Hampton, Monmouth and Stony Brook to CAA & now NCAT & Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you not see what White Americans said when Deion Sanders signed the number 1 recruit in football? So now it's black people making it racial? So I guess what Florida St fans burning the Jersey was a open expression of love for black people like they burn the Confederate flag 😅 the same white folks you defending think your school like mines is a piece of shyt and dumb blacks. Don't be fooled! Ask them and they will tell you.

Please inform me what white man ran the MEAC conference

Whoa...let's tap the breaks for a minute. Everything may not be "racial," but let's not pretend that race (or culture) doesn't/hasn't played a factor in some of the decisions we've witnessed with respect to moves made within the world of college athletics.

(Good meeting you in the ATL!)

As far as the MEAC no. The MEAC breaking up was the complete fault of Dennis Thomas and failing to address the issues brought up by its members.

And also allowing 2 institutions who didn't have the financial capability to be Division 1 into the conference.

Is their racism in America. Yes. Is racism the reason HBCUs are moving conferences No

Congrats to Hampton! This was their ultimate destination for academics and athletics. Dr. Harvey has been planning this for the better part of two decades. While i think he likes the idea of being the only HBCU in the conference, this has much more to academics. Getting into the Colonial Academic Alliance was a big part of this decision.

Congrats to Hampton! This was their ultimate destination for academics and athletics. Dr. Harvey has been planning this for the better part of two decades. While i think he likes the idea of being the only HBCU in the conference, this has much more to academics. Getting into the Colonial Academic Alliance was a big part of this decision.

Hampton literally just lost its R2 status. It appears that Harvey is focused on the wrong shat if academics is truly his motivation for conference jumping.

Is their racism in America. Yes. Is racism the reason HBCUs are moving conferences No
No, no, no...that's not what you said (don't try to change this) and that's not what I'm talking about. You said "racial." Not racism. NCA&T's and Hampton's (two HBCU's) decision to leave the MEAC (an HBCU conference) I'm sure had nothing to do with "race." However, everyone in here knows you can't just join a conference. The conference has to want you.

Are you really going to tell us that the Big South -- in addition to considering the geographic footprint of both schools -- never thought about the benefit of having not one, but two, HBCUs in its conference, so that it can promote how "diverse" it is? That is the racial/cultural considerations I'm talking about. Companies love to spew how "diverse" they are. This is no different. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but let's not pretend race doesn't matter in situations like this.

Playing sports and being academically associated with schools like William & Mary, U of Richmond, Delaware are two different ball parks. I'm just saying...... I don't see how that transitions over to making them a academic powerhouse as some are suggesting. Have the associated schools like William & Mary, U of Richmond, Delaware always had black athletes and students? What has that gotten black people? I'm lost. Help me out? Is this one of those I think white folks got better books to read over black people?
Possibly, but it's just as likely validation. Some people, no matter how much they personally accomplish, stay thirsty for the pat on the head from white folks. Unfortunately, it's a thirst that will never be quenched since it is an exercise in futility because the problem lies within. You have to learn how to love yourself first.

No, no, no...that's not what you said (don't try to change this) and that's not what I'm talking about. You said "racial." Not racism. NCA&T's and Hampton's (two HBCU's) decision to leave the MEAC (an HBCU conference) I'm sure had nothing to do with "race." However, everyone in here knows you can't just join a conference. The conference has to want you.

Are you really going to tell us that the Big South -- in addition to considering the geographic footprint of both schools -- never thought about the benefit of having not one, but two, HBCUs in its conference, so that it can promote how "diverse" it is? That is the racial/cultural considerations I'm talking about. Companies love to spew how "diverse" they are. This is no different. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but let's not pretend race doesn't matter in situations like this.

Who are they selling the diversity too? The number 2 and 3 Big South leaders are Black. The number 3 is a woman from Howard with SWAC ties.

Big South is a Basketball conference that also hosts football. The football league has teams come and go. It's a spring board.

That's why I discount your diversity argument. They know why Hampton and A&T are there. Hampton got their dream. They are in / on their way to the CAA. A&T is working on theirs

Who are they selling the diversity too? The number 2 and 3 Big South leaders are Black. The number 3 is a woman from Howard with SWAC ties.

Big South is a Basketball conference that also hosts football. The football league has teams come and go. It's a spring board.

That's why I discount your diversity argument. They know why Hampton and A&T are there. Hampton got their dream. They are in / on their way to the CAA. A&T is working on theirs
You still didn't answer the question. I will ask it again: Are you really going to tell us that the Big South -- in addition to considering the geographic footprint of both schools -- never thought about the benefit of having not one, but two, HBCUs in its conference, so that it can promote how "diverse" it is?

