Grambling's Orchesis ... we have a problem

tsugraytiger

I knew something strange was going on with them. Grambling's Orchesis dancers have always been stick thin and I never understood why I until now. And it's because of the article below, the long time overall director of the dance line Maroney-Grigsby always favored very slim girls and hazes them to ensure they stay their way.

Most of the girls at Grambling today tend to be thick to very thick so I'm sure it's discouraging for those that are great dancers to be rejected simply for not being super model thin which is very hard to do. In my lifetime there has been only one "sorta thicker" Orchesis I can think of and I'm sure she paid "extra money" or had really good connections to make the squad ... the rest have been runway model in NYC thin which is just no longer common in the black community.

http://www.thegramblinite.com/news/view.php/392359/Suspension-creates-backlash

24838343_1240262196117992_135717543464665088_n.jpg

Last edited:

I knew something strange was going on with them. Grambling's Orchesis dancers have always been stick thin and I never understood why I until now. And it's because of the article below, the long time overall director of the dance line Maroney-Grigsby always favored very slim girls and hazes them to ensure they stay their way.

Most of the girls at Grambling today tend to be thick to very thick so I'm sure it's discouraging for those that are great dancers to be rejected simply for not being super model thin which is very hard to do. In my lifetime there has been only one "sorta thicker" Orchesis I can think of and I'm sure she paid "extra money" or had really good connections to make the squad ... the rest have been runway model in NYC thin which is just no longer common in the black community.

View attachment 5813

Bruh I know Diane personally.....she danced with Alvin Ailey. Many of the dancers prior to 2012 we TRAINED dancers in ballet, tap, etc.... How do I know...because my sister was one for four years.

As the article noted it is a DANCE COMPANY unlike many SWAC schools.

http://www.gram.edu/student-life/clubs/orchesis/

ORCHESIS provides Dance Classes and Dance Instruction For All Students!

Orchesis is open to any interested Male or Female willing to dedicate time and a concentrated effort to learn the structured discipline of Dance.

In preparation for such training and performances, members of the organization spend 5 to 7 days each week practicing ballet, modern and jazz techniques, learning choreography, auditioning and rehearsing for scheduled engagements. They also attend workshops to keep abreast of current styles and techniques. Each member is provided an opportunity to continuously seek exposure for growth by attending concerts and taking classes at other studios. We have been fortunate in exposing our students to the likes of: The Alvin Ailey American Dance Center, Twin City Ballet Company, Joe Tramine Dance Convention, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Louisiana Dance Foundation, The Dallas Black Dance Theatre and The Gus Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago.

Our goal is to develop your skills to a level consistent with the reputation enjoyed by Grambling State University Orchesis Dance Company, on the Sports Field and on the Theatre Stage.

Orchesis Dance Company is an organization where you con improve and advance your dance skills. Join us at Grambling State University, “A Place Where Everybody is Somebody”.

Contact Information:

For more information contact Mrs. Dianne Maroney-Grigsby at (318) 927-9792(H) or at (318) 278-0577(C). Or e-mail her at OrchesisGSU@icloud.com

-----------------------------

It goes deeper than shaking your ass like a stripper.

Bruh I know Diane personally.....she danced with Alvin Ailey. Many of the dancers prior to 2012 we TRAINED dancers in ballet, tap, etc.... How do I know...because my sister was one for four years.

As the article noted it is a DANCE COMPANY unlike many SWAC schools.

http://www.gram.edu/student-life/clubs/orchesis/

ORCHESIS provides Dance Classes and Dance Instruction For All Students!

Orchesis is open to any interested Male or Female willing to dedicate time and a concentrated effort to learn the structured discipline of Dance.

In preparation for such training and performances, members of the organization spend 5 to 7 days each week practicing ballet, modern and jazz techniques, learning choreography, auditioning and rehearsing for scheduled engagements. They also attend workshops to keep abreast of current styles and techniques. Each member is provided an opportunity to continuously seek exposure for growth by attending concerts and taking classes at other studios. We have been fortunate in exposing our students to the likes of: The Alvin Ailey American Dance Center, Twin City Ballet Company, Joe Tramine Dance Convention, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Louisiana Dance Foundation, The Dallas Black Dance Theatre and The Gus Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago.

Our goal is to develop your skills to a level consistent with the reputation enjoyed by Grambling State University Orchesis Dance Company, on the Sports Field and on the Theatre Stage.

Orchesis Dance Company is an organization where you con improve and advance your dance skills. Join us at Grambling State University, “A Place Where Everybody is Somebody”.

Contact Information:

For more information contact Mrs. Dianne Maroney-Grigsby at (318) 927-9792(H) or at (318) 278-0577(C). Or e-mail her at OrchesisGSU@icloud.com

-----------------------------

It goes deeper than shaking your ass like a stripper.

I have no problem with their dance style and I know Diane was a very accomplished dancer ... again my problem with the squad is the stick thin body expectations and favoritism. I would like to see a diversity in body types. I'm not saying there should be "big girls" on the squad but why everybody got to be super skinny and stick thin ... it almost look like they starve themselves to be on the squad.

LMAO reaching at its finest lol. Boredom due to the lack of football is the culprit lol. BTW, The Orchesis are not just a danceline like everyone else is, she is actually teaching them to be professional dancers, tell me how many large frame dancers are in plays, broadway etc have you ever seen? Unless it's "Hairspray" lol. There is a method to the madness.

Last edited:
LMAO reaching at its finest lol. Boredom due to the lack of football is the culprit lol. BTW, The Orchesis are not just a danceline like everyone else is, she is actually teaching them to be professional dancers, tell me how many big dancers in plays, broadway etc have you ever seen? There is a method to the madness.
Now you see how we feel. lol

@Tigerpride Some schools should be more embarrassed allowing their girls to perform stripper, p-popping like their in the club legs wide opened, rolling on the ground etc but i digress lol. That is the saddest part of our culture. Some dancelines should be strictly allowed in Magic City Strip Club. lol

I didn't mention any names but before one throws stones make sure they aren't in a glass house.

@Tigerpride Some schools should be more embarrassed allowing their girls to perform stripper, p-popping like their in the club legs wide opened, rolling on the ground etc but i digress lol. That is the saddest part of our culture. Some dancelines should be strictly allowed in Magic City Strip Club. lol

Alcorn is the only school with dancers that have some cringe worthy moments .... everybody else is fine. Speaking only for the SWAC tho

Dude, you're the first one to complain about JSU's women. They're some of the classiest women in the SWAC.

Whoomp there it is! Every HBCU dance team is copying something the Prancing J-Settes did originally!

When it come to HBCU dance teams, their are two distinct dance line styles: Prancing J-Settes and Dancing Dolls. Everyone else, with the exception of PV's Black Foxes, are a poor knockoff of one or a failed mixture of the two distinct dance line styles..

Last edited:
Well the Prancing J-Settes used to be the same but they cleaned up their act a whole lot in recent years. Alcorn dancers are very talented but some things definitely need to be removed

You could've posted this in the other thread like u really wanted too. Don't mind me lol.
I just know Alcorn is your favorite squads mother and originator of this dance line idea

View attachment 5813

This article was written in October 2012, almost six years ago. No current news about this still going on with the Orchesis has been reported, so I'm guessing it was resolved back in 2012.

There's always been a weight requirement for as long as I remember her being there. Some of the thicker girls did get a chance to dance at recitals and various events around campus....just not on the field. That ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Back