HBO Special: Something The Lord Made

SAME OLD G

A product of Greatness
Staff member
Did anyone see this on HBO this past weekend?

I really enjoyed the movie. I didn't know MosDef had it in him!

The movie was great and Mos Def and Gabrielle were great in it.These are the kinds of movies that I enjoy watching.And we need to insist that Hollywood do more of these type movies instead of movies like Soul Plane.

Good movie. Had me snottin for a minute at the end. Only thing I couldn't grasp was them trying to talk/sound "Southern." Just didn't sound right. :smh:

I finally saw this movie tonight. I give HBO mad props on this one because I never knew anything about this story.

I shed more than a few tears. Just knowing that a brotha-man was that smart, but never had the opportunity to become a doctor had to be painful. And to have his portrait placed in the very same hall that he wasn't allowed to enter had to be moving. I hate he's not alive to see this movie. More than anything else I hate the I didn't know anything about him until now. Sad. What took so long to make a movie about this man????

Mos Def was so good! I read that he deliberately used three different 'voices' to show the development of his character. He said that Vivien was a very ecentric, but a highly intelligent man and he wanted to try to show his many layers. Mos Def should definitely get some nominations for this role. The guy who played Dr. Blaylock is actually from England, which would explain why his voice didn't sound exactly Southern.

It is refreshing to see that Mos is not just another rapper taking acting for granted. He's really talented and serious about his craft. I'd put him up there with Will Smith and Queen Latifah.......and maybe Ice Cube. Mos should take home at least a Cable Ace Award for this joint. :nod:

:tup: Props to HBO on this one. They continue to impress me with films like Miss Evers' Boys, A Lesson Before Dying, Boycott and now this.

Butch Wms. said:
The movie was great
These are the kinds of movies that I enjoy watching.And we need to insist that Hollywood do more of these type movies instead of movies like Soul Plane.

Yep......I caught it this morning and was very entertained by it. It is one of those movies you wish they did make more of, you know there are plenty of stories like this in our history.

I taped it! It's an outstanding movie. HBO always pushes the envelope when it comes to cutting edge movies. Just think, if America at that time was completely Aparthied like South Africa was during that time frame, Dr. Vivian Thomas would have never had the opportunity and the world would not have cardiac surgery! This movie captured something special in history: The woman doctor who brought the idea to Dr. Blaylock and Dr.Thomas;and Dr.Thomas,an African American who invented the technique,both helped changed the world during a time where women and Blacks were thought of as second class citizens.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mcbrown/display/thomas.html

Vivien Theodore Thomas was born on August 29, 1910 in Lake Providence, Louisiana. After graduating from Pearl High School in Nashville, Tennessee in 1929, Thomas was planning to use his carpentry skills, learned from his father William Maceo Thomas (a carpenter and contractor), to work his way through Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School. Vivien Thomas planned to prepare at Tennessee A&I Normal to enter medical school and a career as a physician. The financial disaster in the fall of 1929 (The Great Crash of 1929) ended his plans. IN 1930, Vivien accepted a full-time position as a laboratory assistant at Vanderbilt University Medical School.

I really enjoyed this movie. It was touching and Mos Def was great!
He has been acting for a looooong time. Some of you may remember
him from The Cosby Mysteries series. Don't get it twisted he's far
from any "rapper/actor" his acting credentials make him a "MC, Actor".
BIG DIFFERENCE!

;)

Check out his credits:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/

~Astrya

Back