You still didn't answer the question. I will ask it again: Are you really going to tell us that the Big South -- in addition to considering the geographic footprint of both schools -- never thought about the benefit of having not one, but two, HBCUs in its conference, so that it can promote how "diverse" it is?

No. And I say no because it doesn't benefit them. Where is the PR campaign, If it was so beneficial.

It's plenty of black coaches in the Big South. They didn't need a HBCU for diversity. They needed FB playing schools

The CAA looked at SoCon schools and Howard (MEAC). All opted to stay in place instead of joining the Colonial.

Good for the MEAC! It’s going to turn out that they’re one of the most stable conferences - even with 6 members.

Howard has more team sports than A&T. How is it that they don't invest in athletics?

Howard invests in athletics they just don’t promote it. Delaware State University is the same way they have almost 20 sports but you never hear about them.

Howard has more team sports than A&T. How is it that they don't invest in athletics?

Last report I saw , Howard budget was 10.8 million.

A&T athletic budget is 14 million.

If Howard has more sports than A&T then each sport is getting less than A&T. That's why I say they aren't invested. Also look at their facilities.

Not saying A&T is the gold standard but us vs them isn't a comparison.

In the MEAC DSU should have the highest budget

Last report I saw , Howard budget was 10.8 million.

A&T athletic budget is 14 million.

If Howard has more sports than A&T then each sport is getting less than A&T. That's why I say they aren't invested. Also look at their facilities.

Not saying A&T is the gold standard but us vs them isn't a comparison.

In the MEAC DSU should have the highest budget
It wasn't my intent to make this a comparison about Howard vs. A&T. I shouldn't have stated that the way I did. What I should have said is Howard has more team sports than just about every HBCU in the country.

To say that Howard doesn't invest in athletics is just flat-out wrong. Howard is a private institution that doesn't make exceptions for student-athletes upon academic acceptance unlike some other private institutions (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this). That makes a tremendous difference in terms of wins and losses.

Howard has replaced their press box. New track, turf, and bleachers. They’re not making enormous upgrades but upgrades none the less. Morgan state is doing the same thing with new track, turf, and a indoor type facility going on.

It wasn't my intent to make this a comparison about Howard vs. A&T. I shouldn't have stated that the way I did. What I should have said is Howard has more team sports than just about every HBCU in the country.

To say that Howard doesn't invest in athletics is just flat-out wrong. Howard is a private institution that doesn't make exceptions for student-athletes upon academic acceptance unlike some other private institutions (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this). That makes a tremendous difference in terms of wins and losses.
Correct. The standard doesn't drop just to admit "athletes." University minimum requirements must be met.

The football investment and promotion to other areas severely lacks, imho.

Correct. The standard doesn't drop just to admit "athletes." University minimum requirements must be met.

I agree. I was on Reggie Flood's radio show a while back. And we got on the subject of Howard and its athletic program.

I told him that it isn't that Howard isn't invested in athletics; the fact that the school has as many team sports as it does proves that it is. The difference to me is that Howard isn't invested/committed to winning in athletics. (JMO)

For Howard, maybe the philosophy is to simply give the student-athlete the experience of competing in sports at the collegiate level.

Definitely not suprised that Howard didn't leave. They don't invest in athletics

Howard is like the Navy, Vanderbilt and others-they are not just going to take anybody on those teams. You have to reach certain standards and not just academic.

I mean we have seen schools try to lower standards to win. Binghamton Bearcats. Kevin Broadus bought in questionable players for that ONE NCAA run to lose to Duke in 2009. He is now the coach at Morgan State.

They have gone 90-250 (11 years and 3 coaches). Howard went 96-244.

I know we complain a LOT about these teams but at least these kids are not distractions to the programs.

What would you rather boast?

Having the Vice President of the USA, a Supreme Court Justice or a man who starred in at one time the highest grossing super hero movie and 3 time Oscar winner-all while he was DYING from Cancer.

Or boast you tossed out a few jocks?

It can never be about just wanting to be in a better conference with yall lol. Are we going to really sit here and debate that the CAA is a worse conference than the MEAC? All the personal stuff I leave to others. No one seems to complain about the other two teams that left. I wonder why.

A lot of us are simply afraid of competing against 88% of the rest of the country. Plain and simple. Its old minded fear.

I hope Hampton goes over there and kick their asses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back