHOOLS.

MACHIAVELLI,

*THE FIGURE WOULD BE LEFT UP TO THE GROUP. BUT IF CAME UP WITH A MINIMUM THEY WOULD AT LEAST GET WHAT THEY THINK COLLECTIVELY IS FAIR. EVEN THOUGH SOME SCHOOLS GET DIFFERENT AMOUNTS FOR THE SAME CLASSIC.
I understand now. So, you where justing giving an example with the minimum number of $250,000. I was just curious if that was based on some background check on the cost of classics.

*WHAT GUARANTEES COULD THE PROMOTER WANT? SCHOOLS GETTING THE MONEY IN AN A REASONABLE TIME HAS BEEN THE MOST OF THE PROBLEMS IN DEALING WITH PROMOTERS. PROMOTERS NOT MEETING PAYMENT DEAD LINES, PUTTING TEAMS IN SUBPAR LIVING CONDITIONS, MODE OF TRAVEL, TEAM MEALS ARE TOPS ON THE LIST OF CONCERNS FOR THE SCHOOLS.
Minimum ticket sale guarantee from each of the participating institutions. Similar to what Bowl Games require.

Why cant the schools act as the the promoter & contract out the parts they need help with, like advertising. They would be able to keep more of the money. I in the B'ham area, people complain about bad promoters ripping of high schools and everybody esle with these battle of the bands shows, so just cut them out as much as possible. But, maybe the schools arent inclined to take that much risk.

If all of the confs worked together, they should do better than fighting with greedy promoters on their own. Especially the small schools.

Quote: If all of the confs worked together, they should do better than fighting with greedy promoters on their own. Especially the small schools.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly,

Hence the reason for the "union".

Originally posted by normalite9tre
Why cant the schools act as the the promoter & contract out the parts they need help with, like advertising. They would be able to keep more of the money. I in the B'ham area, people complain about bad promoters ripping of high schools and everybody esle with these battle of the bands shows, so just cut them out as much as possible. But, maybe the schools arent inclined to take that much risk.

If all of the confs worked together, they should do better than fighting with greedy promoters on their own. Especially the small schools.

THE REASON YOU NEED A THIRD PARTY IS BECAUSE SCHOOLS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FAIRNESS. YOU NEED SOMEONE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH EITHER SCHOOL. I WOULDN'T SAY THAT PROMOTERS ARE GREEDY. THEY ARE IN BUSINESS. THEY ASSUME MOST OF THE RISK. I KNOW PEOPLE LOVE TO BERATE THEM BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE A SCHOOL GO OUT AND PUT UP $500K AND RENT THESE FACILITIES, COURT BIG CORPORATE SPONSORS. THE PRESIDENTS/AD NEED TO KNOW WHAT OPTIONS THEY HAVE. AN ACROSS THE BOARD CONTRACT WOULD HELP.

*I was just curious if that was based on some background check on the cost of classics.

*Minimum ticket sale guarantee from each of the participating institutions. Similar to what Bowl Games require.

*IT IS :shh:
*I don't see that as being a major problem.

Thanks!!

Am I correct to assuming that your research suggest that many HBCU programs are probably leaving between 100-150K on the table? Of course this is with the belief that the promoters still could make a sizeable profit to operate the classic and view it as a risk worth the reward.

*I don't see that as being a major problem.

Well, we are on the same page then.

Again you made some excellent points

Thanks!!

Am I correct to assuming that your research suggest that many HBCU programs are probably leaving between 100-150K on the table? Of course this is with the belief that the promoters still could make a sizeable profit to operate the classic and view it as a risk worth the reward.

THIS IS NOT ABSOLUTE. I THINK THE PRICE SHOULD VARY FROM SCHOOL TO SCHOOL. I DON'T THINK THAT ALL HBCU SHOULD GET THE SAME PRICE FOR PARTICIPATION IN CLASSICS. SOME SCHOOLS HAVE BIG NAMES. SOMETIMES PROMOTERS WILL BRING IN A SCHOOL WITH MASS APPEAL AND PLACE THEM WITH A SCHOOL WITH LESS APPEAL. MAYBE NOT MY DESIGN. ONE SCHOOL MAY GET 150K WHILE THE OTHER SCHOOL MAY GET 100K. MOST PROMOTERS WHO START THESE CLASSIC ARE LOOKING FOR THE BIGGEST NAMES TO START OFF THE CLASSICS. THE FIRST GAME IS IMPORTANT TO GET THE BALL ROLLING. THEN YOU SEE THEM GO AFTER OTHER NAMES NAMES. TAKE FOR INSTANCE THE GAME IN VEGAS. THEY INVITED GRAMBLING AND TENN. ST., THEY WANTED GRAMBLING AND FAMU FOR 2003 BUT IT DIDN'T WORK OUT SO NOW THEY HAVE SU AND NCA&T. I'M PRETTY SURE THE PROMOTERS WILL DROP THE PRICE OF THE TICKETS TO A REASONABLE RATE AND GET A BIGGER CROWD BECAUSE THE PEOPLE REMEMBER THE FIRST GAME. EVEN THOUGH THE GAME WAS A BLOW OUT, THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS/GREEKSHOW WAS A SUCCESS. I'M SURE IN 2004 THEY WILL GO AFTER GSU & FAMU AGAIN AND PROBABLY JACKSON,HOWARD,HAMPTON.

WITH THE RATE THE CLASSICS ARE POPPING UP ACROSS THE COUNTRY A FIRM NEEDS TO STEP UP AND GET IN ON THIS BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES.

MORE LATER..I CAN TALK ABOUT THIS ALL DAY.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

THE REASON YOU NEED A THIRD PARTY IS BECAUSE SCHOOLS WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FAIRNESS. YOU NEED SOMEONE NOT ASSOCIATED WITH EITHER SCHOOL. I WOULDN'T SAY THAT PROMOTERS ARE GREEDY. THEY ARE IN BUSINESS. THEY ASSUME MOST OF THE RISK. I KNOW PEOPLE LOVE TO BERATE THEM BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE A SCHOOL GO OUT AND PUT UP $500K AND RENT THESE FACILITIES, COURT BIG CORPORATE SPONSORS. THE PRESIDENTS/AD NEED TO KNOW WHAT OPTIONS THEY HAVE. AN ACROSS THE BOARD CONTRACT WOULD HELP.

The SWAC & MEAC conf offices should be taking the lead in these matters. Just like the HB & PB should be ran by the conf offices. But, they dont seem care. For the most part, I feel like most of these confs staffers are being paid for nothing. The SWAC cant even run its own Championship game, the Alabama Sports Foundation does that. If the 100BM of ATL can run a Classic, surely people being paid full time money for a full time job can promote football games.

Originally posted by normalite9tre

The SWAC & MEAC conf offices should be taking the lead in these matters.

I DON'T THINK THE SWAC OFFICE SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN THE DEALING WITH THE SCHOOLS CONFERENCE OR NON-CONFERENCE CLASSIC CONTRACTS AND NEOGATIONS.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

I DON'T THINK THE SWAC OFFICE SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN THE DEALING WITH THE SCHOOLS CONFERENCE OR NON-CONFERENCE CLASSIC CONTRACTS AND NEOGATIONS.

But wouldnt that save money like so many of the schools are concerned about? And what about just using a lawyer who specializes in this type of thing for a set fee? Bottom line is alot of these promoters will come and go, but the confs should be there to do the deal. Maybe the confs have already proved that the cant do everything they are supposed to, but no HB & PB says we've got to be more about doing these things ourselves.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back