Greatest football games you DIDN'T see?

HBCUs

Deep in Tha Heart of...
Here's a slightly different topic.

In the past we've discussed the greatest BCF games and/or individual performances that we saw in the flesh, but what about the ones we missed?

For example, one particular game that I regret like "L" I missed was the SU/ Alcorn matchup in '94. The week prior to the game some buddies and I were forced to choose between supporting JSU in a road game at Grambling (a 1 pm start), or riding down to Lorman to witness Steve McNair face a game SU squad (another 1 pm start.) Note: All four teams happened to still be alive in the SWAC title race. As expected, we opted to make the Grambling trip.

Much to my dimay, I got a double whammy that day. Not only did my Tigers lose in a lackluster performance at GSU, but (by all accounts) Alcorn and SU put on one of the greatest battles in SWAC history. Steve McNair had struck again, almost single-handedly leading his team to a comeback win! By about 3:00 that afternoon I was understandably sick from what I was seeing, and 2nd half stadium updates of the Alcorn game (every five minutes or so) didn't help matters either.

Three other matchups I reget I missed were:

GSU/ Alcorn '93 (McNair vs. Nord)
Alcorn/ GSU '94 (McNair vs. Nord)
Valley/ Alcorn '84 (Totten/Rice vs. Ike Holt)
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

What are the games (or performances) you hate you missed?

Also....

If there are any fans on the board who remember the details of that '94 SU/ ASU game, fill me in.

Originally posted by HBCUs

I WAS AT THIS GAME, PROBABLY ONE OF THE 2 GREATEST OFFENSIVE PERFORMANCE I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN THE OTHER BAMA/JSU 2001.

BOTH HAD:

*LOTS OF SCORES
*DRAMA
*BIG HITS
*THE OUTCOME WAN'T DETERNINED UNTIL THE FINAL MINUTES OF THE GAME.

bad officials caused SU that game. Call backed a touchdown in the back of the end zone that was clearly caught before going out of bound, but we still had opportunities to win that game. McNair hurted us with his running on 3rd and 4th downs. Don't think we stopped them at all in the fourth quarter. I watched the game on ESPN II WHILE SHOPPING AT CIRCUIT CITY. All the white folks was watching that game.:lmao:

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

. . . . BAMA/JSU 2001 . . . .

I was fortunate enough to witness this game. It was unbelievable.

As far as games that I wish I had seen, there aren't many. But Alcorn (McNair) at Samford in Birmingham was held on the same day, at the same time as the Magic City Classic of 1994 (not sure about the year).

It was a vintage McNair performance, and a game that I would have attended had it not conflicted with the MCC.

Originally posted by Deuce

I was fortunate enough to witness this game. It was unbelievable.

As far as games that I wish I had seen, there aren't many. But Alcorn (McNair) at Samford in Birmingham was held on the same day, at the same time as the Magic City Classic of 1994 (not sure about the year).

It was a vintage McNair performance, and a game that I would have attended had it not conflicted with the MCC.

I hate that I missed that game too for the same reason. It was 45 to 3 at the half in favor of Samford at the half. I think.

I have that SU/Alcorn game on tape from ESPN2. I'm still glad I didn't miss it and still cringe at the thought of Jerry Wilson letting Marcus Hinton get behind him with about :39 seconds to go to get Alcorn down to the one-yard line. Before that play, eveybody though McNair had messed up with an intentional grounding call (he threw the ball out of bounds after being rushed back about 15, 20 yards by Kenta Rounds and Jimmy Conner.

Then, McNair bulled his way over the goal line. And we still had a chance to win on the kickoff as Kenyatta Sparks found a wall and ran it back to the Alcorn twenty-something before the wall ran out. Final -- Alcorn 41, Southern 37.

I can remember whether it was the year before or after, but we pasted McNair and company at home 47-31. I think it was before the ESPN2 game and Alcorn wanted payback.

Great BCF football!

The 1999 Bayou Classic. I saw a 3rd quarter score on CNN's Headline News, Grambling had a big lead, I thought they would win. Picked up the newspaper the next morning, Southern had won the game, I couldn't believe it.

