Hampton Black College Football National Champs? (Sheridan Poll 11-30-04)

Deuce

Despite losing in the playoffs, Hampton takes over sole posession of #1 in the latest Sheridan Poll. (Last week Hampton and Albany St. were tied for #1). Albany St. drops from a tie at #1, to #2.

Southern and Bama State blew excellent opportunities to move up to #1 and #2 respectively by losing to in-state rivals over the Thanksgiving weekend . . .

Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points (last week's rankings in red)

1. Hampton Pirates (13) 10-2 227 1 (tie)

2. Albany State Rams (11) 11-1 213 1 (tie)

3. Tuskegee Golden Tigers (6) 10-1 194 6

4. South Carolina State Bulldogs 9-2 185 5

5. Southern Jaguars 8-3 166 3

6. Alabama State Hornets 8-2 134 4

7. Arkansas Pine-Bluff Golden Tigers 6-2 83 7

8. Shaw Bears 9-2 72 8

9. North Carolina Central Eagles 8-2 52 9

10. Alcorn State Braves 7-4 41 10

Others receiving votes: Bethune-Cookman 30, Miles College 26, Fayetteville State 18, Fort Valley State 15, Alabama A&M 13.

As of November 30, 2004, at 04:50 PM ET

Not that it really matters (especially with this Sheridan garbage,) but how does Alcorn rank even at #10 above AAMU when they LOST to AAMU?

AAMU Alum said:
Not that it really matters (especially with this Sheridan garbage,) but how does Alcorn rank even at #10 above AAMU when they LOST to AAMU?

why should that matter? You look at the season not one game. That same argument could be made for several people. Also, Alcorn played a tougher non-conference schedule in my opinion. Howard was stronger than SSU and SE LA is stronger than TNState.

Tigerpride said:
why should that matter? You look at the season not one game. That same argument could be made for several people. Also, Alcorn played a tougher non-conference schedule in my opinion. Howard was stronger than SSU and SE LA is stronger than TNState.

You continue to keep hangin' your hat on this issue of who plays whom. You do that to try to validate Bell when you've posted the same nonsense as it relates to his win-loss record. He's a miserable coach, and nothing you try to spin will change that. But since you insist on using that to evaluate teams, the head-to-head match-ups come into play as well, which validates my question. As I said in the beginning: Not that it really matters (especially with this Sheridan garbage,) Try reading the WHOLE post and not just portions.

AAMU Alum said:
You continue to keep hangin' your hat on this issue of who plays whom. You do that to try to validate Bell when you've posted the same nonsense as it relates to his win-loss record. He's a miserable coach, and nothing you try to spin will change that. But since you insist on using that to evaluate teams, the head-to-head match-ups come into play as well, which validates my question. As I said in the beginning: Not that it really matters (especially with this Sheridan garbage,) Try reading the WHOLE post and not just portions.

Yes, head to head matters but you tried to make that your MAIN argument. Get a life.

My point is...if Alcorn had played SSU instead of Howard, they would be 8-3. you played a weak schedule and still was not 8-3.

Tigerpride said:
Yes, head to head matters but you tried to make that your MAIN argument. Get a life.

..and you keep squawkin' about who plays who. What's the difference? Get a brain...a real one and not one from a sheep!

Tigerpride said:
My point is...if Alcorn had played SSU instead of Howard, they would be 8-3. you played a weak schedule and still was not 8-3.

I guess we should include your team among the "weaklings."

AAMU Alum said:
What's the difference?

The difference is that strength of schedule is a factor just like head to head competition, nut. Evaluate Jones for he the h$ll he beat...not how many wins he had. That is how coons evaluate coaches.

The TSPN/Classic Cuts Top 10 HBCU Major football poll,
with number of first-place votes, record in parentheses,
total points, previous ranking, and next opponent:

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-(12-4-2004-W/L-Opp.)
1. S. C. State----------(9-2)--(4)--92----4--(Season Complete)
2. Hampton--------------(10-2)-(5)--89----1--(Season Complete)
3. Arkansas Pine Bluff--(6-2)-------78----5--(at-Alabama State)
4. Alabama State--------(8-2)--(1)--74----2--(vs-Arkansas Pine Bluff)
5. Southern-------------(8-3)-------51----3--(Open)
6. Alabama A & M--------(7-4)-------39----6--(Season Complete)
7. Alcorn State---------(7-4)-------33----7--(Season Complete)
8. Grambling State------(6-5)-------25----10-(Season Complete)
9. Bethune-Cookman------(6-4)-------19----8--(Season Complete)
10. Howard---------------(6-5)-------8-----9--(Season Complete)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hampton beat the dog isht out of SCSU?

bluedog said:
The TSPN/Classic Cuts Top 10 HBCU Major football poll,
with number of first-place votes, record in parentheses,
total points, previous ranking, and next opponent:

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-(12-4-2004-W/L-Opp.)
1. S. C. State----------(9-2)--(4)--92----4--(Season Complete)
2. Hampton--------------(10-2)-(5)--89----1--(Season Complete)
3. Arkansas Pine Bluff--(6-2)-------78----5--(at-Alabama State)
4. Alabama State--------(8-2)--(1)--74----2--(vs-Arkansas Pine Bluff)
5. Southern-------------(8-3)-------51----3--(Open)
6. Alabama A & M--------(7-4)-------39----6--(Season Complete)
7. Alcorn State---------(7-4)-------33----7--(Season Complete)
8. Grambling State------(6-5)-------25----10-(Season Complete)
9. Bethune-Cookman------(6-4)-------19----8--(Season Complete)
10. Howard---------------(6-5)-------8-----9--(Season Complete)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hampton beat the dog isht out of SCSU?

Yep.

It's pretty schitty that they're penalized because they lost in the playoffs when SCSU didn't even make the playoffs.

PNeck019 said:
Yep.

It's pretty schitty that they're penalized because they lost in the playoffs when SCSU didn't even make the playoffs.
Happened to JSU all the time when we were good.

PNeck019 said:
Yep.

Ok I didn't realize they loss a playoff game,thats normal they do it every year. I wonder why the sheridan........never mind.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how the American Sportswire have them ranked.

PNeck019 said:
Yep.

I thought I heard on ESPN that Hampton was up 35-0 and lost 42-35. Is that true?

It was Albany St. that was up on Valdosta St 24 - 0 at halftime and lost 38 - 24.

Hampton did have an early 13 point lead on them after the first quarter but eventually lost 42 - 35

PNeck019 said:
Yep.

These polls just don't display too much common sense.

Back