Grambling's Gallot Named Top HBCU Leader

The Founder

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/2017/11/10/gramblings-gallot-named-top-hbcu-leader/852994001/

Grambling State University President Rick Gallot was recognized with the HBCUGrow LEAD award for “Best Leadership” at the group’s 2017 annual LEAD Conference in Raleigh, N.C.

Gallot, who was nominated in his first year as GSU's 10th president, was recognized for his energetic, student-centered approach to leadership and the university’s growing list of recent accomplishments, including record enrollment and a recent $1.2 million raised from alumni and donors in just four months.

“In your first year, any award is an honor," Gallot said. "This acknowledgment from HBCUGrow is significant because it means our peers and others across the nation can see the progress with our students and campus.

"It’s a privilege to lead Grambling because of our students, faculty and administrative community members. They’re the ones who make the vision possible.”

Gallot is also reviving the school's nursing program, has secured seed money for a new library and another $2 million in federal grands and contract funding.

Gallot has done an excellent job as president. I wish we could switch. Dr. Lane is not the president TSU needs ... he's seemingly more concerned with making social appearances and playing the ambassador role than making TSU a top tier research institution.

Gallot has done an excellent job as president. I wish we could switch. Dr. Lane is not the president TSU needs ... he's seemingly more concerned with making social appearances and playing the ambassador role than making TSU a top tier research institution.

Yeah! Additionally, I think the jury is still out on Southern's Dr. Ray Belton. But I truly hope he can move the institution forward.

I thought y'all liked Lane?

I thought y'all liked Lane?

If you haven't noticed I'm different from most of the TSU faithful on here. He's simply not serious about making TSU a top contender, he seems to be just fine with going along with the flow and having fun with alumni .... nothing significant or noteworthy has happened since he's been president outside of the fancy Maroon & Grey fundraiser downtown. I'll gladly eat my words if need be but my discernment rarely leads me astray.

The campus beauty is finally competitive with PV and UH but that's thanks to Rudley. We're finally getting a new library soon too but that money was secured during Rudley's administration. I want TSU to be where FAMU is ... a public HBCU that's highly respected in almost all rankings and attracting the best students worldwide.

Last edited:
That is how I feel about SU Pres. He is just a face. He does nothing to put the university in a bad light, but at the same time is not trying to bring SUBR to the next lev3l. He is not a bad person, actually very pleasnt, but not one to get SUBR to the next level. Just there to be a face

What Rick is doing is bringing trust back to the university. Also, it's the small things such as being able to relate to students as an alum. Posing with band members, talking with sorority and fraternity leaders about his time in as an undergrad. Hiring better staff, utilizing the internal auditor.

If you haven't noticed I'm different from most of the TSU faithful on here. He's simply not serious about making TSU a top contender, he seems to be just fine with going along with the flow and having fun with alumni .... nothing significant or noteworthy has happened since he's been president outside of the fancy Maroon & Grey fundraiser downtown. I'll gladly eat my words if need be but my discernment rarely leads me astray.

The campus beauty is finally competitive with PV and UH but that's thanks to Rudley. We're finally getting a new library soon too but that money was secured during Rudley's administration. I want TSU to be where FAMU is ... a public HBCU that's highly respected in almost all rankings and attracting the best students worldwide.

Well I said before that Rudley was getting a bad rap after making some positive moves. But it seems TSU folks were happy about superficial crap like Lane out there stepping and carrying on.

Yeah! Additionally, I think the jury is still out on Southern's Dr. Ray Belton. But I truly hope he can move the institution forward.

That is how I feel about SU Pres. He is just a face. He does nothing to put the university in a bad light, but at the same time is not trying to bring SUBR to the next lev3l. He is not a bad person, actually very pleasnt, but not one to get SUBR to the next level. Just there to be a face

Yes, Belton needs to go. Actually he's worse than our president. I did some research on Belton and my conclusion is he's there to collect a paycheck. I'm not impressed with how he's transforming the institution, SU is in dire need of campus improvements but that doesn't seem to happen soon b/c he's waiting on money from the state instead of finding creative ways to raise the funds necessary, and there's just not much to brag about with SU. We need passionate and skilled leaders to lead our schools and take them to newer heights.

