Hey Tara (or any other Web Professionals)

crazylegs

Da' Franchise...
Hey Y'all,

I'm currently doing the IT/Network Admin. thing in DC, but I'm looking into stengthening my Web Development skillset for a possible jump to that specialty, particularly in the areas of Multimedia Design.

I would like to know ohw some of you guys went about learning some of the Flash and Photoshop stuff that comes along with that area of work...I'm pretty well versed in straight coding, but it's something that I've had to learn over the right wat from scratch.

I'm also in the process of putting together a small buisness involving web development and hosting. Any i deas or suggestions to help this endeavor get off the ground???

crazylegs said:
Hey Y'all,

I'm currently doing the IT/Network Admin. thing in DC, but I'm looking into stengthening my Web Development skillset for a possible jump to that specialty, particularly in the areas of Multimedia Design.

I would like to know ohw some of you guys went about learning some of the Flash and Photoshop stuff that comes along with that area of work...I'm pretty well versed in straight coding, but it's something that I've had to learn over the right wat from scratch.

I'm also in the process of putting together a small buisness involving web development and hosting. Any i deas or suggestions to help this endeavor get off the ground???

You sound like me. I pretty much taught my self web development, even though I constantly teach a Front Page Class at my job. Photoshop is something I am teaching myself now to know more about it, it may become one of my class here soon. It depends on what you want to do, but some areas are a little difficult for me.

I am trying to start my own business also, creating databases for non-profit orgs. I created a website for my brother-in-law and when it gets posted I will let all of you see it.

It would be good if we had technology forum for all of us to put our skills together to help each othe out.

Good Luck

crazylegs said:
Hey Y'all,

Without knowing your current skills I would suggest these sites for the coding side of web development.

W3 Schools - a very good reference site but kinda difficult to learn from scratch IMO

Webmonkey- will get you from beginner to advanced pretty quick

On the design side

Flashkit- I have yet to find a book or site that goes beyond the basic "this is how you use flash" and shows some of the advanced techniques or how to come up with your own. This site will give you plenty of ideas and some sample code and tutorials to some of the more advanced techniques. But it won't help you from scratch.

I have a couple of books that are really good for learning about graphics optimization, layout, and even how to handle customers when designing...but they are at home and I can't remeber the names so I will post them later....hope this helps a little :swink:

Man Tell me about it...

I've been toying with design for a couple of years now (self-taught). the only thing is that there are some things that I have to go back and learn over the right way...

I'm in the process of finishing up a site for my mom's floral buisness and I'm dying to learn of ways to make the design process more efficient... there's alot of trial and error when I actually sit down and tinker with putting some stuff together.

The actual coding aspect of it I'm pretty solid on. It's the graphical and multimedia stuff that's kicking me in my behind right now...I'm seriously looking into taking a second degree path focused soley on that aspect of IT in addition to my other Degree work and Certification stuff. I know right now I'm looking at taking a Photoshop course, as well as a Flash course where I'm going to school...

I wish you the best on the buisness...that's definitely where the cash is at, especially here in the D.C. area... :tup:

crazylegs said:
Man Tell me about it...

The actual coding aspect of it I'm pretty solid on. It's the graphical and multimedia stuff that's kicking me in my behind right now

I had/have the same problem. The thing is....most of the photoshop or fireworks classes and books will teach you to use the software but the creativity is still all up to you. I have become proficient with graphics software and can reproduce just about anything I see but my creativity lacks at times. I try to surf aimlessly across the web and pick up various design styles and techniques. The funny thing is....my best stuff normaly happens by accident lol.

Unlike web programming, graphic design tools like Photoshop has always seem like overkill with me. Maybe, I just need to be in an environment where I need to work with it all the time. Yes, they required an amount of creativity versus programming is pretty straight forward.

Man,

I just know that I have to get stronger in that aspect of design in order to put out a viable product for folks that may want to do buisness... I think a Tech or a Web Design Forum would be a great idea.

Blaque, What are some materials that helped you out with fundementals????

Back