HBCU vs. PWI: Home and home series attendance numbers

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
Can any of you list the games where your school played a home and home (football) series against a PWI? What years were those games played?

I know GSU played Northwestern St., PV played Sam Houston State and Alabama A&M did home and home with North Alabama. Anyone else?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think NDSU was the last PWI (that counted (Faith ended up not counting)) that we played in Itta Bena (58-7 loss in 2007). We played them in Fargo the previous year

(I hate looking bad at schedules during that time and see how we were able to get Lincoln, Texas College, SSU, SCSU, etc to come to Itta Bena compared to incomptence now)

PV vs Sam Houston. 2017 in PV (8465) and Huntsville (9571) in 2018. Even in torrential downpours PV brought more fans than what they brought to us. It ended up being their second biggest home game that year, 500 or so less than their homecoming but almost double the attendance of their home game against north Dakota and more than the game against a nationally ranked central Arkansas. I think PV vs SHSU in Huntsville would've been a sellout without the storms. I almost stayed in Dallas but I'm glad I drove down. It was an entertaining game. Easily winnable.

PV vs Rice wasn't a home and home but PV was deeper at Rice Stadium the last game we played. Winnable. But like the shsu game, special teams were/are a joke

We played home and home series with Jacksonville St under Ron Cooper and Anthony Jones. We played a home and home series with UNA under Maynor. UNA fans came to Huntsville. Jacksonville St fans are rednecks. They think Huntsville is like Chicago. 😂

Can any of you list the games where your school played a home and home (football) series against a PWI? What years were those games played?

I know GSU played Northwestern St., PV played Sam Houston State and Alabama A&M did home and home with North Alabama. Anyone else?

1623298821406.png

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Didn’t you all play Home and Home with Kennesaw State as well recently?
We had a 4 year deal with Kennesaw covering 2016-2020. We played 3 games and didn’t play in 2020. They did not bring a crowd to the two games in Montgomery and it appeared we had more fan at the Atlanta game than the home team against the school with an enrollment of over 30k students.

We had a 4 year deal with Kennesaw covering 2016-2020. We played 3 games and didn’t play in 2020. They did not bring a crowd to the two games in Montgomery and it appeared we had more fan at the Atlanta game than the home team against the school with an enrollment of over 30k students.

KSU is a commuter school. That 30k are real on campus students. Kinda like a Liberty University. They never have fans at their games

A&T home and home

1987-1988 Western Carolina
1992-1995 Appalachian State
1999-2005 (6 years) ; 2013-2015, 2019 Elon ( 4 year deal , 2016 game was moved due to ESPN played in 2019)
2008-2009 ; 2011-2012 Costal Carolina
2017-2018 Gardner-Webb

Somewhat related and was not sure where to post it.

Lamar is hosting Prairie View A&M in '22. Does not seem to have a return game based on the article, so Cards are 'buying' PVAMU for the contest.

Back