GSU DC Roach

GramFan

Just got a call from my contact at GSU. According to him, Defensive Coordinator Michael Roach will not be with the team again this year because of a serious illness. He didnt know exactly what the illness is but it looks like H. Northern will take over at Defensive Coordinator.

What do you mean that he will not be with the team again. When was he not with the team before?

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
What do you mean that he will not be with the team again. When was he not with the team before?

No, meaning he was with them in San Jose but will not be with them again this year for any more games.

GSU's defensive coordinator to miss season
Nick Deriso
September 2, 2003

Grambling State defensive coordinator Michael Roach ? one of head coach Doug Williams? original hirings ? won?t finish the season with the Tigers.

Citing personal and health reasons, Roach will take a three-month sabbatical. He informed Williams by phone on Sunday morning, with Williams making the team announcement Sunday night. Grambling enters Southwestern Athletic Conference play on Saturday at Alcorn.

?Mike and I have been talking for the last three to four weeks,? Williams said during GSU?s weekly press con-ference Tuesday morning on campus. ?He?s battling some things. All we can do is wish him well.?

Roach?s family ? which includes two young sons ? has remained in his hometown of Baton Rouge. He has also battled diabetes over the years.

?He was concerned about letting the guys down ? especially at this time of year. But I told him, for his sake, he?s got to take care of that first,? Williams said. ?There comes a time when everybody has to make these deci-sions in life.?

Roach?s duties will be assumed by Heishma Northern, now in his sixth season at Grambling. Northern is pro-moted from coordinator of defensive backs and special teams.
Meanwhile, defensive line coach Gabe Northern ? in his third season with the Tigers ? will also handling the linebackers.

?I think we?ve got guys who know what we want,? Williams said, ?because they have been around us since we?ve been here.?

Roach?s tenure at Grambling State coincides with their return to greatness. The Tigers have won SWAC championship three years in row, after several non-winning seasons to end the long tenure of coach Eddie Robinson.

Roach was a two-time Coach of the Year while at Southern Lab in Baron Rouge, guiding the Kittens to a state championship (Actually, the coach that year was Gerald Kimble who replaced Roach just prior to season). He was originally hired (At Morehouse) as a linebackers coach, before being promoted to defensive coordinator.

Roach had a hand in shaping several Grambling noteables ? including Robert Taylor, an perennial All-SWAC performer who will also take over some coaching duties in Roach?s absence.

?The key here is: You?ve still got to go forward,? Williams said. ?We hope the players realize that, in life, you?re going to lose some people along the way.?

Williams said Roach?s job will be held for him after the conclusion of the season, should he decide to return.

Back