Has the # of available academic scholarships faded over time?

Lenard

Cost of education increases? Availability and pool of qualified candidates dwindled? Corporations find it easier to fund those abroad vs american citizens and then hire those abroad who potentially do better/quality work rather than the americans?

I've arbitrarily looked @ this over the last 30+ years and it's semi-mind-boggling. There was a time when certain corps would hound HSs looking for (academic) talent and then offer them employment upon their completion on their dime. Today? :( What happened? What changed? smh

Owner's of corporations realized that they could hire someone from another country, bring them to the U.S. for an education then send them back to their country and pay them peanuts on the dollar.

Owner's of corporations realized that they could hire someone from another country, bring them to the U.S. for an education then send them back to their country and pay them peanuts on the dollar.

I noted that quite a few funded school systems abroad (speaking India specifically) that fostered and grew their technological interests so that upon graduation there, they'd H1B them here and not miss a beat. I was - past tense - on a board that awarded academic full-rides in the name of "the corps." It's, the fund, dwindled DRASTICALLY over the last 2 decades. The targets (recipients) also changed (the native borns - again, of Indian descent) but the substantiation was that they were the top-performers, the few of them. At one point, I felt like I was doing the bidding of the devil by participating in that committee and seeing how it evolved over the last 2 decades - hence my departure a few recent years ago.

Back