HBCU administrator's death by suicide prompts calls for president's resignation

Olde Hornet

Calls for the resignation of Lincoln University of Missouri President John Moseley are growing following the death of Antoinette "Bonnie" Candia-Bailey, a university alum and vice president of student affairs who died by suicide on Jan. 8.

Candia-Bailey began working at Lincoln University, a historically Black university in Jefferson City, Missouri, in May 2023. She received a termination letter on Jan. 3. The letter stated that she was terminated for cause, including allegations of insubordination in allowing an ineligible student to work, allowing ineligible students to obtain a discounted housing rate and failing to adhere to confidentiality requirements in a grievance matter filed by two of her subordinates.

In a letter dated Jan. 8 addressed to Moseley and obtained by ABC News, Candia-Bailey said she experienced months of harassment, bullying and differential treatment from her white colleagues while working under Moseley and his administrative leadership.

In her letter to Moseley, Candia-Bailey recalled an apparent meeting between the two: “I couldn't even finish the meeting because you didn't hear me. I left in tears. You intentionally harassed and bullied me and got satisfaction from sitting back to determine how you would ensure I failed as an employee and proud alumna."

Back