HBCU Football Camp

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

GRAMBLING – Report day team meetings generally consist of the head coach and his staff relaying the upcoming season’s mission to the players, laying the ground rules on position meetings, accountability, as well as collective and individual expectations.

Grambling State’s first team gathering Wednesday, the day prior to kicking off fall camp Thursday night, contained all the usual contents, but this year, there was an uplifting caveat. And a standing ovation.

Darrell “D.J.” Clark walked through the meeting room door and his teammates erupted.

“It was really good,” GSU head football coach Broderick Fobbs said. “The thing that really hit home for me was the first meeting. To see him sitting in his spot in his chair, seeing him paying attention, the look on his face. Just to have him back, the kids gave him a standing ovation.

“We’re glad to have him back, we’re sad to see his family member pass on, but we were able to get D.J. back with us. He’s in the right head space and understands the importance of doing things the right way.”

Clark’s arrival for Grambling’s first team meeting of the preseason marked the first time the majority of his teammates had seen him since June 19, when the redshirt senior wide receiver was shot multiple times, one wound in the chest, and his younger brother, Keyon who was 19, was killed in a triple shooting outside the Frank Lemon playground gymnasium in the metro New Orleans area. A little over a month since the tragic incident that saw him rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, Clark returned to campus and was on the sideline at Eddie G. Robinson Memorial Stadium for his team’s first fall practice Thursday night.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Really think y'all are gonna lean on the defense until the QB stuff sorts itself out and the new pieces on offense gel. The quirk of the JSU-Southern game being two weeks before classic might just lend this season to be one of the more exciting down the stretch

Yea we are definitely gonna have to which is why I'm glad we play teams with good offenses later down the stretch.

Yep just like last year.

I think Southern and Alcorn right now are the "known quantities." There fewer questions about them than the rest of the conference. I think this year you'll have a division winner with 2 losses. I think it's a little more wide-open than at first glance (and that's going to make this year more exciting to watch than last year).

I think Southern and Alcorn right now are the "known quantities." There fewer questions about them than the rest of the conference. I think this year you'll have a division winner with 2 losses. I think it's a little more wide-open than at first glance (and that's going to make this year more exciting to watch than last year).

Agreed, both of you will be the front runners even though both of you have a different coordinator on offense and/or defense. I see potentially 6 teams battling it out when it's all said and done. Definitely looking forward to see how the guys we brought in gel with what we are returning. Finally fielding a senior/junior led team.

Agreed, both of you will be the front runners even though both of you have a different coordinator on offense and/or defense. I see potentially 6 teams battling it out when it's all said and done. Definitely looking forward to see how the guys we brought in gel with what we are returning. Finally fielding a senior/junior led team.

You all are still cursed. Look for a 3rd place finish in the SWAC East (giving you the benefit of the doubt above a traditional losing program in Alabama State)

Back