Has Society Become Numb with Chicago Violence?

The Founder

Just curious....there is an article on CNN's website about two young girls shot in the head while outside playing.

Just curious....there is an article on CNN's website about two young girls shot in the head while outside playing.

Nobody outside of the city cares (though many would conclude political leaders inside the city don't care either) about violence that happens within the city unless they want to score political points.

I would urge folks to follow the homie Evan F. Moore on Twitter. He's a well-respect black Chicago journalist whose done great work on this topic that no one else in the national press or even local press does.

Nobody outside of the city cares (though many would conclude political leaders inside the city don't care either) about violence that happens within the city unless they want to score political points.

I would urge folks to follow the homie Evan F. Moore on Twitter. He's a well-respect black Chicago journalist whose done great work on this topic that no one else in the national press or even local press does.

Thanks....I saw the article on CNN and was like....again. I mean these people are just doing drive bys and giving a shit.

The answer is yes, but the reason is the constant reporting of violence, specifically shootings in Chicago,
It seems as though the media forgets that there are other cities with issues just as bad as Chicago and some may even be worse. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be reported on, but Chicago seems to get sensationalized.
I think that there are some people sitting at a computer desk monitoring websites, social media, and police scanners for anything happening in Chicago.

The answer is yes, but the reason is the constant reporting of violence, specifically shootings in Chicago,
It seems as though the media forgets that there are other cities with issues just as bad as Chicago and some may even be worse. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be reported on, but Chicago seems to get sensationalized.
I think that there are some people sitting at a computer desk monitoring websites, social media, and police scanners for anything happening in Chicago.

Exactly you have other places that are worse.

Asking whether society has become numb to violence is a question that seems to conclude that society once had some level of concern that doesn't exist today. I'd say nothing really has changed aside from us being more aware of the carnage around us through social media and the press.

I mean, violent crime in the US is at it's lowest point in several decades, according to crime stats. Yet, that hasn't stopped the current president from saying we live in this constant dystopia.

I think the media is overly reporting Chicago because of the Former President Obama.

I wouldn't go that far. Chicago violence has captured national interest since the days of Al Capone to the large amount of killings in the 80s and 90s that led CBS News do a special report on the city's gang problem.

Last edited:
Birmingham AL! Since January Birmingham has 25 murders. The city only is about 1 million including the metropolitan area. This is a problem for a city that size.
Let's revisit this chart.
Five-Year-Murder-Rates-1024x0-c-default.png

Chicago violence has become nothing more than a political talking point. Out of all the cities listed above, correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the only city with a gun ban. That's why you see so many feeble-minded right-wingers spewing off about Chicago and only Chicago. They wouldn't dare mention New Orleans. They wouldn't dare mention the fact that it is still easy to bring guns into Chicago. They probably don't know that Chicago has a direct pipeline into small towns in MS, AL and TN to get weapons. It's all political grandstanding.

Let's revisit this chart.
Five-Year-Murder-Rates-1024x0-c-default.png

I still don't get why people people this knowing that it's based solely on the size of the city. Who cares? There is currently no city in the US with more murders than Chicago so miss me with that "it's not so bad because it's a big city" nonsense. Especially when you're counting portions of the city in that that don't even have to deal with crime. Take this map, and cut out the north side of Chicago and focus solely on the southside...and then show what this chart looks like.

Also i'm pretty sure that all of the people on the south side that are being held hostage by reckless dudes shooting at kids couldn't care less about how much worse Miami is because they have fewer people.

Chicago violence has become nothing more than a political talking point. Out of all the cities listed above, correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the only city with a gun ban. That's why you see so many feeble-minded right-wingers spewing off about Chicago and only Chicago. They wouldn't dare mention New Orleans. They wouldn't dare mention the fact that it is still easy to bring guns into Chicago. They probably don't know that Chicago has a direct pipeline into small towns in MS, AL and TN to get weapons. It's all political grandstanding.

Actually, Chicago does not have a gun ban. It is more difficult to get a gun there than your typical southern city, yes. And please stop with the "it's politics", "it's the man" stuff. It gets talked about because you have dudes, as in just the last 2 days, walking around killing kids. And because there are people on the south side that don't even feel safe leaving their own homes. Hell, don't you have black people in that area out protesting themselves? How the hell is that just political? Pretty sure having 700+ murders last year has a lot more to do with that...especially when the city has what, 2 million people? You understand that that is more murders than New York City and LA had COMBINED last year right? 2 million people vs 12 million people with more murders? Yea, nah.

I wouldn't go that far. Chicago violence has captured national interest since the days of Al Capone to the large amount of killings in the 80s and 90s that led CBS News do a special report on the city's gang problem.

Very true...I'm not sure of your age Kendrick but do you or you aware of how the media portrayed Los Angeles during the days of crips and bloods?

Also from your point of view do you think social media and assesible news plays a role in it?

Chicago is a mix of problems. Yes it does start at racisim. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in America. Yes black self hatred is part of it. Ignorance is part of it. Poverty is the major part of it. There are no jobs in the city that pay well. In order to get there it takes the average person catching the bus hours if the bus even goes there. Add in poor leadership. The mobs and corruption and you have a systematic problem

What major city in the US isn't segregated? What annoys me about it is this is the city where most of my family is from. And on one side, the dudes with the recklessness couldn't care less about a job... Some of my cousins included. Many of us have been trying to get them to move down here for years but that easy money is just too appealing vs a regular job. Hell my grandmother and two oldest aunts lived in Cabrini green before they got tired of dealing with the nonsense. Our family reunion is there every other year. The problem is the desire to get fast money and gangs. Bottom line.

Actually, Chicago does not have a gun ban. It is more difficult to get a gun there than your typical southern city, yes. And please stop with the "it's politics", "it's the man" stuff. .
1.) I didn't say anything about "the man"
2.) You need to re-read what I stated.

Back