Holy Spirit Empowerment & Encouragement: October 2016

96lioness

QUEEN LIONESS!!!
On last Sunday, my pastor brought his sermon from the familiar Scriptural passages of Matthew 14 (v. 22-30). It recounts how Jesus walked out on the sea toward His disciples. While this miracle (recorded by 3 of the Gospel writers) serves to remind many the importance of keeping your eyes on the Master, there were 2 Scriptures from the sermon text that weighed heavy on my mind:

"And straightway, Jesus constrained His disciples to get into a ship, and to go before Him unto the other side, while He sent the multitudes away" (v.22)

"But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves, for the wind was contrary" (v.24)

During this entire month, I wracked my brain on how I'd present the October E&E. I stayed in prayer to God on what to post. It wasn't until a week ago I was given my answer. Even still, it took me more time on how to then word it. I pray you all still have strength in Christ, because we're about to climb Mt. Zion and see how these particular Scriptures relate to David and the anointing God placed on his life.

Enjoy!:)

In Matthew 14, we find that Jesus gave His disciples the simple command to get on a ship and cross the Sea of Galilee to Gennesaret. His disciples, being obedient and faithful, did as the Master told them (v.22), but they soon found themselves in the middle of a bad situation (v.24). These same disciples, loyal and committed to Jesus, chosen by Him to be His followers, found themselves in a frightening situation simply by being obedient.

At a very early age (even before he was in his teens), David was chosen by God to become king of Israel. God desired someone after His very own heart, thus David was anointed and the Spirit of God rested upon him during his entire life. While David was selected as king, he had to wait 15-20 years before he ruled. And during that wait time, David had many Spiritual and physical attacks against him. The anointing placed upon him by God was the very thing that triggered many of those attacks on David. In his obedience in going where God told him to go, David found himself facing men who wanted to kill him. Yet, while running from those seeking to kill him, David continued to believe in God. While surrounded by the enemies of God, David continued to trust Him. While leading thousands into battle, David continued to bless the Lord. And even while suffering from attacks upon him by his own hand, David pleaded to God to clean his heart and renew a right Spirit in him.

Many of us (Christians/Believers) can attest that life seemed to hit us hardest when we accepted Jesus as our Savior. For those of us who work in ministry or are ministry leaders, it is during Kingdom-building or while doing what God calls specifically for us, we find ourselves under Spiritual attack, flaming arrows of deceit, lies, and wickedness flying at us from all directions. It is in our continued growth in Christ and personal relationship with God that we discover that these attacks have nothing to do with who we are, but rather, Who we belong to. We also discover the attacks are because of the anointing God has placed upon our lives.

While the anointing on your life may come with the heavy price, it also comes with rewards beyond what we could ever imagine! David was anointed 3 times as king. He successfully captured the fortress of Zion. When he brought the Ark of God to Jerusalem, David praised and worshipped God with much passion (II Samuel 6). God was so pleased with David that He made a promise that his family, kingdom, and throne would endure forever! So, as you climb your Mt. Zion, get ready. God will be there at the top, waiting to bestow His anointing on you. And who knows? Like David, God may just surprise you and give you a blessing that extends beyond your lifetime.

"DOING GOD AND DOING HIM RIGHT WILL ALWAYS BRING YOU UNDER FIRE WITH THOSE WHO CLAIM TO KNOW HIM AND THOSE WHO ARE MAD BECAUSE YOU DO KNOW HIM!!!"

Reference(s):

Damon Williams, writer, “The Ultimate Climb: Hiking Up to Meet God”. Vacation Bible School (Adult)
II Samuel 5, 6, 7
Matthew 14: 22-30
Sermon: "What Do You Do When You Find Yourself Stuck in a Storm?" (W.L. Robinson, pastor)

Back