GSU increasing enrollment, fixing student retention, & saving dollars.

lilrj1919

1919/1911 Connection
BPCC and Grambling to enter agreement today

Bossier Parish Community College and Grambling State University will enter an agreement that will allow students who need development classes to attend the college.

The agreement will be announced at 9:30 a.m. today at BPCC and at 1:30 p.m. at GSU.

What does the agreement entail?

Students who are accepted into GSU needing developmental classes will be able to take them through the two-year college, BPCC Chancellor Jim Henderson said. The BPCC classes will be taught on the GSU campus so students can take advantage of it. GSU students also will be able to take basic courses, up to 12 hours, through BPCC. This is set to begin in the spring.

In exchange, GSU will teach master's level courses on the BPCC campus, Henderson said. The exact courses have not been decided, he said.

How does this affect Grambling?

This would have a positive effect for GSU. According to the latest figures available, 23.4 percent of the first-time freshmen who began at the school in the fall of 2009 needed developmental courses.

This year, the Louisiana Board of Regents passed new admission requirements for students entering universities. Starting in fall 2012, students must have a higher ACT score and in 2014, students will not be able to take remedial or developmental courses at four-year universities.

more info..http://shreveporttimes.com/article/2...greement-today

2Morrow GSU will enter in a similar agreement with Delta Community College!

This is great news.

:clap:

Last edited:
Not trying to rain on Gram's parade but this statement is very bothersome for a <b>university</b>:

<b><u>an agreement that will allow students who need development classes to attend the college</u></b>

Maybe we all have differing views of what a COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS and what it FUNCTIONS (does) vs what's REQUIRED of a <b>4 year university</b>. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the powers that be are making inroads to have an extension of the community college system and it's function(s) actually a part of the university itself.

Most "agreements" I've seen between univs here, allow for TXFER hours and credit courses w/ some type of instant acceptance to the 4yr univ once appl for admission occurs. This up here ^^^^ is all new to me. :confused: And, quite scarey.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Not trying to rain on Gram's parade but this statement is very bothersome for a <b>university</b>:

Maybe we all have differing views of what a COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS and what it FUNCTIONS (does) vs what's REQUIRED of a <b>4 year university</b>. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the powers that be are making inroads to have an extension of the community college system and it's function(s) actually a part of the university itself.

Most "agreements" I've seen between univs here, allow for TXFER hours and credit courses w/ some type of instant acceptance to the 4yr univ once appl for admission occurs. This up here ^^^^ is all new to me. :confused: And, quite scarey.

The quote below is more detailed

Students who are accepted into GSU needing developmental classes will be able to take them through the two-year college, BPCC Chancellor Jim Henderson said. The BPCC classes will be taught on the GSU campus so students can take advantage of it. GSU students also will be able to take basic courses, up to 12 hours, through BPCC. This is set to begin in the spring.

All this is doing is allowing GSU to accept more students. For the past 3 years due to increased admissions standards, GSU didn't accept many students like the university did in the past when it was open admissions but with the agreement GSU will accept more students and allow BPCC to run the developmental classes on GSU's campus. Nothing more, nothing less.

Couldn't read the article (bad link) so I had to make some assertions.

I understand the intent of the quote you'd given. But I still have one reservation about CC classes being taught @ <b>a public university</b>. This is a first, I'm pretty sure. :read:

If all Gram powers are okay w/ it, more power to you and good luck w/ it. :tup:

Couldn't read the article (bad link) so I had to make some assertions.

I understand the intent of the quote you'd given. But I still have one reservation about CC classes being taught @ <b>a public university</b>. This is a first, I'm pretty sure. :read:

If all Gram powers are okay w/ it, more power to you and good luck w/ it. :tup:

It's not a first, it's happening all over the U.S. even in San Antonio, Texas and all over Georgia, Michigan, Forida etc.:read:

It's not a first, it's happening all over the U.S. even in San Antonio, Texas and all over Georgia, Michigan, Forida etc.:read:

Huh? San Antonio? Where? Pump ya' brakes player. I try to keep up w/ this type of local stuff because it ultimately has an impact on PVAMU locally. :confused:

CC classes being taught <b>on campus</b> @ a 4yr here? Where mane?

St. Philips College in San Antonio, TX & Grambling are about to form a partnership like Bossier Parish Community College of Bossier City, La has done with Grambling and Delta Community College in Monroe, La has done with Grambling. Michigan State has been doing the same thing for years. Nothing new. Many people just don't hear about it. All it's doing it raising enrollment and increasing retention. Plain & Simple. Increased enrollment and improved retention is a big plus. BTW, Grambling just received 23 million dollars for research etc and more money is being pumped into the University. Dr. Pogue has a proven record of increasing enrollment, retention and endowments, all is well.

