Grambling Vs Tsu: Will Da Real Tiger Come Forward

PRINCE HALL

Which TIGER WILL BRING THE BACON HOME?

July 25, 2002

Columnist Ron Kantowski: Promoters gambling on Grambling
Ron Kantowski's insider notes column appears Tuesday and his Page One column appears Thursday. He can be reached at ron@lasvegassun.com or (702) 259-4088.

???
When it comes to sports, Las Vegas is like a giant wall. Promoters keep throwing stuff against us, seeing what will stick. Only our wall must be made of Teflon.

Regardless of how many Las Vegas sports franchises/events come and go, optimistic promoters keep coming back for more. Or when it comes to spectators in the stands, less.

In the past month alone, we've hosted a basketball tournament featuring 300-pound Magic Johnson and a bunch of his drinking buddies, an off-road race held in 119-degree heat, pro soccer featuring club teams from Mexico, at least a dozen martial arts butt-kicking contests and a 344-team high school basketball tourney that requires 26 local gymnasiums.

Do yourself a favor. Don't ask "Who's got next?" You may get stampeded.

It has been a sports cornucopia around here recently. Or at least a horn of not-so-plenty. And let's not forget the chuckwagon races are less than two months away.

Las Vegas may be the Entertainment Capital of the World, but when it comes to sports, we're closer to "Let's Make a Deal." One of these days, Monty Hall is going to come down the aisle and ask local fans if we'd like to trade the 51s for what Jay has in the box.

This week, it's the Silver Dollar Classic, a college football game featuring black school powers Grambling and Tennessee State Sept. 21 at Sam Boyd Stadium, that is competing for our limited attention.

The Rebels will be at Toledo that day, so the game will provide UNLV with a way to make some easy cash on a "track rental." Unfortunately, that will probably be the Silver Dollar Classic's legacy.

That's too bad, because on paper, this one has something to offer. For starters, it's a chance for locals to become acquainted with a proud Grambling program that over the years has sent more than 200 athletes into the pros.

It's also a chance for the local African-American community -- and for that matter, the non-African American community -- to become acquainted with the Historically Black College and University (HBCU) experience.

Silver Dollar Classic vice president Earl Harris grew up in Gary, Ind., before settling in Los Angeles, meaning he has been exposed to the Jackson 5, but not to the Grambling 11.

"To me, black college football is UCLA or USC or Long Beach State," he said.

Not exactly the same thing.

And nothing against the Southern Cal marching band, which has played on Fleetwood Mac albums and at presidential inaugurations. But not even KC and his Sunshine Band can shake their booties like the Tiger Marching Band, the first to be inducted into the NCAA Hall of Champions in Indianapolis.

Organizers say 10,000 tickets already have purchased, as alumni and boosters of the teams seem more excited to partake in the Las Vegas experience than the other way around. So maybe there's a chance this one will stick.

But fearing that a press conference in late July to promote a black college football game wouldn't entice enough media attention, Doug Williams, the Grambling coach and former Super Bowl MVP, was planning to marry Dr. Lisa Judge in the Sam Boyd press box today.

And here I thought coming up with a clever lead paragraph was the most glorious thing that ever transpired up there.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let set the record straight now.

Football game: A flawless victory for TSU:D

Halftime: Tennessee State's Aristocrat of Bands :D
Grambling State's Tiger Band:rolleyes:

Football: GSU if they don't start slippin
Band: TnSU all the way, but GSU made some improvements last season.

...Whoever heard of a Blue Tiger??????

......The "baby-blue" better get that qb situation in order before the 21st of September....(see below from www.tennessean.com)

Questions at quarterback put TSU, Tech third in poll

By CHIP CIRILLO
Staff Writer

Keep an eye on the middle of the pack.

That's where Tennessee State's football team was picked to finish at the Ohio Valley Conference Media Day in Nashville yesterday.

TSU and Tennessee Tech tied for third in a preseason poll of OVC coaches and sports information directors behind Eastern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky.