SU is another one of those schools that's big on the "hook-up culture" to the detriment of the school.

Well I said before that Rudley was getting a bad rap after making some positive moves. But it seems TSU folks were happy about superficial crap like Lane out there stepping and carrying on.

Well Rudley was getting a bad rap mainly b/c the students were vilifying him on social media and in the student newspaper for two reasons. 1) They blamed Rudley for a weak homecoming b/c he made some decisions that likely watered it down but homecoming has improved since they made some changes. But to be honest, homecoming was not really a super big deal like it is a PV, Howard, etc. I mean it's a big deal to many of the students and alumni but we never really drew impressively huge crowds like you'll see at PV, Howard, etc. We always did good enough if that make sense. 2) The students were mad he took away the greek trees to better preserve the trees on campus. This was very confusing b/c the most vocal students about the greek trees were non-greeks and likely will never be greek on campus ... the selection process at TSU defies logic and is dangerous (except for one sorority in particular). And even though Rudley took away the trees, he gave the greeks a section behind the student center with benches and their letters but that wasn't enough. The greek trees are back and are killing the trees again.

And you know black people love shuckin' and jivin' type entertainment. You would've thought he invented stepping with the type of brain dead praise it received in the TSU community ... I'm like am I missing something? He's a relatively young president and a black man that grew up in the hood then later went to Langston for undergrad ... of course he has rhythm and knows how to party but who cares! I'll go crazy once our graduation rates is over 35%, he raised over 100 million dollars, he secures Barack Obama as the keynote graduation speaker, something that matters long term

Last edited:
SUBR is coming along, I think the 10 million in projects will help, but I agree I have said this many times SU has the programs Nursing, Engineering,,Law are doing well along with Environmental Toxicology and Urban Foresty, and CS just remodeled and expanded its facility. But NEW Academic Buildings is what is killing SU. Most of the buildings need to be torn down, FACT.., but waiting on the state is not helping SU cause. I will say this if SUBR gets the funding sooner rather then later watch the enrollment increase faster. I have always felt that has been SUBR Achilles heel. Most HBCU have improve the overall infrastructure of their campuses while Southern University has been behind

Last edited:
SUBR is coming along, I think the 10 million in projects will help, but I agree I have said this many times SU has the programs Nursing, Engineering,,Law are doing well along with Environmental Toxicology and Urban Foresty, and CS just remodeled and expanded its facility. But NEW Academic Buildings is what is killing SU. Most of the buildings need to be torn down, FACT.., but waiting on the state is not helping SU cause. I will say this if SUBR gets the funding sooner rather then later watch the enrollment increase faster. I have always felt that has been SUBR Achilles heel. Most HBCU have improve the overall infrastructure of their campuses while Southern University has been behind

1) I agree nursing, engineering, law are the most notable academic programs at SU. I read out about SU educated nurses, engineers, and lawyers often and they are doing quite well for themselves.

2) Most of the campus has deteriorated, not just the academic buildings. I toured the campus recently with some of the young men I mentor and the bad buildings outnumbered the good ones. I even thought the student center seen better days compared to what we have at TSU. I loved the outlook on the Mississippi River, the new intramural center, and football stadium ... that's all that really stood out to me as "impressive". The engineering building looked very nice from the outside but I didn't go in. Outside of joining the Human Jukebox, an athletic scholarship, and maybe family tradition, I honestly don't see why any Texas student would want to pass up TSU and PV (both beautiful and more modern campuses in a huge metropolitan area) to come to SU but we were told over 200 of them did

3) SU enrollment is fine. Anything too much more would cause overcrowding and serious administration problems. 5-7K is manageable until they are able to hire faculty to accommodate the growth

Last edited:
Back