Has anyone ever built their own computer?

Yupper, all the ones i've owned I've built... thats pretty wild now that I think of it.... Well with the expection of like a old Tandy PC when i was like 9 or 10, i think? :teleport: but anywho!

Well have you already decided on the hardware you want?
Have you already purchased it?

If so, what you got?
If not, I would recommend getting a "barebone" package to start off with...
Reason why, the barebone kits (Motherboard, Processor, Memory, and maybe HDD) would alreayd have the compatiable components already matched together. Other words, if you don't want to pick piece by piece and match SURE that the Motherboard supports the Processor and Memory, then purchase the Barebone set that has the speed and scalability that you are looking for...

Where do you find that? http://www.tigerdirect.com
More directly here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31

Thats where I look first to grap my parts --- because they haven't failed me with delivery, warranty and accurancy of the items I've ordered.

Plus the prices are right.... and you have a payment plan type option if that is something that you may need... so... thats it.

But let us know where you are in your decision making...

Tara said:
WOW! That's a GREAT site! I purchased a book about building your own computer and I think I understand the concepts pretty well, but like you said, I don't want to buy anything that is not compatible. I will DEFINITELY let you know how this venture goes and if I have any problems, I know who to turn to. :swink:

I built my current computer from parts I bought on www.pcclub.com. It took maybe 30 minutes.

MONITORS ...

I've heard good things about Acer and ViewSonic flat panel monitors. What do y'all think?

Re: MONITORS ...

Tara said:
I've heard good things about Acer and ViewSonic flat panel monitors. What do y'all think?

I have not heard much about Acer. ViewSonic is a standard brand however.

PC Club looks pretty good too man...
I guess my concern is personally and when recommending a site, how is the customer service? Can you actually reach a live person when you have questions or if you have a faulty product?

I've only encountered that once, but it was because I ordered the wrong item, but nevertheless tigerdirect took it back with no problems... so... thats my biggest thing. Price is straight, cool, but what if I need to choke someone, can I reach out to you without jumping through loops?!!!

But anywho... I'm gonna save that site anyway, ya never know!
It was one more that I use and that was http://newegg.com.
Now they have the same quality customer service, plus the prices are excellent! I've ordered some DVD/RW drives from them for cheap.

Save that site as well Tara...

Also if your really gonna be working on your PC, request a free catalog from Tigerdirect, it comes every month, i think, thats the other perk I like about them... a tangible catalog with some visuals!

Oh yeah, that PC you picked, thats the truth!!! :nod:
That AMD 64bit chip ain't no punk!
Plus you have a Gig of RAM... extra nice!

Good choice in my opinion....
Although my personal preference is the cases w/o the closed in CD/DVD drives mainly because I use my DVD/RW and DVD-ROM drive to burn so much, that I don't care to have a door to open each time I go to the drive.... thats me though. :winkgrin:

Also that Viewsonic is a nice brand, I coincendently ordered mine from Tigerdirect! :tup:

Acer... i don't care for... haven't heard any positive or really negative about their monitors. Acer is a older company that really started in the PC game, but seems like they are making monitors too I see... didn't care for the PCs much, so I "personally" wouldn't cop a monitor from them... thats me though. ;)

Before you order parts make sure to check out Fry's on 45 of any one of the Best PC locations in Houston. Tigerdirect is a great site but sometimes Fry's and Best PC will beat them out depending on sales. I know Fry's often has many motherboard/processor combos for a good price.

Also check www.mwave.com. I build all my PC's and normaly get all my parts from one of these 4 places.

I went to Fry's the other day and they acted like my money wasn't green, if you get what I'm saying. :shame:

Tara said:
I went to Fry's the other day and they acted like my money wasn't green, if you get what I'm saying. :shame:

Newegg is great too...

I don't know what kind of customer service PCCLUB has because I have never had a problem. They do have stores all over the country. If you are lucky enough to be in one of their cities you can exchange internet purchases in the store.

I have been hoping they would open one in Jacktown... but... I know better....

ABE said:
Newegg is great too...

I don't know what kind of customer service PCCLUB has because I have never had a problem. They do have stores all over the country. If you are lucky enough to be in one of their cities you can exchange internet purchases in the store.

I have been hoping they would open one in Jacktown... but... I know better....

Oh and I never spend much to get a pretty case. I just make sure the sucker is big enough ( enough bays for my devices) , has sufficient airflow, and has an adequate power supply. My current box looks kinda fugly, but it runs.

Tara said:

I feel ya...I have noticed that from time to time. But I don't like folk askin me if I need help all the time either so I guess it balances out for me.

Tara said:
When it comes to motherboards, what do the different socket numbers mean?

:confused:

The socket number just simply reflect the design of the chip...
So basically, say its you have a AMD 1.7 Ghz Socket 7 Chip, it means you have to find a motherboard board that supports Socket 7, not Socket 'X' -- feel me?

Best remedy for that is simply -- buy the motherboard / processor combo...
Look for the speed and brand of processor you want (AMD or Pentium) and make sure it is paired with a motherboard that has the amount of memory slots, USB slots, PCI slots and whether you want intergrated sound / video or a AGP slot for the video and a PCI slot for the sound.

That may be a bit more to digest, but thats what your going to need to be familar with as you take on this project ;o)

(( Going backwards... remember that barebone set that I said that has all of those decisions already figured out and packaged for ya? ))

Back