''If a lot of things fall into place and if our defense steps up, then I think we'll have a pretty good season,'' TSU Coach James Reese said. ''We have seven returning starters on defense, which we feel is probably going to be our main strength.''

The Tigers went 8-3 last season, led by a powerful offense that averaged 465 yards per game. Quarterback Shannon Harris threw for more than 3,000 yards and 26 touchdowns last fall, but his graduation leaves a three-way battle among Kenny Irby, Bryson Rosser and Riley Walker.

Tech also graduated a prolific passer in Grant Swallows and is counting on little-used sophomore Robert Craft, but the Golden Eagles have enough talent coming back from last year's 7-3 team to expect another strong showing.

''We've got some receivers that we think are very, very competitive, but quarterback is the biggest question mark, obviously,'' Tech Coach Mike Hennigan said.

''We're possibly looking at the most competitive football schedule that we've had at Tennessee Tech in sometime.''

Defending champion Eastern Illinois earned 11 first-place votes after going 9-2 last season, including a 6-0 mark in the OVC. EIU quarterback Tony Romo, a two-time OVC Offensive Player of the Year, returns after passing for 5,047 yards and 51 touchdowns during his first three seasons.

''I think the league is going to be the strongest it's ever been, at least in the six years that we've been in the OVC,'' EIU Coach Bob Spoo said. ''Teams are going to be gunning for us, and I just hope our players have prepared themselves properly to meet the challenge because it's going to be a big one.''

Eastern Kentucky got the other three first-place votes after enjoying an 8-2 record last fall as the Colonels won their last seven games, but missed the Division I-AA playoffs. Street & Smith's selected EKU second nationally behind Montana in its preseason poll.

''Starting out the year, I felt we could be pretty good, but I think you win championships on defense, and this is where we're going to be lacking a little bit,'' EKU Coach Roy Kidd said.

''We lost seven starters on our defensive football team, so we've got a lot of rebuilding to do there.''

All-OVC preseason team, 5C.

OVC predictions

Team, votes

1. Eastern Illinois 71

2. Eastern Kentucky 61

T3. Tennessee State 45

T3. Tennessee Tech 45

5. Murray State 36

6. Southeast Missouri 24

7. Tennessee-Martin 12

Can't wait for this one.....TSU all the way baby.......If you haven't heard of a Blue Tiger you will come Sept.21.....when the tigers and The Aristocrat of Bands step into Sam Boyd.....I got my ticket and ready to see some good Football....
T-STANDS FOR TENNESSEE
S-S.T.A.T.E
U-UNIVERSITY
TSU :D

It should be a good one. The West Coast just can't
wait for some HBCU FOOTBALL. Both schools will take the city by storm.

Originally posted by PRINCE HALL
It should be a good one. The West Coast just can't
wait for some HBCU FOOTBALL. Both schools will take the city by storm.
True, A lot of people from the L.A. area will be there. Out of desperation to see a HBCU game I would drive the 4 hrs. to see gSU and tSU. But it ain't gonna happen. :smh: :smh: :smh:
SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY

I wish I had a 4 hour trip for this game... :(

According to Yahoo Maps, estimated drive from Nashville to Las Vegas

24 hours and 34 minutes!!!!

You Didn't Know!!!

Originally posted by Cojack
Let set the record straight now.

Football game: A flawless victory for TSU:D

Halftime: Tennessee State's Aristocrat of Bands :D
Grambling State's Tiger Band:rolleyes:

Nuff Said!!!

This sports writer, is acting like the black folks in Vegas has never attended a HBCU Football Game. TSU, has an alumni assoiaction in Vegas. Half the negros living in the city are from the south.

Silver Dollar Classic: Grambling State vs. Tennessee State
Sam Boyd Stadium and Park
7000 E. Russell Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89122
(702) 739-FANS
(866) 388-FANS

Price: $20.00, $30.00, $50.00, $75.00
Payment options: American Express, Cash, MasterCard, VISA
Showtimes: 7:30 p.m.
Show dates: Sept. 21, 2002
Reservations: Reservations Recommended
Age Restrictions: None