Last edited:
Articulation agreements such as this between CC's/JUCO's and 4 year institutions are actually quite common... All over the U.S.... With Gram's agreement, BPCC faculty come to Grambling to teach Dev. Ed. courses thus centralizing the dev. ed courses in the cc sector. This is the mission of the state anyway.... These developmental courses are similar to the same courses PVAMU offers their developmental students only PVAMU faculty teach the dev. ed courses, if I understand correctly. Gram faculty will teach Master's level courses on the BPCC campus. This works out well for both institutions and cuts down on travel time for students.
Huh? San Antonio? Where? Pump ya' brakes player. I try to keep up w/ this type of local stuff because it ultimately has an impact on PVAMU locally. :confused:

CC classes being taught <b>on campus</b> @ a 4yr here? Where mane?

Last edited:
This happens more at large PWC's than folk know. Those schools have large enrollments for a reason. We are just catching on to what they have been doing for decades.

This happens more at large PWC's than folk know. Those schools have large enrollments for a reason. We are just catching on to what they have been doing for decades.

I'm overly familiar w/ the articulation agreement between 2-yr colls and 4-yr univs, particularly this one:

Lone Star College System's University Center is a partnership between the Lone Star colleges and Sam Houston State University, Texas A&M University (updated to aTm System Schools of which PVAMU is a part of) and Texas Southern University.

My tax $$$ there help support all 3 entities, and I'm fine w/ that since they are offering courses @ THEIR facilities (plural) (considering there are 69,000+ students enrolled fall 2010) and not the other way around. :confused: That's what I find very different. :confused:

I have a strong feeling that I would get lol'd @ if I approach some of these longhorns, aggies, sooners, and mustangs running about my building explaining the latter-agreement. :confused: That's all.

Last edited:
What Grambling is doing is really no different than the current articulation agreements that PVAMU has with HCC and DCC. The only difference is that BPCC comes to Grambling to teach the courses rather than having the students go to them. You forget, Grambling is quite isolated, there is no Community College in Grambling, and distance/travel can be an issue for students. It was great that someone had the foresight to make this happen. Not to mention, PVAMU already offers dev. ed courses @ PVAMU taught by PVAMU faculty. So it's not like PVAMU doesn't have these same courses that our taught at community colleges. In fact most 4-year institutions have some sort of dev. ed. program....BPCC offers the dev. ed classes. BPCC is coming to the students who need them... that's a good thing...
I'll certainly do a lil' bit of digging @ my other alma mater and see. I would be a lil' bit shocked though, considering there are bordering 2-yr colleges that they compete w/ for first-yr students :read:. But @ one point recently, they did offer a "Basket Weaving" class. :retard: (Amish lol) Where's JR? :D lol

Also, I know factually Lone Star, a VERY, VERY large Comm Coll Distr in MontCo-harrisCo, Tx doesn't do this. Period. And, neither does the decently large DCCD. I'm not sure what TCCC does but I'd seriously doubt TCU, UNT lol, SMU, or others in this area w/ higher admiss standards on their main campus would allow a comm coll to have exported classes on their campus. I have a different kind of feeling about UNT-south dallas though lol. Their admiss standards are much lower than the main campus (documented). I'd be semi-embarrassed to even ask some of their alums I work w/ for fear of being lol'd @.

What Grambling is doing is really no different than the current articulation agreements that PVAMU has with HCC and DCC. The only difference is that BPCC comes to Grambling to teach the courses rather than having the students go to them. You forget, Grambling is quite isolated, there is no Community College in Grambling, and distance/travel can be an issue for students. It was great that someone had the foresight to make this happen. Not to mention, PVAMU already offers dev. ed courses @ PVAMU taught by PVAMU faculty. So it's not like PVAMU doesn't have these same courses that our taught at community colleges. In fact most 4-year institutions have some sort of dev. ed. program....BPCC offers the dev. ed classes. BPCC is coming to the students who need them... that's a good thing...

I had to recant because I was speaking w/ someone when I typed what you quoted. They certainly set me straight on the matter. :)

If it's saving university $$$ and increasing enrollment simultaneously, can't hate on that. I thought there were CCs near what... Ruston? But you guys are vieing for students head to head in that LaTech corridor, which is unique (thinking of sTu and UofH across the street from each other lol).

I had to recant because I was speaking w/ someone when I typed what you quoted. They certainly set me straight on the matter. :)

If it's saving university $$$ and increasing enrollment simultaneously, can't hate on that. I thought there were CCs near what... Ruston? But you guys are vieing for students head to head in that LaTech corridor, which is unique (thinking of sTu and UofH across the street from each other lol).

Nope. The closest cc is Louisiana Delta CC in Eastern Ouachita Parish - Monroe (about 40 miles) . BPCC is in Bossier (about 65-70 miles).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Nope. The closest cc is Louisiana Delta CC in Eastern Ouachita Parish - Monroe (about 40 miles) . BPCC is in Bossier (about 65-70 miles).

It's clear as mud. I didn't realize Gram was isolated and thought Ruston had a few CCs there.

Thx for clearing it up. :tup:

Back