Holding parents accountable

MACKG

a.k.a. NASTYNUPE
I stole this question from blackplanet:

Is it the fault of the mother or of unenforced child protection laws that resulted in the starvation (and one death) of the kids in New Jersey?

I'm not up to date on this story. Of course its the mother's fault for not taking care of her kids. I don't know if the child protection agencies were aware of the neglect so I can't fault them w/o knowing that piece of information. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who was around those children share part of the blame. If you see some type of neglect or abuse going on you need to report it. People are always so worried about getting into other folk's business when it comes to the wrong things. If someone stepped forward then a needless death wouldn't have happened.

theres enough blame to go around

Sure its mamas fault. But the extended family is just as much to blame as mama. I surely blame them before the child welfare people. Most of the time aunts, uncles, cousins, & even mamas friends saw some type of abuse happening a long time ago and said nothing. These are the people, that prior to child protection agencies and social programs would have to stop this type of crap to begin with. Now its all about me & I didnt know all that was going on over there. Thats the type attitude that prevails now. Its sad.

EVERY FAMILY MEMBER should have been on her arse!

It seems like we lose more and more of our blackness everyday.:smh:

Originally posted by Attack Dog
EVERY FAMILY MEMBER should have been on her arse!

It seems like we lose more and more of our blackness everyday.:smh:

It's not "blackness"; rather, it's HUMANITY.

We, as parents, are responsible for the health and well-being of our children alone. Government intervention to assist this responsibility should, and again, I say shoud be unwanted and not needed. Shame on the whole family!

The only thing breaking down the family today is us. We know the traps the government has provided to assist this unraveling and we still walk into them. At the core of the problem is a you and a me.

Someone catch me up to this story. I'm not one to jump to brame with steel trap prowess.

Originally posted by chocalate_topaz
We, as parents, are responsible for the health and well-being of our children alone.

That's scary. There are millions of moms and millions of dads that are about as qualified to be a parent as my unborn child. My question is how can we hold someone responsible for a child when they can't even be responsible for themselves? Not disagreeing with anyone, just thinking to myself and smh.

Originally posted by GramFan

That's scary. There are millions of moms and millions of dads that are about as qualified to be a parent as my unborn child. My question is how can we hold someone responsible for a child when they can't even be responsible for themselves? Not disagreeing with anyone, just thinking to myself and smh.

You have to pass at least three different tests to drive a car, but anyone can become a "parent".

So true. Having a child is no big deal anymore. Jr. high and high school students proudly walk the halls and wobble in class, while the guys get much respect.:cry:

Now they say the dancer's 16 year old son may be responsible for the childs death by blunt force to the abdomen.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/0113/horrorhouse_ap.html

Ultimately, I beleive responsibilities for children should flow like this...parents, immediate family, then other lawful (DCFS, and other agencies) means. I also think that if the whole family is involved in raising your children, there is less possibility that if something should happen to the parents that the child will end up with the bad end of the stick.

Unfortunately in this case, it seems the mom trusted this person to care for her children while she did her state paid vacation. Perhaps she didn't have the means to have anyone else care for them...nor the ability to get someone to check on them for her. In any event, I would never leave it up to an agency to think about the best welfare of a child. They have way tooo much to care about on a day-to-day basis, and they aren't paid enough to give a damn.

Self Worth Starts At Home

The scary thing about this story is that there are probally situations much worse than this one, it just has not made the news.

The thing you have got wonder about is that people who are in this situation have lost their self worth.

When a person has no pride, they are ego castrated.
When their ego is absent, then they are absent of ambition.

Self worth starts at home. If you have people constantly telling you are nothing and you believe it, then your drive for dignity is dormant.

Other people around you should not determine your status and self worth, which is the trap that some teenagers fall into when they reach adolescense.

This is a sad story, and it's happening all across America. And the frightening common denominator of all the stories like this involves where people have no self worth.

Yeah it is her fault. However, anyone person with eyes and ears who were near them and never raised a finger to help or get help, should share in the blame...Ultimately, she should pay though.

Back