Guilty!

I'm glad he was finally convicted, but justice can never really be served when a 32 year old man commits such a horrific crime and it takes 39 years to convict.

"Evidence showed Cherry was a suspect within days of the bombing, and he moved his family to Texas in the early 1970s as authorities in Alabama continued questioning him about the bombing." - USAToday

He lived a long life... raised a family. The irony is that testimony from his family condemned him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They say that 'Justice Delayed, is Justice Denied'.....

So I'm happy with the verdict....But my only concern is this: what was really gained by the trial and the conviction. The girls are still just as dead as they were in '63, and Bobby Frank Cherry still won't serve the full sentence for the crime....So who has justice served? Cherry's at Death's door with a key. He'll never really 'pay' for the crime. Of course, his GOD will judge him, but our Justice System has once again failed us......Now how many other old Civil Rights' Era cases will be reopened and retried.....I think we've got plenty of current-day cases that need our attention........

Taylor-Made,

While it's true that these vicious hate-mongers have been able to live their lives for the last 39 years, it gives the victims' families a sense of closure. I wouldn't dare say that I know what they've gone through, because I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a beloved member of my family to such an atrocity. I do know, however, that there will be comfort in knowing that while it has been delayed, one of the perpetrators of the crime will get exactly what he deserves. Who's to say that if they had been convicted back in 1964 or 1965, that they would have given the sentences they deserved. I can imagine that some all-white jury would have sentenced them to a five-year prison term, and they'd be free living out their lives. One thing we know for sure. Cherry will DIE in prison. Hell, depending on how much interaction he gets with some of the other inmates, he may die there before he completes his first eight months of his sentence!

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Taylor-Made,

While it's true that these vicious hate-mongers have been able to live their lives for the last 39 years, it gives the victims' families a sense of closure.

I don't believe they'll ever have closure. But I guess that depends on how you define 'closure'. Different people see it in different ways. It seems to be that they should not have been able to wait 39 for closure. It should've driven them insane. But I think they found a way to cope with the loss, and move on. They had to. They couldn't have been able to progress (however the progressed) over the years, if they were unbearably weighted down by the burden of the crime. It seems to me that they should've been totally comsumed with pursuing Justice. And I can understand that Justice is slow and that people get tired of fighting. And maybe they have a right to be tired, and maybe they can finally have closure. So maybe this whole trial and all the publicity and expensewas justified....Because they now feel better........

:confused:

IMO there is a huge difference in justice today than it was in 1963. Although I may be wrong, I believe that IF Cherry would have stood trial AT ALL back then, the outcome would probably be quite similar to what many guilty policemen enjoy today.

I believe that the murdered children families must feel that some type of justice was served although it was slow in coming. It also can send a message to hate groups that there is no statue of limitation for the crimes they commit and they could spend the rest of their lives wondering if or when their arrest will come.

Originally posted by LMBH
IMO there is a huge difference in justice today than it was in 1963. Although I may be wrong, I believe that IF Cherry would have stood trial AT ALL back then, the outcome would probably be quite similar to what many guilty policemen enjoy today.

I believe that the murdered children families must feel that some type of justice was served although it was slow in coming. It also can send a message to hate groups that there is no statue of limitation for the crimes they commit and they could spend the rest of their lives wondering if or when their arrest will come.

I agree. Note. When the klansmen were sent to prison for killing the civil rights' workers in Philadelphia, MS, the longest one served was 10 years. Correct me if I am wrong. They were convicted of civil rights' violations, not murder in the late '60s. Anyway, Cherry will be gone for a long time, unless he dies soon.

yeah,,,,, but,,

I wonder will this profoundly change the lasting image associated with Birmingham/Alabama? Probably not.:rolleyes:

Re: yeah,,,,, but,,

Originally posted by Bartram
I wonder will this profoundly change the lasting image associated with Birmingham/Alabama? Probably not.:rolleyes:

I ask the same question........I think until something else 'worldly profound' happens in Birmingham, it'll forever be remembered for the 16th Street Church and those four little girls.......

Kinda like Dallas is still known as the place where Pres. Kennedy was shot and killed. And visitors flock to that very spot almost around the clock. There's always a group of people standing in the very spot where he was shot.........:bawling:

While I am satisfied with the VERDICT, the timing STINKS. Cherry had the luxury of living a full life to a ripe old age. He watched his children grow and lived a relatively stress free life. He even bragged about his unGODLY actions.

If I could speak to his son (who reported his father) I would ask..."why now?" The same evidence today was there 30 something odd years ago. It took you this long?

I will tell ya what I think:
Daddy grew old, difficult, and hard to handle. The kids got tired of his elderly arse. Anyone who knows about caring for a parent/grandaparent who is elderly knows the stress involved. They used this to their advantage. Next........Book Deal.

Damn them all. This old geezer will be dead in a year or five.

Originally posted by BIFF
I will tell ya what I think:
Daddy grew old, difficult, and hard to handle. The kids got tired of his elderly arse. Anyone who knows about caring for a parent/grandaparent who is elderly knows the stress involved. They used this to their advantage. Next........Book Deal.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean in the above statement. I did choose to care for an elderly grandparent, and it wasn't as stressful as raising a teenager, lol, but true.

Indeed, almost 40 years is a long time, but the alternative would have been zero time. Also, the fact that his son finally choose to share evidence him, is somewhat out of the norm for a parent/child relationship even if one of the two is wrong. Also if faced with two probable choices which would be better, life in prison now which would be zero to 20 or so years, or zero prison time by a jury of his peers in 1964?

Back