Originally posted by BLUEBENGAL
The 1999 Bayou Classic. I saw a 3rd quarter score on CNN's Headline News, Grambling had a big lead, I thought they would win. Picked up the newspaper the next morning, Southern had won the game, I couldn't believe it.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT , I WAS THERE LIVE IN THE SUPERDOME. :bawling:

Originally posted by BLUEBENGAL

. . . . . . had a big lead, I thought they would win. Picked up the newspaper the next morning, . . . . . . I couldn't believe it . . . . . . .

A&M Fans,

Does this sound familiar?

Hint ------------------------------------>1998 ! ! ! !

A&M lead 28-0 with about a minute to play in the third quarter.

Darnell Kennedy goes off ! ! ! !

Final score . . . .

Bama State 34 - A&M 28

I remember that game

SU JAG 79, I remember that game in Baton Rouge when you guys beat Alcorn. I happen to be on the sideline with Alcorn. I was standing with Doug Williams, Charlie Ward, and Warrick Dunn. Every play McNair made Doug would look at Charlie and say "that boy bad", or "he's the real deal". After SU won the game, Charlie Ward walked up to McNair and said "I would love to see you operate in our system with my line, receivers, and backs. Hearing those words from him told me that the numbers that McNair put up would have been done no matter where he would have played.

Originally posted by HBCUs

I remember this like it was yesterday. The weather was steaming hot. The stadium was filled to capacity. It was awesome college football. A BLACK COLLEGE EXPERIENCE I WILL NEVER FORGET.

Boy you missed it!! :(

UAPB and Jackson State, October 2000. I heard both teams offenses were in rare form. Passing and running the ball up and down the field. UAPB'S new stadium was filled to the rim.

The greatest game every scheduled and played>

Everyone said AAMU was crazy for playing SU on our Homecoming.

They told me I was crazy when I told them at the press conference that we would win.

We kicked SU butt and sent 5,000 fans back to the boot angry.

If you have DVD, I will hook you up.

Re: I remember that game

Originally posted by RAWRAY FROM J-STATE
SU JAG 79, I remember that game in Baton Rouge when you guys beat Alcorn. I happen to be on the sideline with Alcorn. I was standing with Doug Williams, Charlie Ward, and Warrick Dunn. Every play McNair made Doug would look at Charlie and say "that boy bad", or "he's the real deal". After SU won the game, Charlie Ward walked up to McNair and said "I would love to see you operate in our system with my line, receivers, and backs. Hearing those words from him told me that the numbers that McNair put up would have been done no matter where he would have played.

I was at this game also. Although we won this game, could not believe what I was watching. I vividly remember talking about McNair all the way home and half of that night. After that game in 93 I knew he was something very special. A couple of weeks later, I made a bold prediction on sports talk in New Orleans that McNair would be drafted before Charlie Ward. The big school white folks were going crazy when I made that statement. The next year CNN camera's was following McNair's every Saturday night move. In 94 when S.U. arrived in Lorman for the afternoon ESPN2 ball game the traffic was so bad until myself and a few other Jags got off of the bus and started walking towards the stadium. The press was all over the place. All kind of helicopters trying to land. It was a mad house. The game was awesome and no one left the stadium until the game was over. That game was not determined until the clock read 00:00. This game will rank as one of the legendary SWAC games of all times. And, there are many! Finally, thanksgiving weekend at the Bayou Classic for half time NBC did a very good story on the Black QB in the NFL and the issues with teams looking over and not giving them a chance. On the shoulders of James Shack Harris, Doug Williams and Warren Moon among a few others, McNair kicked the door open and if memory serves me correctly was the #3 overall pick to the Oilers now Titans. Now there are a plethora of black QB's in the league. This was only 7 short seasons ago. McNair was the 3rd SWAC player to be invited to the Heisman's Awards. No other 1-AA conference even comes close to this feat..... For those that don't know we are the GD, MF'G.......SWAC!!!!

Back