Grammy-winning jazz drummer Lawrence Leathers.....R.I.P.

Mace

( A musical prodigy who life was cut short. I wish I had been familiar with his work prior to learning about him here)!
Grammy-winning jazz drummer Lawrence Leathers dies in Bronx after apartment fight

Leathers was born Nov. 23, 1981 in Lansing, Michigan, and took an interest in playing drums as a child.

He attended classes at Michigan State University's School of Music and the Julliard School in New York.
Leathers won two Grammy Awards as a member of the Aaron Diehl Trio.

He also performed as a feature artist at Small's Jazz Club in New York and served as a guest drummer on "Harry," Harry Connick Jr.'s talk show.
"He had such a meteoric rise ahead of him," Cooper said of her cousin. "That's what hurts the most to us. The world really doesn't know what it just lost."
Leathers grew up with a "no quit personality" that helped him defy the odds of becoming a successful musician, said Brandon Leathers, his younger brother.
Leathers decided to leave Julliard after two years of classes so he could pursue a full-time music career.
Drummer Lawrence Leathers, a Lansing native, is seen here in 2001 practicing with the MSU Jazz Band II at Michigan State University. The 37-year-old was found dead in New York City.

"We all felt he was out of his mind when he did that," Brandon Leathers said. "Who quits Julliard? If anything, Julliard cuts you.
"But he said, 'I'm better than what's here,' and he didn't look back."

Back